BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Topspin14m

Model: 7130e
Default $20 Verizon Unlimited Data, 800 txt, 100 pix

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone heard about this deal? People on other forums seem to be getting it when they call customer service and ask for the Verizon plan UNL PDA 800 TXT 100. I don't know if it applied to Blackberrys. Just trying to get more information specific to this deal and the blackberry.

EDIT:
Mods: I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, since it is more carrier specific...Sorry if I made a mistake in posting it here. This should probably be in the Blackberry network area...I don't think I can delete this thread... Perhaps someone could move it? Sorry...

Last edited by Topspin14m; 11-29-2006 at 07:57 PM..
Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Nope, their web site does not list any deals that good
Old 11-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Topspin14m

It's not supposed to be on the VZW website. I mean there are a lot of deals not on the website. People claim to have called CSR and it is in their computer. It seems like it might work for PDAs, but I haven't heard yet of any blackberry users trying it...I was wondering if anyone here has heard of anyone trying to obtain this plan in the past couple of days.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I think this is some kind of a hoax or rumor which someone or group of people trying to do.

I will check into that. That sounds to good to be true coming from Verizon.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
allenlikewo

Model: 7290
Carrier: t-mobile

hahaha first off it makes me laugh when people put carrier feature codes on the internet... vzw uses more than 1 billing system and codes are not the same in all of them. Also, the features that are available to put on your account varry by your price plan. So simply put, you may or may not have the feature mentioned above as a feature that can currently be added to your account. most likely the price is for a promo thing or a dated plan that was pre-evdo or something.

secondly, CS should not just change your data feature because the cusotmer asks for it. certian features go on for certian reason. some promo features are available for special reasons or under certain eligibilities. Basically, if it is not a current promo and you dont have a special deal (like because of your employer or something) then you are supposed to get the regular data plan as everyone else... in reality Data Plan features confuse CS reps pretty bad alot of the time and they are commonly not sure which ones to put on. Another thing is that not all features will provision your account correctly, so if by putting on that feature it broke your data connection you would most likely end up with support who would want to change it back.

HOWEVER, dont get me wrong. If you do not have the fear of calling CS and talking to them. I would not be supprised if you could engineer your way in to a $20 data plan...

The bad news and to address your inital question. PDA/smartPhone plans, do not properly provision blackberries for the most part.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #6
Topspin14m

Yeah I think it is a hoax too. I just was checking in to see if anyone else had heard about it. You never know with deals around December. But well...if it sounds too good to be true...you know. It probably is.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
tomdkat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Verizon has a secret Verizon feature. Apparently Verizon was getting some flack about business users who already have unlimited data plans, having to pay an extra $10 a month for a 1000 text messages, so they can use the sync features of their exchange server. Its called the pda sms 2000 allowance, Promotion code 70246. I had this activated on my treo 700p back in the march. It was supposed to be used for company's using phones running windows mobile 5 and an exchange server(some sort of synch issue). Although I had the palm version off the Treo 700 they let me activate it.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Ominx

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

Has anyone successfully been able to add the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance to their BB plan? I was using a Moto Q (nightmare) for the last year and had the provision on my account. Once I switched back to my BB it has since been removed. I am just wondering if it is worth a call to CS to get it added back.

I know, I know, why do I need SMS when I have email. Well, I don't really...people just seem to get annoyed when they can't reply to my texts.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If it isn't a BB dataplan it is really of no use, other than for text messages. You have to have a BB dataplan to have Internet and email on the BB.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
bremere
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8230
PIN: ky and the Brain
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

to help clear things up...the $20 bb/pda can only be used if you have the 4000 minute "Max Choice" Voice and Data Bundle rate plan. If you try and use the $20 bb/pda feature without that 4000 minute rate plan the data usage will be billed out at the per kb charge of $0.015 per kb...and for your math challenged ppl, that's $15.36 per MB....and that's expensive. The 2000 txt message thing is a first for me, i'll do some homework and report back

-emb
Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
pdone

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdkat
Verizon has a secret Verizon feature. Apparently Verizon was getting some flack about business users who already have unlimited data plans, having to pay an extra $10 a month for a 1000 text messages, so they can use the sync features of their exchange server. Its called the pda sms 2000 allowance, Promotion code 70246. I had this activated on my treo 700p back in the march. It was supposed to be used for company's using phones running windows mobile 5 and an exchange server(some sort of synch issue). Although I had the palm version off the Treo 700 they let me activate it.

