BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 04:48 AM   #1
Revelate

Default Desktop Manager v3.6.3.11 (SP3a) crashes upon sync

Please Login to Remove!

Platform:
Windows XP SP2
Outlook 2003 SP1 (Tried without SP1 as well) - tested in cached and uncached modes
Exchange Server 2003
Desktop Manager v3.6.3.11 (SP3a) (Tried with 3.6.3.10 as well)
Desktop Redirector v3.6.0.61
Blackberry 7100t firmware v3.8.0.112 (Platform 1.8.0.83)

Symptom
Install Desktop Manager fresh, synchronize 7100 the first time, no errors. Subsequent syncs fail with one of two results:

Result 1
Desktop Manager begins to sync, reads Calendar items and crashes (disappears) with no error. No event log; the only logged data is from RIM.log deep inside the App Data\Research in Motion\Intellisync folder within my user profile.

The last line of the RIM.log file:

Total Inputs From First System: 80

This is the last line in the log file (with varying numbers for the items processed, of course) for every handheld function when it's selected as the only sync function (Address Book, Calendar, Memo or Tasks).

Result 2
Desktop Manager begins to sync, processes the function it's attempting to sync (calendar, memo, etc) and crashes with an Windows error window stating:

"Handheld Tools Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Two windows Application event logs are generated with the crash:

Event ID: 1001
Source: Application error
Description: Fault bucket 137757190.

Event ID: 1000
Source: Application error
Description: Faulting application desktopmgr.exe, version 3.6.3.11, faulting module ilxolk.fil, version 1.2.0.56473, fault address 0x0004a1b9.

The RIM.log file contains the same uninformative log data, though I recall noticing two lines in some of the sync entries that I can't seem to reproduce; I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something like:

User has requested re-sync.
Transfer canceled!

Workaround
I've developed a crude work-around that allows me to fully sync up.
  1. Disconnect Blackberry from USB cable
  2. Close Desktop Manager
  3. Delete the folder (and all contents) "c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Research In Motion"
  4. Start Desktop Manager
  5. Connect Blackberry
  6. Open the Intellisync window and click "Syncrionize now"
NOTE Do not click the "Configure PIM..." button before doing the sync, otherwise it will fail again.

The result of this is that the Blackberry will fully sync as a new handheld and work this one time. Subsequent syncs will fail.

Summary
I hope this helps someone else better understand what's going on and maybe find an angle to getting it permanently fixed. I'm very frustrated with the lack of support and shoddy software from RIM. I'm well within my 14 day return window for both the phone and the T-Mobile service, and if I don't find a solution I will go back to my AT&T Wireless service and look for another phone. Both T-Mobile and RIM are losing out if RIM doesn't get their act together quickly to support the influx of "non-enterprise" BB users with the 7100 release.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

i'm assuming you have uninstalled it, deleted related folders and registry entries (that were possibly not removed during uninstall), and reinstalled from scratch?

also, although its easy to point the finger at their coding, for every one issue like yours, they likely have a few thousand people without issues - its hard to blame the application in these 'less than 1%' instances.

and one last thing, RIM has always targeted the corporate-base of users - it makes them more money. however, in the height of their popularity, the gizmo caught on with the consumer market and took off. RIM has very expensive support plans that are geared towards the corporate market. T-Mobile will likely be your SOLE contact point for issues. you may want to call their Wireless Data Group (877-727-5742 is the Business Support number; ask to be transferred to the WDG directly). they may or may not allow you to be transferred, but its worth a try (if not, since you are a consumer, then try the same technique using the consumer support line).
Old 10-15-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Faulting application desktopmgr.exe, version 3.6.3.11, faulting module ilxolk.fil, version 1.2.0.56473, fault address 0x0004a1b9.
I have had the same problems too with ilxolk.fil (which is the Intellisync connector for Outlook) here at my company. We are deploying an Email management plugin for Outlook called Meridio. We discovered that the information Merdio was putting in the MAPI profile could not be handled by Intellisync and causes it to crash. Are you using any third-party tools that might be modifying the MAPI profile? One workaround is to create a seperate profile for Desktop Manager to use. You will need to delete the <pin#> and <pin#>.cfg folders as well after you switch profiles.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:48 AM   #4
Revelate

Update

Thanks for the tips. Yes I tried a clean (registry/folders) uninstall/reinstall a number of times with no resolution, but that's moot now...

Thanks to mikej5780, I got the Desktop Manager working without crashing. It was an issue with the Outlook profile, though I don't use any 3rd party software related to Outlook and MAPI profiles so it's still odd to have that issue occur. Nonetheless, I created a new profile and configured it the same as my existing one. The old profile has been deleted and all is well. I had seen posts about possible issues with the Outlook profile, but after 7 hours of straight troubleshooting I knew I might've missed something.

And that brings up a point that favors my negative comments about RIM. There are so many problems with the software that it's nearly impossible to understand all the variables and possible resolution steps. Even if there is a fix, finding documentation and all the problem/resolution scenarios is a challenge, if even possible at all.

I was responsible to pilot and role out a Blackberry infrastructure for a 400 person company earlier this year using Exchange 2000 and the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES). Throughout the process I was very disappointed with the support model RIM has with the wireless carriers and unhappy with the level of service provided, even when talking directly to the RIM tech folks. With just a 5 person pilot I ran into problems with both the BES and the desktop software that were poorly documented (if at all) and required a lot of my time to troubleshoot when RIM should've been fully aware of the issues, documented them and relayed the information to the customer.

