Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Mthr1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default PIN Messaging delay problem...

Please Login to Remove!

Hello there.

I've had a recent issue with PIN communications between my wife's blackberry and my own. We both own 8703e.

I have searched through this forum, help databases regarding message delays, and have not come up with a conclusive answer.

This is what's happening. My wife and I communicate with each other, primarily through PIN messaging. The last several weeks, when sending a PIN to my wife's device, there are times where I get a confirmed delivery within seconds...and other times, (more frequently now) it takes minutes to a hour before she receives my PIN. She doesn't apparently have any issues sending her PIN messages to me, as she confirms delivery quickly and practically every time.

Here's the strange part. It only seems to be problematic when I send PINs to her device. When I see that a PIN wasn't received, I will try a couple more...only to see the same result. Then I will send a PIN to a couple of other people that I know with BBs and I get a delivery confirmation just fine. I'd then immediately try to PIN my wife again and the message stays pending. It's gotten very frustrating.

It wasn't always like this, as we've been BB users for about 4 years now. Everything has been great, up until now...

Here's what I've done so far to attempt to correct the problem.

* I resent service books on both devices.
* I've hard booted and soft booted both devices.
* I've upgraded her 7250 to a 8703e (the problem started when she had the 7250, but still persists with the 8703e)
* Problem persists in both manual compose PIN option and BB Messenger.

Some relevent details.

My 8703 is on 4.2 OS. Her 8703 is on 4.1 OS.
We both are on Verizon.
We are not on BES, just BIS.
We both are on VZW's unlimited BB data pkg.
No new applications were introduced to bring about problem.
Her 7250 was on 4.0 OS before upgrading to 8703 (Again, the problem started when she was using her 7250).

Any help would be appreciated. I called Verizon and their CSR that was supposedly familiar with Blackberry devices just said that PIN and Email delays can be normal. For years, our PINs have been flawless...very fast delivery times.

Will upgrading her OS to match mine help?

Again, thanks.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Blackberry messenger also uses PIN Communication.
Have you tried using it and am having the same experiences?

What about sending and receiving PIN messages from others?

Also, check security options - fire wall and disable the firewall and see what happens.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Mthr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Blackberry messenger also uses PIN Communication.
Have you tried using it and am having the same experiences?

What about sending and receiving PIN messages from others?

Also, check security options - fire wall and disable the firewall and see what happens.
Yes, we are experiencing the same problems with BBM as we are with manual PIN compositions.

It "appears" only to be a problem between me and my wife's device. When one of my PINs are stuck in it's pending delivery state, I will PIN others and they will receive my PIN fine. In the meantime, the PIN to my wife's BB is still stuck as pending delivery...

I have changed hardware to see if her old 7250 was the problem, and the 8703 does the same.

Her firewall is disabled, as she is using OS 4.1. My 4.2 OS does not give me to ability to disable my firewall, as it is locked on enabled all the time.

Until this problem gets resolved, I am going to try using a combination of BB emailing and Yahoo Messenger, instead of PIN and BBM. I like the status confirmations of the PIN system though. :(

Thanks for your ideas...but I've exhausted a lot of the theories.

Paul.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

That's a strange one (to me, anyway). Is the delay both ways, or just from your device to the other?

By the way, from all you've related, doesn't sound like the device to me. Account/network, if anything.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-13-2008 at 07:51 AM..
Old 04-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

hmmm, mthr, have you tried deleting both your contacts from each other's devices and all BBM conversations, as well. AND the PINs from each contacts Address Books if you have them there, also. Reboot and make certain neither remains in the contacts list.

THEN, one of you add the other back BY the PIN in BBM. Make sure you are both in the other's contact list, etc., and try again.

Worth a shot.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Had this problem before between me and My fiance' never came up with a solution just resolved itself over time
Old 04-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Mthr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
That's a strange one (to me, anyway). Is the delay both ways, or just from your device to the other?

By the way, from all you've related, doesn't sound like the device to me. Account/network, if anything.
From what I can tell, it's only affecting my PINs that are sent to her. Her messages to me are received normally and consistantly. My PINs sent to other BB users don't seem afflicted.

