Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #21
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Default Re: New Smartphone/Z10 owner - advice for BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

To NoBox, you have taken this thread way off topic. If you have gripes, please post them in another thread and not derail the topic of someone genuinely seeking help. Most of your posts should be in the Rants and Raves section anyway.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Allowing an HTML server to set the font size on a page was, in my opinion, a big mistake. Implementing HTML in email was also a big mistake, not just for readability either. But that is now the world we live in. Browsers had to provide ways for people to change the font size on pages to make them more readable. Other email clients provide the same featues. The BB10 browser has a reader mode to make the text part of a web page a better reading experice. It is time for BlackBerry to step up and provide a solution for email on BB10.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Old 05-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I guess a software fix that would give you the ability to toggle between email screen size. Frankly, I don't understand your gripe on this score. I can't see anything on my screen without my reading glasses, but once I have them on, I have absolutely no problem reading my emails on the Z10.

I do concur with your gripe on phone dialing. Automatic dialing is very cumbersome. You can't automatically dial from your address book by spelling a name on your dial pad, as in the Bold. Indeed, it is a nightmare to dial a number from your address book, as far as the number of gestures required to get a number dialed. And speed dialing is next to useless, beyond the 3 boxes on your dial pad (not counting the voicemail box). Although I like the "box" layout for speed dialing, as opposed to remembering code numbers, I just wish there were more boxes available to choose from. But I'm one of the kool aid group which you point out is willing to live with these failings.

The Reader on the web interface is sweet, though, for us oldsters that cling to our reading glasses. One of the many reasons I'm willing to live with the above.

Last edited by guinda35; 05-12-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I am glad that you are comfortable with the font size on the Z10. And it is immaterial to me.

I can see the same e-mails just fine on other phones, which somehow have been programmed to allow you to change the font size (small, medium, large) yet the programmers at BlackBerry (in their 20s) don't see the need.

So I am using the freedom that I have to 1) use other phones, and 2) let others know that this is a major issue FOR ME on the Z10.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT&Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
To NoBox, you have taken this thread way off topic. If you have gripes, please post them in another thread and not derail the topic of someone genuinely seeking help. Most of your posts should be in the Rants and Raves section anyway.
It is only a rant if it is emotionally based. You opened a door on problems that fit in the advice for Blackberry. To use your words; I genuinely hope Blackberry is following this thread and others what constitute advice on what they might so to reinstate themselves in the good graces of folks who would like to do business with them.

If you are referring to my lame attempt at humor I agree. Shouldn't try that kind of thing in this kind of environment.

Last edited by NoBox; 05-12-2013 at 07:59 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBox View Post
It is only a rant if it is emotionally based.
Given the amount that you complain, I'm fairly certain you have some emotion, which would make your posts rants.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

You can pinch zoom in e-mail, but unlike the legacy OS, it expands the text outside of the screen. They need to address that as well.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #29
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I am glad that you are comfortable with the font size on the Z10. And it is immaterial to me.

I can see the same e-mails just fine on other phones, which somehow have been programmed to allow you to change the font size (small, medium, large) yet the programmers at BlackBerry (in their 20s) don't see the need.

So I am using the freedom that I have to 1) use other phones, and 2) let others know that this is a major issue FOR ME on the Z10.
Horray for freedom! But tell me Grumpy, have you figured out how to use the dialing function of the phone better than I have?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #30
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBox View Post
It is only a rant if it is emotionally based. You opened a door on problems that fit in the advice for Blackberry. To use your words; I genuinely hope Blackberry is following this thread and others what constitute advice on what they might so to reinstate themselves in the good graces of folks who would like to do business with them.

If you are referring to my lame attempt at humor I agree. Shouldn't try that kind of thing in this kind of environment.
I think the OP was asking for advice for her device - maybe you interpreted it differently. I did not post the things you are attributing to me.

BlackBerry have their own forum, a Twitter account and they are on Facebook. If you have advice for BlackBerry I suggest you post it in one of those places. Given the small amout of traffic this site has, I highly doubt anyone at BlackBerry reads these theads. Maybe they did in the past when this forum was very active.

Last edited by daphne; 05-12-2013 at 10:47 PM..
Old 05-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #31
stevew

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35 View Post
Horray for freedom! But tell me Grumpy, have you figured out how to use the dialing function of the phone better than I have?
Dialling on the Z10 sucks. I understand that the Q10 speed dial doesn't work like the Bold's did and are also a PITA. You can't even press and hold a (Q10) key for speed dial...how dumb is that? Guess some of the geniuses at BlackBerry are just plain deaf dumb and blind.

Previously owned:
Old 05-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #32
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35 View Post
My name is not grumpy.
Get that straight.

The dialing functions stink. Speed dialing is a joke.
The e-mail viewing functions stink for HTML e-mails.
There are UI inconsistencies throughout. So much for TAT.

A 1.0 OS. Competing against mature Operating Systems.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #33
stevew

Could not agree with you more NJ. The OS is severely lacking and suffers greatly from inconsistencies. I get what they are trying to achieve, but it's half baked and not even close to where it should be today.

Previously owned:
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #34
NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT&Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I think the OP was asking for advice for her device - maybe you interpreted it differently. I did not post the things you are attributing to me.

BlackBerry have their own forum, a Twitter account and they are on Facebook. If you have advice for BlackBerry I suggest you post it in one of those places. Given the small amout of traffic this site has, I highly doubt anyone at BlackBerry reads these theads. Maybe they did in the past when this forum was very active.
Seemed to me that "...advice for Blackberry." Was referring to the company, not her machine. Especially, when others jumped on with problems they had with the design of their devices.

Also, to repeat, I have said very little here that hasn't been said directly to Blackberry. Until today though I had no reason to believe anyone there was paying attention.

A recitation of factual problems is not the same thing as a vituperative rant.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #35
BigCloser

Model: curve

No skeuomorphics? I mean I have heard from the getgo it can be rough but with a few days time mechanics become easier. Perhaps users are so use to other phones that adapting from one smarty to the next is extra difficult... I cannot stand using my friends windows tablet coming off of an apple one, but in due time we can all adapt. I think if anyones going to give advice to blackberry however, it would be to focus less on the "fun and cool stuff" and get back to basics or what their brand was originally known for. I would totally link up with some developers to lead a way in an app revolution coming, its all going to be work oriented, HMU!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #36
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Oh my..
Well, start developing native apps - not crappy Android ports - and you will be on your way to the big time.
Closed Thread