BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
shahar.dori
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000b
PIN: N/A
Carrier: pelephone
Wink What are the most useful things your bb does? post yours!

Please Login to Remove!

hey!

as i continue my journey with the amazing BBB, i realize new things everyday. mostly i'm surprised to find about features i didn't know about..

maybe people could enjoy discovering new things through posts of people - telling about the most useful and cool things their device can do..

you can post about basic thinks (use pin number to converse with friends), cool app (evernote - the most efficient app ever!) or just other cool timer-saving features..

here's mine : evernote - an app that helps you control every mission you take during the day, by recording it and uploading it to a server. when i get home to my desk, it's on my PC, and i'm ready to work.. ota :

Evernote for BlackBerry: Direct Downloads « Evernote Blogcast

good day!
Old 12-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

viigo, vlingo, scoremobile, dictionary.com for blackberry... most useful apps imho
bbm, messaging, and calendar are the best features on this phone.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

Make phone calls.
Receive phone calls.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
john.mccoy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I use mine for calls, tasks,appointments, shopping list and basically to stay organized. It is a lifesaver to stay organized with it.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Two things I've noticed that happen to coincide with the two most important functions of my blackberry (for me). I never ask for a map at the rental car counter any more. And those long walls of pay phones in the conference centers at big hotels are gone. The wall is there, but just one pay phone.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

E-mail.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones
Wirelessly posted

Make phone calls.
Receive phone calls.
Wait... These can do that sorta thing??

I got sms, facebook, beejive, email and web
Old 12-27-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
rafacore

Model: BOLD
Carrier: Telcel (Mexico)

Wirelessly posted

Mine do lots of things. Keeps my life organized, keep me in contact, mail, facebook, messenger; save my passwords and other data, its my music player, its a source of info, when i have a doubt, a can ask to google wherever i am.

Last edited by rafacore; 12-27-2009 at 02:32 AM..
Old 12-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

In my case Worldmate with a gold subscription has proved useful. Keeps the flight schedule organized in one place, integrates with possible appointments in the calendar, allows to mass share flight itineraries and meetings with the rest of your team with one click, even offers alternatives on cancelled flights and helps with hotel bookings. Even if you crash horribly and/or you misplace your bb getting all your info back after you get your hands on a working handset again is a matter of seconds, log in with username/password and automagically your 20 flight hops with the 30 hotel bookings, the addresses of all 45374545 meeting times and addresses and the 457345634534 confirmation numbers you have no chance on earth remembering are on your fingertips again. You can even select map integration between bb maps or google maps. Uber cool. I give it an 8 out of 10 because of some delays on flight status updates.

Gypsii also works lovely. Although i mostly use it for real time tracking of friends and coworkers (in a google latitude fashion) the interface extends the interaction to updating third party social networks or share photos and info on places that latitude doesnt cater for. Once again uber cool.

Podtrapper is easily the best coded audio/video feed syndication app in app world. Allows for extensive granularity per feed settings, the interface looks really nice and makes sense, it's fast, goes easy on the batt, and if you mail the developer you get a personal reply in seconds. Can even impersonate iTunes if you're polling Apple Store podcast/videocast feeds! Polls daily The Wall Street Journal This Morning for me, along with the LSE lectures and EconTalk, even the videos from Tedtalks play with no issues!! Drop a 16G micro sd in and sail away. Love! Love! Love! Worth every penny.

Repligo Reader is hands down the best PDF rendering app available. Recently released a new update and it's now even better, the "reading view" mode is crisp and clear, refreshes and displays pages suspiciously fast, i have thrown on it pdfs from a few kb to a few megabytes, from text to mathematical equations to pdfs with embedded photos to japanese text and it hasn't chocked on me once. If you're in the market for a pdf reader that's the one to get, take my word for it.

