Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: z10
Carrier: t-mobile
Default just need confirmation - wifi internet on tmobile curve

Please Login to Remove!

i just got off the phone with a tmo rep looking to upgrade to the curve since it has wifi... and after talking to him about upgrading my plan, and phone he mentioned i could also add a feature where i can call using wifi signals and not use up my minutes...

i learned all this stuff researching on this site but the one thing that got me was that when i asked if i could browse the internet using wifi on the curve he said no... he said the wifi is only for voice calls... i was confused... so i reworded the question and i got the same answer... so i just said thanks and hung up...

and here i am reading all these posts about using wifi on the curve and someone getting it to work without a data plan or without a sim card... i'm about to call tmobile again and try and get a different rep and ask again.

but basically here is what i have with my current blackberry with tmobile

i have the 19.99 blackberry unlimited

what i was expecting to do was upgrade to the curve, and keep the blackberry unlimited... and now i would have the ability to use wifi wherever it is...

am i right to assume that browsing without wifi on the curve will be faster than it is on my current 7100t since the curve uses edge?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

You CAN use WiFi to browse the Internet, as people are doing it now. I believe the rep was wrong.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You will have access to WiFi hotspots with the Curve (8320) and with your existing plan. The H@H (Hotspot@Home) plan from T-Mobile does allow you to make voice calls over WiFi (it is called UMA) and it will not touch your minutes. You do not need a different plan than you have; you can browse the Internet and make UMA calls. With H@H ($9.99/month) your calls are "free" over the Internet. International is a bit different.

Yes, browsing over WiFi is much, much faster than EDGE.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
NeptuneIT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

You say International is a bit different - what do you mean by that? If you have the H@H service your calls are not necessarily free internationally?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: z10
Smile

thanks for all the prompt replies... stupid rep... he needs to know his stuff... gotta get me that phone then...
Old 09-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

From T-Mobile:

If you do NOT have the H@H feature added, all calls made domestically are counted in whatever voice plan you are on. The same for international usage.

If you do have the feature: all calls made and received domestically through any unrestricted WiFi will be unlimited. Currently, as a byproduct of the H@H, there are advantages for international. They are as follows:

If you have the H@H feature and you are located outside the US and connected to a WiFi:

xxx61656; Calls to a US based # are not charged.
xxx61656; Calls to an international # are charged at the T-Mobile long distance rate and not the roaming rate for that country.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
NeptuneIT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
From T-Mobile:

If you do NOT have the H@H feature added, all calls made domestically are counted in whatever voice plan you are on. The same for international usage.
So if the user does not have H@H and is international but calls a US number - I understand that it will count against our minutes - but will it be charged the roaming charges like we get currently get charged for cell connectivity? Do we need the H@H for those wifi calls to be free?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
oegjr

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
From T-Mobile:

If you do have the feature: all calls made and received domestically through any unrestricted WiFi will be unlimited. Currently, as a byproduct of the H@H, there are advantages for international. They are as follows:

If you have the H@H feature and you are located outside the US and connected to a WiFi:

? Calls to a US based # are not charged.
? Calls to an international # are charged at the T-Mobile long distance rate and not the roaming rate for that country.
Just an additional note, you may not want to make international calls when at a hotspot overseas. For example, in most of Europe, roaming is $0.99 and if you call China using the T-mobile long-distance it is $1.64. If you were to make the same call roaming on GSM it is $0.99. If you must make a call to a non-US number, I would suggest checking the respective roaming vs. long-distance rates first. I plan on still bringing a phone with a local sim, T-mobile should really lower these rates. I will just use the UMA to call the US.
Closed Thread