It is strange. We've had BBs for about 5 years now, and it has only been a recent problem (over the past month or two). I am hoping that it will resolve itself over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
hmmm, mthr, have you tried deleting both your contacts from each other's devices and all BBM conversations, as well. AND the PINs from each contacts Address Books if you have them there, also. Reboot and make certain neither remains in the contacts list.

THEN, one of you add the other back BY the PIN in BBM. Make sure you are both in the other's contact list, etc., and try again.

Worth a shot.
I'll try it...I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9

call verizon and have them reprovision your account and see if that helps
Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Mthr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
call verizon and have them reprovision your account and see if that helps
I called VZW, asked for a CS that was familiar with BBs. The first lady said she was and asked what my issue was. After telling her, she decided to transfer me anyways. :(

I get another guy. Told him my issue. Asked if my account just need to be re-provisioned. He said no, because it looked ok and that it was a RIM issue and just wait a while to see if RIM takes care of the issue.

I told him that I don't hear or have read anyone else having these issues, so I believe that the issue is isolated to either one of my two accounts. He repeated, that it wasn't on VZW's end and that there is nothing they can do about PINs because it's controlled on RIM servers, not VZW's.

Basically, he told me to see if it corrects itself and that there was nothing Verizon can do. I told him that it's been like this for over a month now...and he states that it can take time to resolve.

It didn't leave me with the warm fuzzy feeling that I was hoping for...

Sigh.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Thanks for the update.

What about the other suggestions?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthr1 View Post
I called VZW, asked for a CS that was familiar with BBs. The first lady said she was and asked what my issue was. After telling her, she decided to transfer me anyways. :(

I get another guy. Told him my issue. Asked if my account just need to be re-provisioned. He said no, because it looked ok and that it was a RIM issue and just wait a while to see if RIM takes care of the issue.

I told him that I don't hear or have read anyone else having these issues, so I believe that the issue is isolated to either one of my two accounts. He repeated, that it wasn't on VZW's end and that there is nothing they can do about PINs because it's controlled on RIM servers, not VZW's.

Basically, he told me to see if it corrects itself and that there was nothing Verizon can do. I told him that it's been like this for over a month now...and he states that it can take time to resolve.

It didn't leave me with the warm fuzzy feeling that I was hoping for...

Sigh.
Man That sucks get with a guy on here named Demon and have him look at it. I guarantee if its a VZW issue he can fix it for you.
BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Last edited by Dawg; 04-14-2008 at 10:58 AM..
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Mthr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Thanks for the update.

What about the other suggestions?

I tried your idea...I removed and cleared contact entry from both address book and BBM, re-added them, then added by PIN on BBM again...on both devices. Still having the problem. Actually, I am waiting on BBM to deliver three PINs that I sent 14 mins ago to my wife's BB. Prior to that, we went through several with confirmations all within 3-20 seconds... Yahoo Messenger will be on the horizon very soon, I'm afraid. Without this problem resolved, it dimishes the benefits of owning Blackberries...for us, at least.

Thanks anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Man That sucks get with a guy on here named Demon and have him look at it. I guarantee if its a VZW issue he can fix it for you.
Actually, I've been talking with Demon during the weekend and he is aware of my problem. He is looking into it for me. He's been VERY helpful and gracious on a few of my VZW needs.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Instant Messaging is an option. JiveTalk.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
Mthr1

Quote:
Instant Messaging is an option. JiveTalk.
JiveTalk better than Yahoo Messenger? I have yahoo on my BB and use it to good success with a lot of my friends who are on YIM.

Are there any benefits from Jivetalk? Stability, Performance, and Battery usage are my big considerations.

There's a cost associated with JiveTalk, no? I'm wondering if it's worth the cost if practically all of my associates and/or friends either use BBM or YIM. I really would not have a need to access any other IM clients (MSN, AOL, etc...) Also, can you customize type of alerts based on the contact in JiveTalk (i.e. Tone alert for one contact and vibrate for all others?)?

What I value about PIN messaging are the confirmations.

