Old 05-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Ashg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Comment and Question

Please Login to Remove!

First, a comment...

I've been a software beta tester for a while. Most recently, I was on MS's beta groups for Office 2007 and Vista and am currently flogging away at IE8. I am neither a blackhatter (insidious pirate) or a greyhatter (got it from a friend on the inside, but still not official); I prefer to get my beta fix the right way. I support BlackberryForums in their decision to not allow links to download locations or information on how/where to download. The decision might upset some people, but it is legally for the best.

That said, there's a host of negativity here that I haven't seen before where other beta programmes I've been involved in had a totally different attitude. Especially in the Vista beta period, I spent quite a bit of time lurking on blackhat and greyhat sites to see what problems people were running into. If I had similar software and/or hardware, I would try to recreate the issue. Recreatable bugs would be submitted through the feedback panel. Several others would do the same thing. I would surmise to say that it led to many bugs being rooted out and squashed.

I would not be surprised at all if BBF was frequented by visitors from RIM and their partners. Forums provide a wonderful place for companies to "check their corporate temperature" and see how the public really views their product. This also provides an opportunity for BBF to give back during the beta in a very direct way. Instead of chiding and chastising *hatters for gving the beta a try, encourage them to post their issues and be up front about what they are facing. At the same time, BBF could easily limit the whining by requiring bugs and incompatibilities to be posted in a specific format that would make it easier on the RIM and affiliate lurkers to copy/paste and forward to the right people. I'll provide a sample template in another post shortly.

Pardon the rant. To summarize, I applaud BBF on having the Beta forum while discouraging the posting of links and instructions. There is responsibility to go with having such a section in preventing verbal abuse and training *hatters to post feedback and bug info in a usable format. I hope that will be the next step I see taken here.

Now, for my question... Like I said, I'm waiting for the official release to try things out, but I am discouraged by the lack of CDMA firmware thus far. Has anyone seen viable Beta OS for CDMA devices, or are CDMA users again going to find themselves having to wait until the GSM buzz is gone?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

I don't know about all this "hatter" stuff. We're just users. If there are any official Beta OS testers in the crowd, they have not let themselves be known in the public.

While I am not speaking for the "site" (only person does that, the owner), I beg to differ with you about tenor of this site in which OS 4.5 questions are received. About the only question not answered (and normally deleted) is one asking where to download it, or the common post of someone pointing the users to the latest and greatest Rapidshare link. We delete those primarily because no one knows what is in those executable files (along with the obvious legal reasons). Often the cod files have been edited and some deleted. There is just no possible way to know what the user is getting.

On the other hand, thousands of posts here here will attest to the helping hand the "unoffical" beta testers are given. Those posts speak for themselves, I believe I for one have answered 4-5 questions on 4.5 just today in a helpful manner, or at least to help clarify what options/apps are included in the release. And there are dozens more. But since this IS a user-driven forum, you will see the occasional snipe or smart remark, as well. It's life, we're human, and thankfully, we ARE all different and have differing opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashg
would not be surprised at all if BBF was frequented by visitors from RIM and their partners.
You can bet-a on that ^^. They are here.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-27-2008 at 03:54 PM..
Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Ashg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Thanks for your very well-worded reply. I come from a different software culture, so forgive me if some of the jargon is a little confusing.

I decided to post my previous diatribe (wordy, yech, I know) after seeing non-official beta testers being verbally jabbed for mentioning bugs, slowdowns, etc. I agree that they brought it on themselves, but some of the ways they're reminded of that fact seem schoolyard-ish. Not necessarily by you, but I have seen it from others.

I too will attest to the usefulness of this site. This and HowardForums are the only two BB/Carrier related sites I visit anymore, and the professional atmosphere is the reason why. If I'm coming acros as disrespectful, I apologize.

Last edited by Ashg; 05-27-2008 at 04:01 PM..
Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashg View Post
Now, for my question... Like I said, I'm waiting for the official release to try things out, but I am discouraged by the lack of CDMA firmware thus far. Has anyone seen viable Beta OS for CDMA devices, or are CDMA users again going to find themselves having to wait until the GSM buzz is gone?
No comment, lol.

. Take that for what you may.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Yea, I see the jabbing at times, but all in all we have the most professional natured forum in the realm of BlackBerry on the net. The other communities are a bit more social in nature, and honestly, often less helpful on more technical questions.

I know your comment above was made in a kind nature, not as an accusation. So I would ask that other users NOT come flame Ashg for an honest opinion and observation.
Closed Thread