Old 02-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #101
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Get it from Garmin.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #102
trafsta
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I bought my Garmin 5.0.1 back in early October straight from the Garmin website.. so now that I see that 5.04 has been released I would like to upgrade to it as well... so, lets all put our heads together and figure out how to download the latest and greatest version from Garmin :P There must be a way!

EDIT: Well I upgraded to 5.0.2 by downloading off of the 'trial' link. I lost all my favorites and all settings in doing so but at least it appears to still be activated... Now to figure out 5.0.4... someone surely has a download link from a recent purchase perhaps?

Last edited by trafsta; 02-02-2009 at 04:51 PM..
Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #103
Phish

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I purchased the Garmin Mobile app from Handango in December and was given 5.0.4. However I didn't elect to pay for their "download protection" bogus ripoff fee, figuring I'd just download the app from Garmin if I needed to reinstall. I'm constantly checking for updates, but Garmin appears to only give out 5.0.2 when you visit their site.

Try downloading the trial from Handango if you want to get 5.0.4. I just pulled the trial from them a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure that 5.0.4 is what I was given.

For the person asking if 5.0.4 fixes the address edit bug, well, it doesn't. I've had it geocode several addresses with "Suite X" in the address 2 line, and the Garmin app just deletes that value entirely. In fact, it appears to just delete ANYTHING in the address 2 field.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #104
trafsta

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish View Post
Try downloading the trial from Handango if you want to get 5.0.4. I just pulled the trial from them a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure that 5.0.4 is what I was given.
I actually tried that shortly after my last post, it ends up installing as a 2nd install so I have 5.0.2 from Garmin installed and 5.0.4 installed at once. The Handango one only runs as a 3 day trial and there is no way that I can see to activate it permanently, so it seems that perhaps the Handango 5.0.4 is simply a specially released version by Garmin made just for Handango, and that the newest version from Garmin themselves is likely 5.0.2.... but that's just a guess.

When I had 5.0.1 installed earlier today and downloaded 5.0.2 from Garmin it upgraded the 5.0.1 install (although I did lose all settings)... the 5.0.4 from Handango didn't offer to upgrade at all... oh well!

If anyone does figure out how to get 5.0.4 installed for ppl that bought their copy form Garmin directly, please do post on here
Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #105
lloydsfm

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish View Post
...For the person asking if 5.0.4 fixes the address edit bug, well, it doesn't. I've had it geocode several addresses with "Suite X" in the address 2 line, and the Garmin app just deletes that value entirely. In fact, it appears to just delete ANYTHING in the address 2 field.
Thanks for the update. I am glad I did not invest the time moving all my suite numbers to the second address line like Garmin Support suggested I do if they will just get clobbered anyways.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #106
DougMcCready

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default Garmin : Handango version <> Garmin version

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafsta View Post
I actually tried that shortly after my last post, it ends up installing as a 2nd install so I have 5.0.2 from Garmin installed and 5.0.4 installed at once. The Handango one only runs as a 3 day trial and there is no way that I can see to activate it permanently, so it seems that perhaps the Handango 5.0.4 is simply a specially released version by Garmin made just for Handango, and that the newest version from Garmin themselves is likely 5.0.2.... but that's just a guess.
The version on the Handango site is a "Handango branded" version and is slightly different from the version provided on the Garmin site. I originally downloaded the app from Garmin and then purchased the registration from Handango when I found that they had a 25% off sale. When I tried to apply the registration code from Handango, it would not work. The Garmin guy was kind enough to let me know that they are slightly different versions and that the reg code I received from Handango will ONLY work on the Handango version. It will NOT work on a NON-Handango Branded version.

I have not heard of this before - Does this happen with other software for the Blackberry? By the way, I asked for a refund from Handango and was willing to pay Garmin for the full version - Handango refuses to refund and provides no reason and Garmin is not willing to provide me with a "normal" code.