My feeling is that RIM has so far been inexcusably offloading a lot of their support structure to their own customers, since most existing RIM customers are corporations with IT staff. Now that RIM is about to explode into the end-user market with what I think will be a very successful phone (the 7100), they can't rely on these end users to troubleshoot the deluge of bugs that exist.

There will always is variables and circumstances outside of RIM's control that contribute to flaky or non-functional RIM software, but it's their responsibility to thoroughly test the apps to be aware of real world scenarios that break the software.

Both of RIM's apps, Desktop Manager and Redirector, are very fragile and RIM has almost no help to offer folks with problems. That's an issue that RIM needs to correct now, either through a good support channel and knowledge base or more flexible and stable applications.

Thanks again to jibi and mikej5780 for your advice. I'll keep that Wireless Data Group number in my pocket if I need it in the future.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
nobla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Vodafone UK

I agree revelate. I am currently in the process of rolling out Blackberries to about 80 staff and probably about 30 of them have needed me to create new Outlook profiles and or delete RIM folders, registry entries etc.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

I ask this alot in these situations.... are you rinning the Business Contact Manager for outlook 2003? It crashed my DM software everytime I tried to Sync.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 10-20-2004, 08:48 AM   #7
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

In RIM's defense...most of the problems with Desktop Manager I run into are because of the Intellisync SDK they liscense. That being said, RIM should get Intellisync to fix their SDK (which they don't seem too excited to do).
Old 10-28-2004, 12:45 PM   #8
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default latest version of the desktop manager

Does anyone know if the 3.6.3.11 version is the latest. I am having these crashing problems too.

As far as T-Mobile is concerned I have found that the BB support group (through normal T-Mobile (411 or 800-tmo-bile)) has been very good, albeit unable to fix some things like the Intellisynch problems and IM problems
Old 10-28-2004, 02:28 PM   #9
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: latest version of the desktop manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccitman
Does anyone know if the 3.6.3.11 version is the latest. I am having these crashing problems too.
Yes, that is the latest version. What kind of crashing problems are you seeing?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:10 PM   #10
sash
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default RIM has got a problem here!

I had this exact problem too. I had to install Outlook 2003 so that I could reg on myblackberry.us ' MDS server to use the Blackberry HTML browser and Verichat. I managed to register on their server but then the sync crashed everytime with the error prev. mentioned here.

To get going again, I had to delete the ms exchange profile on my comp. I then reinstalled BB Desktop software with SP 3 and the BB 7750 OS software. Somehow the BB Browser was pulled down from myblackberry.us' server (I'm guessing) and I installed Verichat. Everything works great but Instead of using msexchange, I'm back to the bb webclient.

This is a big problem that RIM mus fix asap!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #11
sash

[/quote]<pin#> and <pin#>.cfg folders as well after you switch profiles.[/quote]

Mike - where can I find these .cfg folders? Thanks in advance.

[/quote]
Old 04-14-2005, 09:36 AM   #12
TheCricket

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell Mobility

The .cfg folders are found in C:\Documents and Settings\*Insert Username Here*\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Intellisync

I support about 90 BlackBerry's and run into this problem several times a month.

Does anyone know if this problem was resolved with desktop Version 4.0? I am still running 3.6 on my clients PC's.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:23 AM   #13
JLane

Problem still exists in 4.0. We have been battling this from the beginning and have yet to find a solution. Removing and reinstalling the DM software has never fixed the problem in and of itself. Sometimes deleting the Intellisync configuration folders works, sometimes a new Outlook profile does the trick, and sometimes neither work and the mailbox has to be moved to a different mail store to force Exchange to skip/repair the corrupt calendar item. In some cases the problem reoccurs after so called repair.

Seems the common thread is there is a calendar item that Intellisync doesn't know what to do with. The real problem is the error handling and logging stinks - it is virtually impossible to find the problem object even with extended logging enabled.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:14 PM   #14
ekummel

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default why would they bother

RIM really doesn't have an incentive to get their syncronization to work...their real need is to get people to purchase their BES. The desktop syncing is just a band-aid until the users get so frustrated they just purchase the BES and install it to solve these problems...
Ed
web/gadget guru
Old 06-27-2005, 06:34 PM   #15
tearsong

unfort, i'm using groupwise 5.5 with a 7290 on software version 4.0, and getting the same error, however if i delete the rim folder and *dont* select configure pim, it just tells me that nothing is selected to configure. and when i do, it bombs out....
Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #16
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT
Default outlook sync

Try upgrading to Desktop Manager 4.0 and after doing so also add the new service pack for Desktop manager. You can get both from the download area on the RIM site. I have had your problem. After a while it seems to fix itself and works for a while and then happens again. Also, some folks think the problem is caused by a "corrupt" Outlook profile, but that doesn't make sense since the problem sometimes fixes itself, for a while, and then acts up again. I just downloaded and installed the service pack, and that seems to fix the problem -- at least for the moment. Remember, you have to install Desktop Manager 4.0 before yopu install the service pack.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:32 AM   #17
mahoyu

Model: no

I also have this problem in my company user. But never try the SP1. How about the new version DTM 4.1? Is it also include the fix? I have never try it before.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #18
scifibri

Model: 6750
Carrier: verizon

I know this may sound way off base but I have encountered something very similiar when syncing Cal and it took me forver to figure out. Turned out when a display name for an exchange account was 80 characters or more, it would crash. Changed the display name to 79 or less, the synch would complete without a crash. May be a long shot but worthwhile to mention.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #19
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

ALWAYS upgrade your DTM to the latest version if you are having this problem.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #20
mattk0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I've upgraded to DTM 4.2 and am still seeing this same issue with ilxolk.fil
Closed Thread