Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
mbmarsh

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Walmart? Check this out

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I just need someone to verify I'm not crazy - I look at walmart.com today, and it says for a 2-year contract extension, I can get a Tour for $29.99!!!!!

Now, it says I need to pick one of several plans, including the Blackberry Nationwide Email 900 for $99.99, which I'm already on, so that's no biggie. They also require me to pick up a text messaging package for $5.00, which I don't have now, but I assume I could drop that piece later. Either way, I'm not going to get too bent over that.

A couple of questions I can't figure out though - I currently have a 20% discount on my line, since I'm with an employer that gets that discount - will I still get that? And, I assume nothing will happen to my phone number, right? Also, right now, I have a Friends and Family thing for 5 phone numbers - does that stay in place?

It's not a mail-in rebate, its an instant discount. Oh, and I am eligible to upgrade my phone with Verizon at the contract price (I'm over 12 months into my current contract).

If something seems too good to be true, it usually is, so I desperately need a reality check here - I'd love to pull the trigger, but I'm a bit nervous.....

You can see this at Walmart Connection Center - Browse for Cell Phones

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Read the fine print in the contract. They generally say that you will be charged full retail if you make any changes in your account for the first so many months (generally 6).

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Funny how much the pricing is different btwn Verizon and Sprint.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
mtedelen

Model: 8330
Carrier: verizon

I went through the ropes and the last screen says you have to be 11 months into a 1 year contract or 22 months into a 2 year contract... As usual, to good to be true.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
mbmarsh

Default But I am

I am 13 months into my contract, so that isn't an issue - I'm eligible to upgrade at the regular price through Verizon, so I could get the phone for $149.99 there - I just couldn't get their New Every Two until sometime next year.

So the 11 month thing isn't a big deal for me - I already meet that qualification - but it looks like I can get the phone for $120 less at Walmart than at VZW.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
Read the fine print in the contract. They generally say that you will be charged full retail if you make any changes in your account for the first so many months (generally 6).
Excellent point. I locked into a 1 yr deal but was almost lured in on one of these items

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Wirelessly posted

I'm still confused. it sounds like if you don't qualify for the new every two year then your on 2 year contract and not a 1 year contract. So therefore you would need to be 22 months into instead of 13. Otherwise if you were just on a 1 year contract you would be eligible for an ungrade with verizon too since your 13 months into it.

Last edited by twinglock40z; 09-02-2009 at 11:30 AM..
Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
mbmarsh

Default Whoops

And there's the genius I needed.......seriously. In my head, I kept looking at 11 months into the 1-year contract, and thinking of the clause that Verizon will let you upgrade at the normal price if you are over 13 months into your 2-year contract.

Guess it is one of those cases of seeing what you want to see - thank you!!!! That would have sucked if I'd bought it, and then found out I had to pay full retail.

Much appreciated!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Yea sometimes it just takes someone on the outside looking.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I saw the same type of great deals on WalMart, Amizon, Letstalk, etc... but those prices are for new lines of service. If you select the upgrade radio buton the price jumps dramatically. And yes they do require you to keep certain plans for usually 181 days. At least that was what I found for AT&T.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Yes they are normally for new lines. One thing I've noticed is that wal-mart will price match and they never really check into it that well. For example best buy had an env3 for free with a completely new service(not a an upgrade or not an add on line...but a brand new 2 year contract). Well I tried this to see if it work because I was buying a phone for my son to add on to my account. Well I tell the clerk at walmart that best buy had the phone for free with a new 2 year....which I wasn't lying. So the clerk called and asked and best buy confirmed it but did not mention that it had to be a completely new account. So I got the phone for free as an add on line. I feel a little bad but I mean as much as we pay for this stuff anyways. Heck! By the wal-mart usually has the best prices on phones, if they actually have it. For awhile they had the curve for 9.98. This was like a month or so ago.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
seven5suited

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Don't worry about the 22 months for ATT through Walmart!

Hey guys I am not a BB user (my wife is), but I just registered to offer you some good information. I am considering upgrading my ATT account via Walmart, and did a Google search regarding that 22-month thing, which brought me here. During my upgrade process on Walmart's site, I clicked the "order by phone" link so i could ask a human about this requirement, since ATT considers me eligible for my upgrade. The rep I got said that as long as ATT considers me eligible, they will do it for the price advertised, and was ready to do it right there and then on the phone.

So, if you want the sick BB prices on Walmart but don't quite have 22 months under your belt, call them anyway and they'll likely let you. (as long as ATT considers you eligible) I can't speak for any other carriers.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Don't call an individual store. Do this the way I list above. The cell phone people in the actual stores are ridiculous.

Last edited by seven5suited; 11-05-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Old 11-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
seven5suited

Model: Bold

Too late to edit again, but I can confirm my previous post because I just upgraded with way fewer than 22 months in.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
jsteyn

Model: 9630

I took the Walmart ad to Best Buy and they matched the price for both mine and my wife's. Walmart would only do one and had to lock the whole family plan in for 2 years. We each got a Tour for FREE from Best Buy in September.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteyn
I took the Walmart ad to Best Buy and they matched the price for both mine and my wife's. Walmart would only do one and had to lock the whole family plan in for 2 years. We each got a Tour for FREE from Best Buy in September.
Dang that was an awesome deal. I don't have a contract on my blackberry at the moment. I think I'm gonna stick with my curve until they make the next full qwerty keyboard blackberry for verizon. I hope they do one with wifi (which the tour lacks) and the newer type of track ball(not really a track ball but like htc hero or like the thing they used on those cheaper bb's on T-Mobile). Hopefully this will happen before too long otherwise I might have to give in to those new android phones verizon has.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #16
magiaone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310

go to amazon.com/wireless - its $49.99
Closed Thread