BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
aiwtd

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default Multiple Sprint / Blackberry 8830 Problems

Please Login to Remove!

I’m a long time Nextel Customer that was happy with my Blackberry 7520 and now I’m an unhappy Sprint Customer with my third Blackberry 8830.

I follow the forum and have found it to be the most informational source on RIM Blackberries. That’s why I’m finally posting and asking for help. How do you get Sprint or RIM attention?

My first Sprint Blackberry 8830 worked fine except it would disconnect immediately after making or receiving a call. It was determined to be defective and they replaced the phone. My second phone lasted about a month then died. Sprint Blackberry support suggested it was the battery. Well it wasn’t the battery it was the phone and they told me I needed a new phone. The interesting thing was they wanted me to pay for the phone because they only warranted my original and the second phone for 30 days.

Well I finally got to a Sprint guy named Doyle and he sent me a new phone (still waiting to see my next bill to see if I get charged for it. Sprint billing is another subject).

Since I’ve switched to Sprint I must have talked to Cooperate Customer Care thirty times or more. I’ve followed the suggestions of others in this forum when talking to them. I really think it comes down to finding the right person . . . someone who cares!

Sprint and RIM are good successful companies! Have any of you been able to get to someone in either companies that can help? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have to many phone calls / hours since switching to Sprint.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 AM   #2
JDWallace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

To start, I have made the same switch in BB from Nextel to Sprint recently. Sad to say though, I have not been having any issues with the new 8830. I love it!

Now to the customer service part, I can tell you there is and will always be problems with Sprint CS. When I had Nextel I didn't have any complaints with their CS. One thing I have figured out is that when you call Sprint CS about a BB, ask to be connected to BB tier 2 support or higher. The basic CS person has ZERO knowledge of a BB, for the most part. All they do is look at a trouble shooting flow chart and turn pages in a book. BB tier 1 are a little better, but not too much from my experience. Heck, I could give you my phone number and help you better than they could, so could 90% of this forum! Tier 2 BB support are a lot more in tune with the BB. Mostly due to they usually own a BB.

Again, this is just from my experience and knowledge. I always ask every CS rep I talk to if they own a BB or ever messed with one. If they say no, then they get a polite "Push me up the food chain!" reply from me. I usually am not happy talking to a CS rep unless they actually own or have owned a BB. In my mind it shows they actually have SOME knowledge on it, which tends to be better than the CS reps you get when you first call in. Now I wouldn't go asking or demanding to talk to Tier 2 BB support over a bill problem, but I have had great success asking. Matter of fact, I'll give you a little example from when I switched from my Nextel 7520 BB to the Sprint 8830 BB. the first girl my call went to had a slight attitude that day right from the start. I went through the motions of telling her I needed to active my phone and what have you. As soon as I said BB she started sighing and huffing, so I politely ask to be pushed up the food chain and got a manager. It just so happened she was a fellow crackberry addict and she had heard of the forum, which I promote to everyone I see with a BB (where is my BB forum paycheck? lol!). The nice lady told me that she had once been in the tier 2 or 3 before, can't remember which one I was just happy I was talking to a CB addict! anyways she walked me right through it, gave me some extra pointers and stuff, and off I was enjoying my new BB. Moral of the story, act politely, be honest with out sounding like an a$$h@le, and you can get decent CS support.

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 09-09-2007, 02:30 AM   #3
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Try to contact sprint corprate office. Their 611 cell dupport is terrible ill look if I still have their number
Old 09-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
chasmartin88

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel

I recently switched from a blackberry 7100i over to the sprint 8830 (girlfriend hated my old phone so she got me to switch). During my 1 1/2 period with the 7100i I had various problems that nextel customer care and bbforums helped me with. I switched over to the 8830 on the 28th of august and it was pretty nice....UNTIL I started having problems with my bill! Sprint has horrible customer service and your best bet is to asked to speak to someone higher then the customer service rep your talking to.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

Yeah, send an email to (I think) [email address].

He is the CEO and his email goes to top level customer service reps that are empowered to do just about anything.

Also, what JDWallace said is true...basic (and even in-store) Sprint reps know nothing about a Blackberry. I had a Sprint employee, IN A STORE, ask me to use one of the demo phones to activate my BB because she couldn't figure out how.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
john79g

I had the exact same problem after upgrading to the 8830. They initially replaced my device and the problem seemed to have gone away, however the problem begun again. If you are in a area that has a Roaming Agreement that could be a problem, do a *2 and see if your PRL needs to be updated.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I have found T-Mobile's support for Blackberrys is hit-or-miss as well. If you happen to get a tech that knows Blackberrys then they're aces. Too often, however, you get some mook who's reading from a basic script and has no clue about mobile technology in general, let alone Blackberrys. Here's my troubleshooting aganda:

1. Pull the battery to reset the Blackberry. This fixes more than half the problems users encounter, expecially generally slow/wonky performance. A subset of this is to delete and then resend your service books. Delete 'em, pull the battery for 30 seconds, then log onto your BIS and resend those service books. It never hurts so trying it is kind of a no-brainer.

