BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
RemcoVi

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: KPN
Default Problems with activating Blackberry 9000 (Bold)

Please Login to Remove!

Good day,

I have the following setup:

I have installed Microsoft Windows 2003 Small business server - Premium in ESXi VMware box with will host my servers.

I have fully install SBS2003 and installed BES 4.1.4B and followed the steps from MoGeN's post hxxp://xxx.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/102769-bes-sbs-2003-using-sql.html#post1132076

Wich was helpfull installing BES on a SBS 2003 server.

In combination with these steps i have followed the exact steps in the install video's at hxxp://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/professional/toolkit.jsp#tab_tab_installThe Step-bystep Installation Guide.

I have created an user and went to Enterprise Activation.
Put my e-mail adres, my password and my ip adress of my SBS 2003 server in it and started the activation.

I got the following error:
Request of activation is failed. There is no network connection available.

If i do a ping from the Blackberry i got an answer of the server.
I have it connected with Wireless and 2g/3g internet.

Could someone assist me with activating my Blackberry?
What did i do wrong?

PS. The links i have posted, needs adjusting as in hxxp = http and xxx = www
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Pinjo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Sounds to me like you do not have an Enterprise data plan on your device. I would contact your provider.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Pinjo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Also, make sure your device.xml is up-to-date.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
soupandsandwich

Wirelessly posted (Yep, wirelessly posted.)

Leave the Server: field blank on the Enterprise Activation screen on the device.

It's only used for WiFi activations, and your BES would need to be configured for that.

A "regular" wireless EA only needs your email address and activation password.

Last edited by soupandsandwich; 10-19-2008 at 09:22 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
RemcoVi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinjo View Post
Sounds to me like you do not have an Enterprise data plan on your device. I would contact your provider.
What is an Enterprise data plan?
As far as i know it is unlimited internet access and no restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinjo View Post
Also, make sure your device.xml is up-to-date.
Do you have an howto / manual? I just started with blackberry installl yesterday. So i don't know the extend of it wich is what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandsandwich View Post
Wirelessly posted (Yep, wirelessly posted.)

Leave the Server: field blank on the Enterprise Activation screen on the device.

It's only used for WiFi activations, and your BES would need to be configured for that.

A "regular" wireless EA only needs your email address and activation password.
How does the blackberry knows where to look? He needs some kind of adress to connect to or am i wrong?

I have trying to connect with WiFi only, with 2G/3G only, with local ip adress, with external ip adress, with password and no password.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #6
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemcoVi View Post
What is an Enterprise data plan?
As far as i know it is unlimited internet access and no restriction.
Carriers typically offer two types of BlackBerry Data Plan. Prosumer and Enterprise.
Prosumer is basically for BIS users. Enterprise is required to activate on a BES, and is usually a little more expensive than the prosumer plan.

Quote:
How does the blackberry knows where to look? He needs some kind of adress to connect to or am i wrong?
Yes, you're wrong.
When you do a wireless enterprise activation, an email is sent from RIMs infrastructure to the email address you specify in the activation screen.
This email contains an etp.dat attachment which contains activation "instructions".
BES will pick up this email from the user's mailbox, verify the activation password, and then begin activation.

This is pretty basic stuff for a BES admin. You should review this KB article for more detailed info.
What is the enterprise activation process

Last edited by soupandsandwich; 10-20-2008 at 06:46 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
RemcoVi

Quote:
Carriers typically offer two types of BlackBerry Data Plan. Prosumer and Enterprise.
Prosumer is basically for BIS users. Enterprise is required to activate on a BES, and is usually a little more expensive than the prosumer plan.

Yes, you're wrong.
When you do a wireless enterprise activation, an email is sent from RIMs infrastructure to the email address you specify in the activation screen.
This email contains an etp.dat attachment which contains activation "instructions".
BES will pick up this email from the user's mailbox, verify the activation password, and then begin activation.

