BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #41
i2k
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Interesting thread, I too have travelled overseas with EDGE devices in the past and had no issues.. will be good to know a decent outcome on this
Old 12-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #42
coolspot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Robbers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpilot View Post
International tech support was no help. A tech is looking into the issues. They said this is a known problem.

I'm really screwed without data here. Thoughts?
Different regions have different 3G spectrum. Perhaps the BB only supports the home 3G spectrum? You maybe stuck with EDGE only.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #43
mallocfailure

Model: 9700

With my stock OS AT&T Bold, I've have 0 international data issues - and that includes trips to the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Japan, Singapore, and Malaysia. I'll be in Bangkok later today and will report if there are any issues, but I can absolutely confirm that not everyone is experiencing these international data issues!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #44
JvKintheUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have an unlocked Bold from Rogers with an ATT SIM card, and i recently went to Europe. Prior to my trip, I called ATT and informed them that I will be using my Bold in Europe. Apparently they enabled my Bold for use abroad. Not sure what they exactly did, but I had no problems getting SMS or email, and uploaded several pictures to Flickr successfully. Give ATT a call and let them know you will be using your phone overseas.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #45
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvKintheUSA View Post
I have an unlocked Bold from Rogers with an ATT SIM card, and i recently went to Europe. Prior to my trip, I called ATT and informed them that I will be using my Bold in Europe. Apparently they enabled my Bold for use abroad. Not sure what they exactly did, but I had no problems getting SMS or email, and uploaded several pictures to Flickr successfully. Give ATT a call and let them know you will be using your phone overseas.
But doesn't an unlocked bold from any but AT&T have the 2G/3G options available? We know the AT&T bold does not. When you were in Europe, was the bold in 3G?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #46
JvKintheUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

You are correct, I do have the option of switching between 2G, 3G or 2G/3G, but used 3G when I was in Europe. 3G coverage seems to be much better there then in the US.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #47
caggie01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25DB352D

Quote:
Originally Posted by caggie01 View Post
In Europe now; Edinburgh, Scotland. Running 3G most of time, no issue at all, receiving and sending emails, internet access, phone calls, etc. Traveling to London tonight, Netherlands Tuesday night, will update on 3G performance in those locations as well.
Spent Monday night and all day Tuesday in LOndon and Backnell, no issues.
Flew to Amsterdam Tue night, visited customers all day WEd, not issues.

AT&T
9800 Torch
Playbook 64G
Old 01-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #48
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Are there any updates on the international 3g Bold problem? Does the absence of recent postings indicate that this is not really a problem after all?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #49
bhui

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular
Default 3g 2g issue

I unlocked my rogers blackberry on my own. there are threads on the net to do this... but in short all you need to do is flash the rom and reinstall the OS

I also reflashed my rom using 4.6.0.210 and am using a att and rogers sim in canada.

I am having 3g problems with gmail but internet is fine.

This makes me believe that its related to push operations.

I can switch between 2 g and 3g and on 2g emails flow just fine.

my older 8800 was fine when I travelled in latin america and in europe.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #50
atisvt99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: VZW

It's still an issue for us in Kuwait. ATT branded bolds are not able to use data functions when they are in 3G mode. And since these are ATT branded bolds, there is no way to force 2G (EDGE) mode operations on the devices. Voice/SMS seem to be working fine... but still no dice on the data side of the house.

I do know that the young woman who has been helping me from the ATT roaming services division has shipped over a new SIM card to my guy stationed in Kuwait. But with their national holidays a couple of weeks ago, and our holidays going on over here as of late, there has been very little headway. I'll keep the thread updated as new info becomes available.

Also, I don't think this is a problem *everywhere* overseas... Based on replies within this thread, most of Europe, Asia and South America seems to be working fine... The middle east is not the same story though.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #51
wcberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10

The problem is still in Kuwait and I believe other SouthWest Asia countries. My ATT branded Bold will not get data while in 3G. Having it unlocked does not matter, nor does putting other firmware on it. It is hard coded in the ATT branded phones, NOT to have the ability to change between 2G (EDGE) and 3G. During the times, it may drop 3G and go back to 2G, all the email will pop in. Once it goes back to 3G, it stops.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #52
swich2mac

Model: 8703e

Hey all, no expert here but I understand that there are many different 3G frequencies that carriers use throughout the world. In the states, I believe that AT&T uses the 2100MHz spectrum and it may be that the carriers that you are roaming on are using a different one. Hence, your device would have to include a radio that supports it. It may just be an incompatibility issue.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #53
grinch

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

AT&T uses 1900Mhz and (now, finally) 850Mhz frequency in the USA.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #54
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Can anyone confirm whether there are any AT&T Bold data or email problems in Spain and/or Israel?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #55
brenac

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-mobile uk

same in zurich switzerland on swisscom 3g. mobile is acked by the network to go from gprs to edge and then to 3g. when on 3g bold 9000 with latest software built is stuck with sos icon...and no way to make even a call ! the only way is to allow the phone to work only on 2g networks.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #56
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

Just back from Germany. I got 3G with no problem in Frankfurt and Mainz. I bounced from 3G-EDGE-GRPS all the time while in the Black Forest, but mail was solid where ever I was. The GPS on the Bold was very handy in the woods.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #57
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Has anyone had success with a non-AT&T Bold using international data through AT&T? That's my situation. I have an unlocked Rogers Bold I use on AT&T, so I do indeed have the option to toggle off 3G service. I haven't traveled with my Bold yet, but it's coming up and I'd like to know what I'm getting into here!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #58
ryusoma

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Telus

I'll be roaming around Japan for the next few weeks with my Rogers Bold running on a rental SIM (don't know if it's Softbank or DoCoMo yet). I will report back on the reliability. Will I have to reconfigure any gateways, service books, etc switching the phone from Rogers to another provider or will all that be provisioned when the new SIM card boots? I know phone calls will work, but it's the browsing, email etc that concerns me.

PS - I'm not able to justify being r**ed by Rogers for hundreds or thousands of dollars for international roaming.. but ~$150 for unlimited data and incoming calls with a rental package works for me.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #59
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara View Post
For me this is huge. I'm paying $20/month extra for international data and expected to get it, and get it in 3G with my new Bold.
Wow ONLY $20? Last I heard it was $70 a month additional.

This might do you get the 3g[lower case g] symbol minus the blackberry symbol or just edge only?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #60
stufried
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E61
Carrier: Eitislat

I'm just thinking out loud here, but from what I understand you can't access 2g with an ATT Bold and an ATT SIM. If you use an ATT Bold and someone else's SIM, you are ok.

What if we try inserting one of the unlocking inserts (like iPhone users use) between the ATT SIM and an unlocked ATT Bold and program that wedge t say that it is a Rogers SIM? From what I understand, these devices boot up and initially push false network id information to the phone. Thoughts?
Closed Thread