Last edited by Mthr1; 04-14-2008 at 11:29 AM..
Old 04-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthr1 View Post
Are there any benefits from Jivetalk? Stability, Performance, and Battery usage are my big considerations.
Spot on. And includes ALL the other IM clients--AIM, GTalk, etc.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #16
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: Mont Blanc
Carrier: AT&T

I agree with you Mthr...for contacts that have BBs, there is nothing better than BBM or PIN. It would not be sufficient to me to have to switch to YIM or JiveTalk instead of using the (supposedly) more reliable and convenient BBM/PIN.

JiveTalk is much more stable for me than YIM on the BB, and seemed like it was worth the fee, especially if you use more than one IM service. I did have to stop leaving it running because of all the spam messages I will get throughout the day, and apparently there's not a setting to only accept messages from friends. If it had that, I would use it again. Good program.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
Mthr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg View Post
I agree with you Mthr...for contacts that have BBs, there is nothing better than BBM or PIN. It would not be sufficient to me to have to switch to YIM or JiveTalk instead of using the (supposedly) more reliable and convenient BBM/PIN.

JiveTalk is much more stable for me than YIM on the BB, and seemed like it was worth the fee, especially if you use more than one IM service. I did have to stop leaving it running because of all the spam messages I will get throughout the day, and apparently there's not a setting to only accept messages from friends. If it had that, I would use it again. Good program.

Spam messages?? JiveTalk spits out spam messages to your client if you have it logged in? That, in itself, would deter me from ever getting it.

YIM, for the most part, is reasonably stable. Every now and then it logs off and requires a manual reconnect...but those instances are far and few. Also, I have NEVER received any spam from utilizing YIM. Not to mention that it's free.

Regardless of any of the above, nothing is more effective for me than a properly working PIN/BBM system. It gives me all the functionality that I need and when the system is working normally, it has no equal for my needs.

I am getting more and more theories that the problem lies with RIM's adjustment to the consumer growth and acceptance of BB devices. The problem lies with RIM having to adjust it's hardware/software to accommodate the growth factor of it's subscriber base. It sucks that I have to play the waiting game now to see if the problem will correct itself and how efficient RIM will be at expanding it's capacity for the increase in subscribers and traffic through it's servers.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

JiveTalk does not spit out Spam messages! lol. JiveTalk doesn't even send data, it IS the IM client (Yahoo, GTalk, Aim, etc.) that sends the data.

Mthr1, I don't think it is the RIM network. You are the only one I know of having this issue with the delayed PIN and BBM messages. And the fact that you get it ONLY between two specific PINs, helps me believe it is something on one or both of those devices.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #19
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: Mont Blanc
Carrier: AT&T

No, JiveTalk doesn't create spam...the spam I am getting is from YIM. I don't use the Yahoo client because it was extremely unreliable for me and I had to manually restart it several times per day. JiveTalk allows spam messages through so I end up getting more spam than real messages. Since there seems to be no feature to allow ONLY messages from those on my buddy list, I stopped using it. It is very possible I would be getting the same spam through YIM, but I don't recall that happening when I used it. I don't blame the spam on JiveTalk, just the inability to stop it from coming through on my phone. If you don't get spam now it's probably safe to use JiveTalk.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #20
Mthr1

Quote:
JiveTalk does not spit out Spam messages! lol. JiveTalk doesn't even send data, it IS the IM client (Yahoo, GTalk, Aim, etc.) that sends the data.

Mthr1, I don't think it is the RIM network. You are the only one I know of having this issue with the delayed PIN and BBM messages. And the fact that you get it ONLY between two specific PINs, helps me believe it is something on one or both of those devices.

Thanks for clarifying the JiveTalk/Spam thought. I understand better now.

I guess that wishful thinking was leaning towards a RIM related issue, because from my end, I'm not sure what else there is to try. Actually, I will try one other thing to attempt to see if it's related only to one device. I'll start a BBM conversation with my brother on his BB with each device (mine, then my wife's) and see which experience is better or if both are the same, in terms of delay.

Thanks again, guys.
Closed Thread