This is pretty basic stuff for a BES admin. You should review this KB article for more detailed info.
hxxp://xxx.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB13 850&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=59172563&stateId=0 %200%2032479833]What is the enterprise activation process

I let the mail be sent to an e-mail adress on my SBS2003 server, so it is standing in my Exchange box. Does the problems start here already?

Sorry my stupid questions, but i need to start somewhere.
I will contact my carrier to ask if it is possible to use the blackberry software with this contract.

The one thing i don't understand is why the carrier is important?
The blackberry can be used on the internet, it is possible to connect to my server, so in my vision the only thing the blackberry need to know is my public ip adress of my server to sync. But again i am a starter with this all.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
soupandsandwich

Quote:
I let the mail be sent to an e-mail adress on my SBS2003 server, so it is standing in my Exchange box. Does the problems start here already?
Yes, that is a problem. If the message reaches the inbox and then just sits there, then that means BES is not properly configured and is not processing the activation email. You should check your permissions for the BES service account.
Assigning permissions for the BES service account

Quote:
The one thing i don't understand is why the carrier is important?
They provide the wireless network and provisioning which allows your device to connect to RIMs BlackBerry Infrastructure. Without the carrier, connectivity would be impossible.

Quote:
so in my vision the only thing the blackberry need to know is my public ip adress of my server to sync.
No, that's not possible.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
RemcoVi

Quote:
Yes, that is a problem. If the message reaches the inbox and then just sits there, then that means BES is not properly configured and is not processing the activation email. You should check your permissions for the BES service account.
hxxp://xxx.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02 276&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=151600037&stateId= 0%200%2070497940]Assigning permissions for the BES service account

They provide the wireless network and provisioning which allows your device to connect to RIMs BlackBerry Infrastructure. Without the carrier, connectivity would be impossible.

No, that's not possible.
Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing. I used the BES manager to create an account and set the default policy and this program has send the mail to my e-mail / exchange adress.

This is an other e-mail adres then the BPSAdmin account wich i had to create by the step-by-step guide i followed. How should BES do something with this mail, because it has been send by BES himself to my account. Or at least as far as i know.

By Wireless i was thinking of the Wireless of my Accesspoint at home, but you mean with wireless the 2G/3G network wich enabled me to internet over the whole world.

The wireless you mean and wich i have is enabled and i can internet anywhere i want. Is this enough?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing. I used the BES manager to create an account and set the default policy and this program has send the mail to my e-mail / exchange adress.

This is an other e-mail adres then the BPSAdmin account wich i had to create by the step-by-step guide i followed. How should BES do something with this mail, because it has been send by BES himself to my account. Or at least as far as i know.

By Wireless i was thinking of the Wireless of my Accesspoint at home, but you mean with wireless the 2G/3G network wich enabled me to internet over the whole world.

The wireless you mean and wich i have is enabled and i can internet anywhere i want. Is this enough?
I'll be brutally honest with you... I have no idea what you're talking about at this point.
Your post is very confusing, and I feel like we're going in circles.

Wireless Enterprise activation is explained in the link I posted above.
You should read through that document and get a good understanding of how it works.

I'm not sure I can help you any more than I've tried to do already.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
RemcoVi

Sorry for my bad english / grammar, but my definition of Wireless was other then yours.

But i just called my carrier and asked the question. I has to be converted to an internet subscription WITH blackberry support. The person who sold me this phone said that the regular internet subscription was working also.

So for now i have to wait a confirmation message and then i will try it again to activate and with your help with the links you posted i should get it done.

Thank you for you patience and time.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:57 AM   #12
DavidAdams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: NotYe
Carrier: O2

Also check with your carrier that you are getting the Enterprise tarrif and not just the standard consumer blackberry tarrif.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 AM   #13
RemcoVi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAdams View Post
Also check with your carrier that you are getting the Enterprise tarrif and not just the standard consumer blackberry tarrif.
What is an Enterprise tarrif?
I asked the carrier the check my subscription and she told me i needed to upgrade to the blackberry version of it and she didn't told me there are different versions of it.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #14
DavidAdams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: NotYe
Carrier: O2

It's possible they only offer one BB tarrif, some providers don't distinguish between the two. I know the UK ones do distinguish.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
RemcoVi

Ok i will try to be as complete as possible.

