BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #21
RonnyBoy

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry. My reply didn't appear immediately so I thought it got lost and re-pasted.

I tried unticking the via wap streaming box on browser options to see if any difference. It crashed when I tried youtube on wifi, and still had the same green loading logo when I tried it on 3G.

I guess it must be a uk thing and I'm sure it's not the handset as it was replaced this morning and had same probs with both.

I'll keep at it but thanks for your helo.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #22
RonnyBoy

Apologies about my shadow. I've got the hang of it now.

Thanks santos (and totaldistinction) for pointing out how to get to browser options.

I must be close to this if you experienced the green loading logo problem.

Here's my discoveries - I have unticked via wap streaming and have crashed the device twice now trying to access youtube by wifi (although this may be through my over-tonking it rather than unticking the via wap streaming)

Santos, you said to close the media player and keep trying. Now, I couldn't find an obvious way of closing the media player. I resorted to pressing the back key and clicking on the youtube vid link again (I did this 3 times which led to my second crash)

Please forgive me if I'm being utterly naïve. I also tried closing the player from 'close' in the options menu but to no avail.

Am I missing a trick? Thanks for putting up with all this.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #23
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyBoy View Post
Santos, you said to close the media player and keep trying. Now, I couldn't find an obvious way of closing the media player. I resorted to pressing the back key and clicking on the youtube vid link again (I did this 3 times which led to my second crash)

Please forgive me if I'm being utterly naïve. I also tried closing the player from 'close' in the options menu but to no avail.

Am I missing a trick? Thanks for putting up with all this.
Nope, "Close" through the Media Player menu is the way to close it and try again from the Youtube link. I can't really get it to fail on Wi-Fi on the Bold. Do you get a pop-up saying "An error has occurred attempting to play media" ?

Santo
Old 08-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

One more thing to try as an Orange user. Have a look at this thread about upgrading your Bold OS. Rogers has a later OS build than Orange so we may be talking "apples and oranges". Looks like some other Orange users have had luck with this version and Youtube.

Santo

Last edited by santo; 08-24-2008 at 05:22 PM..
Old 08-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #25
torberry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misake View Post
Hi Santo! I unclicked the "Switching the WAP for streaming media" option, but it still doesn't work...
I second that Misake. No Tube for me either.

Side note- the wifi is really quick and much, much quicker (I'd guess 3x-4x) than the 3G.

Last edited by torberry; 08-24-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Old 08-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #26
sandmanfvr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

This is not good to here. I mean, with the new bold I was hoping for multimedia that would be great. I hope the US releases are better.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #27
raymond_hui888
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: rogers

have you turn on your wifi... the youtube won't work if my curve uses only edge. The speed is not fast enuf. When i turn on wifi.... it works beautifully... i have the 8320.
Now w/ my bold, i have no problem viewing youtube videos...
Old 08-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #28
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
I second that Misake. No Tube for me either.

Side note- the wifi is really quick and much, much quicker (I'd guess 3x-4x) than the 3G.

Youtube works great on my bold with wifi and 3G.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #29

Tried it all again to confirm. 3G I can play YouTube (green loading box followed by buffering), with wifi, I get the cannot play error after seeing the green loading box briefly.

Same video before and after turning wifi on/off.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #30
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm not sure what to say since it works for me both in 3g and Wi-Fi. Perhaps it's got something to do with settings on your Wi-Fi router? I have a Linksys 54G with an older version of DD-WRT on it, if that helps.

Santo
Old 08-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #31
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I'm not sure what to say since it works for me both in 3g and Wi-Fi. Perhaps it's got something to do with settings on your Wi-Fi router? I have a Linksys 54G with an older version of DD-WRT on it, if that helps.

Santo

I agree, I don't think it's his bold that's the problem.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #32
Misake

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post

Santo
Ok thanks Santo I don't really watch youtube videos anyway, but I guess since i know it IS possible, it just frustrates me knowing that I can't watch any :(
Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #33
torberry

ERROR PLAYING (RED)
! ERROR HAS OCCURRED ATTEMPTING TO PLAY MEDIA

WIFI ON/OFF, WAP PLAYER OPTION UNCHECKED.

Any tips?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #34
Misake

At work now...Monday morning Added the wifi network here...tried youtube...and it WORKED!!! This is with the "Switching the WAP for streaming media" option ticked OFF. Oh I'm assuming too that the phone is using WIFI and not 3G since the WIFI icon is showing...? But anyway, can anybody explain why it works in the office and not at home?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #35
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
At work now...Monday morning Added the wifi network here...tried youtube...and it WORKED!!! This is with the "Switching the WAP for streaming media" option ticked OFF. Oh I'm assuming too that the phone is using WIFI and not 3G since the WIFI icon is showing...? But anyway, can anybody explain why it works in the office and not at home?
I hope I come off in the right way (nice way) but if you got it to work with your Bold at work, then the Bold is not the problem and we know that Wifi is possible.

With your struggles, it's likely the wifi configuration at your house.

Does wifi at your house work at all with your bold? Could you have put in the wrong password for the wifi network. Temporarily try your wifi at home with no password to see if it works. Do you have MAC filtering turned on on your router?

There's many possibiliities but the fact you got it to work at work with your Bold points me to your wifi setup at home.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #36
Misake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDistinction View Post
I hope I come off in the right way (nice way) but if you got it to work with your Bold at work, then the Bold is not the problem and we know that Wifi is possible.

With your struggles, it's likely the wifi configuration at your house.

Does wifi at your house work at all with your bold? Could you have put in the wrong password for the wifi network. Temporarily try your wifi at home with no password to see if it works. Do you have MAC filtering turned on on your router?

There's many possibiliities but the fact you got it to work at work with your Bold points me to your wifi setup at home.
O no worries, thanks for your input! I had a feeling that it may not be the phone itself now that it works in the office! I will definately try taking out the password when I get home tonight, and then the MAC filtering on the router. I'm sorry if I come across clueless since the Bold is my first BB and I'm definately NOT computer savvy!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #37
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
O no worries, thanks for your input! I had a feeling that it may not be the phone itself now that it works in the office! I will definately try taking out the password when I get home tonight, and then the MAC filtering on the router. I'm sorry if I come across clueless since the Bold is my first BB and I'm definately NOT computer savvy!!!
The password thing is definitely something to check and is relatively a quick test. Assuming that you setup your wifi at home initially and you are as "clueless" as you say you are, chances are that MAC filtering is not the problem because it's typically not turned on by default and is typically and advanced feature.

The password thing is academic though if you can positively confirm that you can browse the web using wifi. If that works, then you don't have a password problem and it's something else with the configuration.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #38
Flare3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers, Telus, Orange

I've seen issues with WiFi on some mobile devices other than BBs. It turned out to be a protocol stack problem. This was when 802.11G was still un-ratified and the B device wouldn't work on a G network. After a firmware update all was good. Could some of the issues that I'm reading about have to do with 802.11n networks?

Can anyone confirm that everything works on a N network?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #39
RonnyBoy

Misake, good to hear you've got youtube working (at least at work).

I updated my Bold to the latest OS this morning (nice - everything seems a bit slicker) but lo, no change on the wifi youtube. The device is still crashing after the third attempt or so and doesn't get past the green loading stage.

I'm going to try and see if I can get onto it from another wifi hotspot, maybe it is the wireless router in my home.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #40
torberry

I've got wifi working 100% and I can view other vid sites, but I just can't get Youtube rocking!

Any tips crew? I'm on Rogers and don't wanna start installing a new OS with everything else now working properly.

Thank you!
Closed Thread