This plan is for Windows Mobile devices only. VZW won't give it to you for a BB. Or at least they're not supposed to...
Old 02-27-2007, 12:46 AM   #12
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
If it isn't a BB dataplan it is really of no use, other than for text messages. You have to have a BB dataplan to have Internet and email on the BB.
BINGO. Folks. Put whatever plan you want on your BB. If you want it to work, it needs to be a BLACKBERRY Data Plan. Period.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

It's not really a matter of "supposed to" or not. A non-Blackberry data plan on a Blackberry is literally useless. You can't get any data services on a Blackberry without a [b]Blackberry[/] data plan -- not PDA or anything else. The plan must grant access to RIM's network.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #14
Ominx

Carrier: VZW

I was more specifically referring to the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance rather than the $20 Unlimited Data plan. I currently have an unlimited BB data plan on my account, but still get charged $.10 per text message sent or received. I personally think it's crazy not to have text messages included with an unlimited data plan, so I am just trying to see if VZW will add the free 2000 txt messaging plan to my account. It really has nothing to do with the data plan whatsoever...technically it should work with any account. All it really is is a free text messaging plan...and we know text messaging works on any phone independent of the plan.

PDA SMS 2000 Allowance was originally established because Windows Mobile devices used SMS triggers to "push" email to devices. This is now no longer the case with MOL2, however VZW still lets have this provision on your account. My wife has had it on her account for almost 2 years now because the provision was left over from when she had a WM PPC. She now has a RAZR and still never gets charged for a text message.

Maybe it's a loophole, maybe it isn't "supposed" to work. As I said, when I had my Moto Q I too had the provision but now realize it is gone since I activated my old BB. So maybe they caught on, or maybe it no longer exists because WM devices no longer need the "feature." But if anyone has tried to have the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance added to their BB account, or has still has it leftover from when the once did, I would love to know.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #15
pdone

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominx
I was more specifically referring to the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance rather than the $20 Unlimited Data plan. I currently have an unlimited BB data plan on my account, but still get charged $.10 per text message sent or received. I personally think it's crazy not to have text messages included with an unlimited data plan, so I am just trying to see if VZW will add the free 2000 txt messaging plan to my account. It really has nothing to do with the data plan whatsoever...technically it should work with any account. All it really is is a free text messaging plan...and we know text messaging works on any phone independent of the plan.

PDA SMS 2000 Allowance was originally established because Windows Mobile devices used SMS triggers to "push" email to devices. This is now no longer the case with MOL2, however VZW still lets have this provision on your account. My wife has had it on her account for almost 2 years now because the provision was left over from when she had a WM PPC. She now has a RAZR and still never gets charged for a text message.

Maybe it's a loophole, maybe it isn't "supposed" to work. As I said, when I had my Moto Q I too had the provision but now realize it is gone since I activated my old BB. So maybe they caught on, or maybe it no longer exists because WM devices no longer need the "feature." But if anyone has tried to have the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance added to their BB account, or has still has it leftover from when the once did, I would love to know.
That's what I was referring to in my earlier post. Great explanation!

I did call to try and have it added to my account for my 7130, but was unsuccessful. The original cs rep that I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about, but he asked his supervisor who told him that that was for WM devices only. And as you said, that was created because of the way the Exchange servers communicated new emails to the handheld devices. You could always try and have them add it, the worst they could say is no and you might just get lucky.

I almost forgot, if you have too much free time, you can read all about it here: HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - 2000 Free Text Messages with Unlimited Data

Last edited by pdone; 02-27-2007 at 04:54 PM..
Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
trevor1189

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Okay, here is the deal. This plan is only supposed to be able to be put on pda's on large corporate accounts. Even if you happen to be in the right region and a get a CSR to set it as your plan, apparently a routine audit of your account information will get you kicked back to the suckers plan. Also, I have never heard of it working for blackberrys which makes sense, because bbs and pdas are two completely different things on the VZW network. Sorry, its either 24.99 or 44.99 (+$5.00 for data only) on Verizon's Network. Remember, its the network and it will screw you any way it can.