Carrier support: Check
I have called my carrier and yes they told me i needed the Blackberry subscription, so i let it be changed and called today to ask if there where multiple options to choose from. She told me no and my subscription is activated for use with a blackberry.

Installed BES Express on SBS2003: Check
I have installed the BES Express on a SBS 2003 server and followed the step-by-step guide of Blackberry itself.
I created an user BPSAdmin
Set the permissions in Active Directory and Exchange System manager
Installed the BES Express software
Followd the wizard to create an user

From this point i have my doubts if this is going wrong.

When i follow the Wizard of adding one user it is asking for a default policy and i have choosen the default it policy.
As far as i can see the BES Manager is sending an e-mail to my Exchange mailbox (firstname@companyname.nl)
If i log in my OWA i see the e-mail sitting there and is telling me the following:

Quote:
Remco Visscher,

To activate your BlackBerry device over the wireless network, in the device Options screen select Enterprise Activation. In that screen, enter your corporate email address and the following password:

xxxxxx

This password will expire in 48 hours.
So i go to the menu Option -> Advanced Option -> Enterprise Activation
and i need to fill in an e-mail adres, password and a server adress.

I read here and there that i don't need to fill in the server adress, ok fine, still can't believe it, but ok.

When i try to activate i get an error after a while wich is saying it can't reach or find the server.

The links wich are posted in this post is telling that the Blackberry device must send the e-mail wich has the EPT.DAT file as an attachment, but the Blackberry device is not sending it, the BES Manager software does it.

I have the following connections enabled:
Mobile network is enabled and set to 2G / 3G
Wi-Fi is disabled
Bluetooth is disabled.

What am i doing so wrong i can't get this to work?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #16
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Ok i will try to be as complete as possible.

Carrier support: Check
I have called my carrier and yes they told me i needed the Blackberry subscription, so i let it be changed and called today to ask if there where multiple options to choose from. She told me no and my subscription is activated for use with a blackberry.

Installed BES Express on SBS2003: Check
I have installed the BES Express on a SBS 2003 server and followed the step-by-step guide of Blackberry itself.
I created an user BPSAdmin
Set the permissions in Active Directory and Exchange System manager
Installed the BES Express software
Followd the wizard to create an user

From this point i have my doubts if this is going wrong.

When i follow the Wizard of adding one user it is asking for a default policy and i have choosen the default it policy.
As far as i can see the BES Manager is sending an e-mail to my Exchange mailbox (firstname@companyname.nl)
If i log in my OWA i see the e-mail sitting there and is telling me the following:

So i go to the menu Option -> Advanced Option -> Enterprise Activation
and i need to fill in an e-mail adres, password and a server adress.

I read here and there that i don't need to fill in the server adress, ok fine, still can't believe it, but ok.

When i try to activate i get an error after a while wich is saying it can't reach or find the server.

The links wich are posted in this post is telling that the Blackberry device must send the e-mail wich has the EPT.DAT file as an attachment, but the Blackberry device is not sending it, the BES Manager software does it.

I have the following connections enabled:
Mobile network is enabled and set to 2G / 3G
Wi-Fi is disabled
Bluetooth is disabled.

What am i doing so wrong i can't get this to work?
I'm in a decent mood, so I'm going to give this one last shot at explaining this to you.
Here it goes...

Step 1 (BES Admin) - Add user to BES using BES Manager. Manually create the activation password using the 'Set Activation Password' function, or automatically create a password using the 'Generate And Email Activation Password' function. You seem to be using an Add User wizard, which is perfectly fine too.

One way or another, the user needs to know the activation password. From the looks of it, it's being emailed to them... which is good.