CardKaller is another app i frequently ab(use). Although the intended use is to preset calling card information and then use the contacts integration to call far away acquaintances using the calling card tariffs with a couple of clicks i slightly use it in a different manner. Instead of calling cards i have setup DTMF authentication on the work telephone exchange and one personal exchange i maintain in a colo that terminates on a voip service. Since RIM would never allow us to drop transport on voip services and our carriers wouldn't entertain the idea any time soon either i can now hook on my personal PBX just by calling a local rate termination number (i can have one in every country on the globe, they're dirt cheap) and then get a dialtone and call over voip any number on my contact list with 2 clicks. I don't even have to dial a single digit. I login, authenticate, get a dialtone and call out just by selecting the contact. I still use minutes, but im having transatlantic conversations on a local call dime. Works for me.

Wikimobile from Bonfire Media is a nice wikipedia app, rendering is fast and when bored that "Random Article" button comes handy.

A couple of banks i deal with in far away lands have apps that integrate directly with the accounts. Allows for transfers, balances, payments, even sends alerts triggered by pre configured events. You can cancel cards, check balances, make payments or order currency. Handy and fast. HSBC, first direct, Ulster and a handful more all support the platform. For some strange reason it's the fastest app on all my blackberries this far.

Trading platforms have also jumped on the berry bandwagon. From small CFDs to full blown direct access platforms there is almost in every vendor a blackberry app with *some* degree of usability. Personally i find the app from ig the fastest/most responsive but i dont use it much (mainly because my ig account is rather small, and because i have access to proper trading terminals that hook directly to true time feeds that are easier on the eyes) For monitoring purposes while on the road though fills the gap nicely. For me that is, i know people that actively mobile trade.

And that's basically it as far as "production" tasks go. Now for entertainment Vision for Youtube has to be the best youtube app (surprisingly it's free), Kobo has a rather nice working interface for buying/previewing book titles, Chess by Odessys is hands down the strongest chess engine available (on the high settings of the paid app, not the free mode on the free one) and even allows for FICS playing over the network with remote players! You can challenge people all over the planet, play some quickie 5min blitz chess over lunch or practice your openings strategies. Works over EDGE, works over 3G, no delays, no choking, no spinning bottles, bliss. The magic of the intrawebs!

Hope i gave you a couple of ideas Oh, and welcome to bb world!

Disclaimer: The above describe personal experiences, none of the above mentioned companies pay me anything, i buy my own apps. if you use some/any of the above mentioned apps and doesn't perform for you i can do without the b/itching. i DO NOT encourage you to go spend your money on any of the apps mentioned and if you do please don't come to me with support issues. Vendor support channel details would be made available to you with your purchase, use it.

Last edited by the-economist; 12-27-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Old 12-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #10
MaxPayne79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 2165f8ed
Carrier: Fido

for me it's radio for sports and talk radio, social media of course (msn, icq, youtube - twitter - facebook aka YouTwitFace, lol), email, all sorts of news apps like viigo, Thomson Reuters, world politics review, 680news, and mag apps like Maclean's and The economist for when im sitting on the toilet at work. Bloomberg mobile to follow the market and anticipate gas prices for the next day/week (i race my shivic and fly planes on my off days), and WeatherEye for forthcoming weather conditions. Personal Assistant by Pegeonce is an awesome app that lets u see all of ur banking information in one app. If u play the market, its a great little (free) app for a quick over view of what's happing inside ur financials. And many many awesome little apps like Upvise which has the best Wikipedia interface on the free market, and BTsidekick which is a little app that finds whatever you're looking for within a 10 kilometer radius of ur phone (you). Are u hungry and looking for a burger joint or a Chinese joint? whichever, sidekick will find the closest one, then show u diving directions via blackberry maps. Luv it.

Last edited by MaxPayne79; 12-29-2009 at 03:14 AM..
Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

And minor update to include Deezer and the last.fm blackberry app, along with the Amazon Kindle Blackberry app that now supports whispernet!!! You can now browse/buy books in a SINGLE click, either on the blackberry directly or the amazon site. Anything you buy on amazon.com using your computer syncs to the blackberry OTA. Perfect.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
cannonblackberry

Model: 8120
Carrier: vodafone

My BBM keeps life balanced for me. Work, social etc
Closed Thread