Has anyone else run into this?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #107
jeb8300

PIN: 20CF36D8
Carrier: at&t

sounds to me like 5.0.4 is Handango's version and the Garmin latest version is 5.0.2... I have 5.0.2 installed, went thru the trial and want to purchase.

another concern of mine (and please let me know if you have also experienced this) is that the voice guidance sometimes says "turn right on ..." and the actual turn is left and the screens shows left. it simply mis-speaks? kinda weird, but it can be bad if you dont have the screen in view and make a wrong turn!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #108
Flare3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers, Telus, Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb8300 View Post
sounds to me like 5.0.4 is Handango's version and the Garmin latest version is 5.0.2... I have 5.0.2 installed, went thru the trial and want to purchase.

another concern of mine (and please let me know if you have also experienced this) is that the voice guidance sometimes says "turn right on ..." and the actual turn is left and the screens shows left. it simply mis-speaks? kinda weird, but it can be bad if you dont have the screen in view and make a wrong turn!
I too have noticed that it says "turn right..." when it should be turn left. The first few times I figured I had mis-heard it. But it truly does say the wrong thing. This combined with it changing the postal codes on my address book entries, meaning that I now have to go fix them all will result in me deleting my demo and being glad that I hadn't purchased the product yet. :(
Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 AM   #109
hatembs

Model: 8310
Carrier: DHL

what is the registration code for mobile garmin 5.0.4
Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #110
rsnadel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

Thanks in advance for indulging some questions from a prospective user:
* Does the voice read street names ("turn right in 500 feet on to Maple"), or just give generic directioins ("turn right in 500 feet")?
* If you are talking on the phone, can I assume there the verbal commands are muted? Doesn't that render the device much less effective if you're actively on the phone while driving?
* Does the Bold slow down when multi-tasking with Garmin (i.e. doing more than one function while driving)?
* My use of Google Maps left me wishing the screen refreshed more quickly. Any feedback from Garmin users on screen refresh?
* Does Garmin incorporate "real-time" traffic information (color-coding of highways to reflect current speed and flow conditions)?

Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #111
dwhatfield

Model: 9500
PIN: G Eye2 BeCu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembs View Post
Anything else you would like to ask for?

Say, someone's SS#, bank routing and account #'s, credit card #'s?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #112
Blacklac

I'm going to assume no, but figured I'd ask. I already own a Garmin Mobile receiver for my Palm 750. Anyway to just get the maps/software for free?

I love Garmin Mobile and having it on my phone, but I don't know if I'd pay $100 for it since I can just swap out my SIM card back into my Palm for the same system. I paid almost $200 for it back then too. :(

Well, I have the XT (SD card) version...

Last edited by Blacklac; 04-14-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #113
Phish

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembs View Post
It's tied to a phone PIN, so even if I did give you the code, it would be totally worthless to you.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #114
ebd74

Lightbulb Try these free solutions

In your BB browser

:( can't post links, so please bear with me...

m . google . com / maps (sadly, no voice, but I still use it a lot)
or
wap . amazegps . com (FREE voice navigation, multiple views, a little clunky, but you can't beat the price)
Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #115
Fullfast

Model: 8800
Carrier: O2

Right......I have just downloaded version 5.2.2 EU version from garmin over here in the UK, I am due to go to the US on friday and was going to take it instead of my TomTom so one less device to prove to customs that it works.....does anybody know if it will work over there and if the maps will download at a semi-decent speed???
Old 05-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #116
SBM911

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT
Default Time to "Acquire" Garmin/Satellite Signal

Just downloaded Garmin but am finding that it takes 5 to 15 minutes for the Bold to “Acquire” the satellite signal. Anyone else having this issue (I’m in the metro NY region, but in the burbs so not a high building issue)?

Any tips to get it to lock in quicker?

How quickly do yours' lock in?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #117
baimo

Carrier: att

I have been using garmin with my wm6and s60 devices. However since the bb version for garmin is not the same , I decided to try wayfinder. I bought a one year subscription for 99 bucks. so far I am very impressed with it.
Closed Thread