Step 2 (User/Device) - On the device, in the Enterprise Activation screen, you need to enter your corporate email address (the one in the BES profile) and your activation password. (The one that was emailed to the user from BES manager.)

If you're not activating via Wi-Fi (which you aren't), then you leave the Server field blank.

After the email address and activation password are entered, this will trigger an email sent FROM THE RIM NETWORK to the user's mailbox. This email contains an attachment (ETP.DAT) which contains the activation instructions. This message must reach the user's mailbox intact.

**** If this ETP.DAT message never reaches the user's mailbox... then this is likely the result of incorrect data provisioning on the device. The device needs an ENTERPRISE BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN on the line in order for this to work properly. *****

Step 3 (BES) - BES will see the ETP.DAT activation email in the user's mailbox, and grab it. It will then be removed from the user's mailbox. You likely won't ever see this happen, because it happens very quickly.

BES now validates the user's activation password and records the PIN number of the device which requested the activation. If the activation password is a match, then activation begins and encryption keys are generated, and IT Policies are sent to the device, and so on and so on.

Last edited by soupandsandwich; 10-22-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

But who was phone?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
RemcoVi

Oke, thank you for your patience and what you are saying is that the mail wich is send by the BES Manager is correct and it doesn't matter that this mail also has an EPT.DAT attachment.

When my blackberry is trying to activate and is trying to send an e-mail with an EPT.DAT attachment trhough the THE RIM NETWORK, how does the RIM NETWORK knows where to drop the e-mail? THE RIM NETWORK has to know where to drop the e-mail or am i wrong?

I can set my exchange server as receiving e-mails on port 25, or trough a pop-connector, but does this have any effect on this working of this process?

As you described and what my carrier is telling me, everything is correct, but it doesn't work.
Must i activate my corporate e-mail adress somewhere at the carrier level or does this always work automatically?

I will contact the carrier and if they can't help me, i will contact the mother company of the carrier, just to be 110% sure i have the correct data plan.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Oke, thank you for your patience and what you are saying is that the mail wich is send by the BES Manager is correct and it doesn't matter that this mail also has an EPT.DAT attachment.
No, it DOESN'T have an ETP.DAT attachment. The email from BES manager to the user's mailbox merely contains the activation password. There's no attachments.

Quote:
When my blackberry is trying to activate and is trying to send an e-mail with an EPT.DAT attachment trhough the THE RIM NETWORK, how does the RIM NETWORK knows where to drop the e-mail? THE RIM NETWORK has to know where to drop the e-mail or am i wrong?
You're typing in the email address to send the message to!
The RIM network sends the ETP.DAT message to the email address you are specifying on the device in the Enterprise Activation screen.

Quote:
I can set my exchange server as receiving e-mails on port 25, or trough a pop-connector, but does this have any effect on this working of this process?
Yes, absolutely will have an effect.
Are you saying the your Exchange server is not receiving emails directly, but rather pulling them from some POP server? If that's the case, then you are definitely going to have problems with this setup. I don't even know if RIM supports this type of environment.

Last edited by soupandsandwich; 10-22-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #20
RemcoVi

Quote:
No, it DOESN'T have an ETP.DAT attachment. The email from BES manager to the user's mailbox merely contains the activation password. There's no attachments.

You're typing in the email address to send the message to!
The RIM network sends the ETP.DAT message to the email address you are specifying on the device in the Enterprise Activation screen.

Yes, absolutely will have an effect.
Are you saying the your Exchange server is not receiving emails directly, but rather pulling them from some POP server? If that's the case, then you are definitely going to have problems with this setup. I don't even know if RIM supports this type of environment.
The mail wich i posted above DOES HAVE an attachment with the name ETP.DAT.

I have adjusted the settings so it will deliver the mail directly to the server, but before i adjusted the settings i had to see the e-mail anyway, because the Carrier or Data plan can't see how i receive my e-mails and it should be delivered in my POP-box.
Closed Thread