2. Check the BlackberryForums (and for the love of God, use the search function!) for others having similar issues. Chances are you're not the first with whatever problem you're experiencing. These forums have bailed me out more times than I care to admit. And often it's something simple and basic, just a forgotten or omitted step. How do you think I got my Curve running on T-Mobile, browsers and all?

3. When you're at the end of the line, or if you suspect it's a provisioning error with your account, dial 611. And pray. Hard.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
fatbike
Thumbs Must Hurt

I haven't said much about the experience I have had with Sprint/Nextel here but I have to tell you that my most recent experience with Sprint was horrible!
I was a very satisfied Nextel customer for 10 years and had six personal phones (family) and well over 100 business Nextel's. My most recent Nextel phone was a 7100i which for the most part I liked. Unexpectedly I had two of them fail within 6 months. When the second one failed, I was told that, because I was not eligible for an upgrade, I would either have to send it out and wait 10 days to two weeks for the repair, or pay full retail for a replacement.
I use this phone for business and without it, I may as well be closed. I had the top-o-the-line service plan, and had never had a replacement issue with Nextel prior to the Sprint merge. Well the Sprint folks didn't want to hear it. When I expressed to them that I would have to go across the street to Verizon and switch service on this and 5 other phones the reply was "You gotta do what you gotta do..."
Well that was it for me. I did what I had to do. I was willing to pay the promotional price to replace my phone and stay with Sprint, where I was spending over $400.00 a month, but they were clearly interested in something different.
Now I am aware of corporate policy, contracts and all of that, but I have to tell you that Verizon has replaced my phone 4 times in 6 months, and never was my phone non-functioning. I went from a 'Q' to an XV6700 to a Razr to an 8830 (once a Crackberry addict, always a Crackberry addict...) and I never got a hard time from the Verizon folks... not once. They didn't have to help me, but they did, and that goes a long way with me.

Hard to imagine that after 10 years of business with Nextel, the best they could offer me was the 'brush off'.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
kamoze357
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 32C5E485

I just recently upgrade from a Sprint 7250 to the Sprint 8830 and absolutely love it. No issues with the device what so ever. While I know how terrible their CS is, i usually only have to call them 2-3 times every 24 months... usually regarding upgrading my phone at the end of my 2 yr contract. With this being said, you know what to expect if you call their CS, but i havent had a need to much. I love their coverage, love their devices. I'm good.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
veks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: sprint

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I haven't had any major problems with my phone that I can't fix.

I have a problem with customer service who won't respond to my emails about getting things fixed on my bill. I was with nextel 6 years and they rarely gave me any problems.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

I had the same sort of experience as Fatbike. We had all Nextel 7510's and 7520's and my 7520 had given up the ghost once shortly after I got it, so we had it replaced. well, the radio went out in it about 3 months later (still within the 1 year period, but after the merger) and they told me it would cost us $35 and I would be without my BB for 2 weeks because it was past the 30 days since it was last replaced. I told them to go fly a kite. I pulled out an old 7510 to use while I researched other carriers and I am happy to say that I just ported over our last nextel line to t-mobile this morning. I almost died of ironic laughter when the Sprint rep suggested I upgrade the nextels to 8830's. I tried to find a polite way to tell them they were overpriced and their CS was crappy. I don't think I succeeded. Oh well

I used to get all sorts of hang-ups while on the the line to CS then I'd have to call back and the reps were mostly idiots who seemed to revel in making my job as difficult as possible. Mind you, this was after the merge with Sprint. Before the merge, I had pretty decent experience with Nextel.

I really like t-mobile. we have had a few BB's go bad and they had them replaced with no downtime for my users and little hassle to me. Although, it helps to be a business account - we get the really helpful CS agents. But I have t-mobile for my personal lines including two BB's and they have always been very capable.
BES 4.1
Old 09-11-2007, 02:38 AM   #12
fatbike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yea, I have heard more negative, rather than positive comments about Sprint/Nextel since the merger. While I try not to bash a particular provider, since not everyone has the same experience as myself, my experience may provide insight to someone contemplating providers. Keep in mind that equipment, selection and overall data service are not the issue as far as I'm concerned. Its merely the CS issue.
I managed to get all the way to the General Manager of customer relations with regard to my concerns and he actually broke several promises he made to me.
I am in the customer service business and I think its critical to the long term success of a company the size of Sprint that they employ people in positions of authority who take the concerns of their customers seriously.
Clearly they did not feel as if I was important to them as a customer, and in all fairness they may not feel as if they owed me anything... and at this point I feel the same. I don't owe them anything either, least of all a stellar recomendation.