aenflex
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Boost
Default Instructions on removing Themes from 8330

Please Login to Remove!

How to remove pre-loaded themes from Blackberry Curve 8330 w/Boost Mobile:
This is a guide for people not wanting to update their OS at the same time. These instructions worked for my device: Curve 8330 with DM 6.0 and OS 5.0.
My BB is brand new and came with these versions. If you have older versions, and are looking to update your OS at the same time, Rooster has a very informative post on how to use crackmem to remove things and simultaneously upgrade your OS. These instructions did not work for me at all because I was not upgrading my OS at the same time.
I am on a WXP SP 2.

crackmem was suggested to remove themes, I gave it a try (a couple times) and the verdict was that crackmem didnxxx8217;t do it for me, although it did remove Voice Activated Dialing and TTY and some other crud, so not a total loss. I would recommend it for that, itxxx8217;s very easy. For instructions on using crackmem to remove things, see bottom of post.
How to remove pre-loaded themes from Blackberry Curve 8330 w/Boost Mobile:
1) Install DTM software. It does not need to be open for this process.

2) Install you devices OS on your pc BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

3) Back up your device

4) Install crackmem (optional)

5) After you have done steps 1- 3, click My Computer>Local Disk>Program Files>Common Files>Research in
Motion>Shared>Loader Files>Folder (w/your device model number on it, it should be the only folder you see after clicking loader files) open it then>Java.

6) Now within the Java folder you have a long list of shit that probably doesnxxx8217;t make sense. I organized this list alphabetically for ease of use.

7) Locate your theme files in the list, here are some examples:
net_rim_theme_bbdimentions_icon_320x240_b **
net_rim_theme_bbdimentions_l_320x240_b
net_rim_theme_bbdimentions_today_320x240_b
net_rim_theme_100_320x240_b.COD
net_rim_theme_bbdimension_zen_320x240_b.COD
** This one, the Icon, is the largest theme on my phone, and it is safe to remove that on.

VERY IMPORTANT: I am not going to advise which themes to remove. I have been told not to remove Zen as it is required for full functionality. You will need to do your research to determine which pre-loaded themes you need to keep and which you can let go. I DID NOT remove the Zen theme at all. I painstakingly removed the wrong ones, restored them, removed them, restored them, until what I had left was what I wanted, and my device was working properly. Bear in mind after all is said and done, you may lose some of your third-party (purchased/downloaded) themes. You can easily get them back.

8) Right click on the theme(s) you want gone and click Delete. While you are in there, if you are a newbie like me, I would not suggest removing anything else, unless you know what you are doing.

TIP: The themes you delete will go to your recycle bin, or at least they went to mine. This was very useful because if you delete the wrong one, you can simply xxx8216;restorexxx8217; it from within your recycle bin, and it will go back to the Java folder where it belongs. So donxxx8217;t stress (yet).

9) When you are done deleting, close the folder and plug your device into your pc using the USB cable. Select xxx8216;NOxxx8217; when you are prompted to enable mass storage.

10) Since you arenxxx8217;t updating your OS, you will need to run loader.exe in order to get these changes made to your device. Herexxx8217;s how to do that: click My Computer>Local Disk>Program Files>Common Files>Research in Motion>App Loader, when you open this folder you will see Loader.exe in the list.

11) Double click loader exe and a Wizard will open for you. Continue to move forward through the wizard, clicking next or whatever. You will see that this Wizard looks a lot like the Application Manager in the DTM, and essentially itxxx8217;s exactly the same thing, just not as pretty. The wizard will reload all of your content onto your device, minus the themes you have remove.

12) When the wizard is done, it will tell you that itxxx8217;s finished and you can unplug your device. Your device will be in the middle of a reboot so now wait just a bit.

Check your device to ensure the correct themes are gone and the ones you wanted are still there. If you have done something wrong, open your recycle bin, highlight the themes you have just deleted, and right click to select xxx8216;restorexxx8217;. This will move them back to the Java Folder. Now you simply run Loader.exe again, using the exact same steps as above, and all the themes you removed will be back, your phone will be going thru another reboot, and when it wakes back up, everything will be back to where it was before you started this all.

CRACKMEM xxx8211; Want to clear up even more space? Try using crackmem to take off the VAD and TTY and other spare crap you may never use. Removing 2 themes, VAD, TTY and spare language packs has freed up over 7MB on my devicexxx8217;s internal memory. NOTE: You should just use the DTM software to remove extra language packs, games, Memo Pad, Tasks, etc. Itxxx8217;s very simple and there is no need to use crackmem for it. But you canxxx8217;t remove VAD and TTY and sample pre-loaded media with the DTM, hence, crackmem.

1) If you followed steps above, you have already installed the newest version of crackmem. A zip file should be loaded to your desktop. Unzip the file by double clicking, and finish installing crackmem. Your device is not connected to the pc at this time.
2) Open crackmemxxx8217;s simple one-screen interface. On the left side you will see your OS detected. Click the field to Confirm OS.
3) On the right side of the screen you will see a list of things that crackmem can remove. Simply check the box beside the stuff you want removed.
4) On the far right you will see some command buttons. Click Execute. A box will pop up that says OK or something, and itxxx8217;s very fast.
5) Connect your device to pc again.
6) Run Loader.exe again - click My Computer>Local Disk>Program Files>Common Files>Research in Motion>App Loader, when you open this folder you will see Loader.exe in the list.
7) Double click loader exe and a Wizard will open for you. Continue to move forward through the wizard, clicking next or whatever. You will see that this Wizard looks a lot like the Application Manager in the DTM, and essentially itxxx8217;s exactly the same thing, just not as pretty. The wizard will reload your all of your content onto your device, minus the things crackmem just removed.

DISCLAIMER: I am a total newb, Ixxx8217;ve had my curve for 5 days. I am NOT a techie. I did however spend the better part of 5 hours figuring this out. I have omitted nothing as far as the process I took. Understand you are doing this at your own risk. I highly recommend using this forum and others to educate yourself before making any decisions. BB GURUS xxx8211; please feel free to add to this, or offer better solutions.

Last edited by aenflex; 09-23-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Closed Thread