Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #21
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Did you try turning off the encryption as suggested above?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
ernbrdn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

FWIW I had this problem a little while back, the only solution I could come up with was uploading my pics to flickr, or facebook, or even emailing them to myself. Encrypting the media card seems to be extremely buggy.

One tip, if you decide to upgrade media card size, say from 1 gb to 4 gb and your using Media card encryption, make sure you disable media card encryption before transferring all files onto your computer, and then leave it off when you transfer the files back. Only after you transfer on and off with encryption enabled, should you turn it back on.

For whatever reason RIM decided it would be brilliant to re-encrypt an already encrypted file, so if you don't turn the encryption off before transferring your already encrypted files will be encrypted again making them utterly useless.

My advice don't use Media card encryption unless you have no other choice.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #23
TracyTanya

Model: 8130
Carrier: Bell

Hi there,

This just happened to me last week - I did manage to find the fix on this site - but here is my version for you.

You have to first turn off the encryption on the media card.
Then create a new folder on your phone and move the pictures into that folder, this has to be done from your phone, one picture at a time. It will convert them back to .jpg files.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #24
xr7

Model: 8130
Carrier: alltel

i need some help i took several pictures with my BB ond now my phone doesn't read my memory card it says....a media card has been inserted that contains errors.to correct the errors please use a disk error-cheking utilyti on your computer....i really dont know wat that means so please help me....thank you
Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #25
crazyberry234

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Smile Rem To Jpg I Found A Way!

&nd i just thought i'd let all you guys know what the ef is goin on....

its a longer process, but all you have to do is click on the pictures, hit the options button, then press copy or move into the blackberry memory, rather than on the media card. it doesnt work if you jsut create a new folder, you have to put it back in the phones internal memory. it jst worked for me, so good luck!

Old 10-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #26
triazn

Carrier: at&t

I also have the problem of the .jpg.rem, but the thing is, I can't even view them on my BB either, they are just blank document icons with a green arrow. When I click on a .jpg.rem photo, it says "Unable to display file /Media Card/Blackberry/pictures/

I've tried everything, turning off all the encryption options (both in Security as well as Media Card). I've also tried emailing the .jpg.rem photos, but no dice, the photos wouldn't show.

I've also tried to copy/move the .jpg.rem photos to the Device Memory, but it says "File System Error".

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Last edited by triazn; 10-19-2008 at 03:32 AM..
Old 10-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #27
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; RammerJammer!)

Please don't double post your questions in the forums.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #28
toddgw22

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default To convert jpg.rem to jpg

I have a BB Curve through work. IT policy requires the media card be encrypted and I cannot turn it off. After trying several different versions of DM, I finally realized the key for allowing Media Manager to de-crypt the photo file when transferring it to the desktop is to turn off Mass Storage Mode (Options->Media Card) before tethering the BB. File transfer is slow, but it's much faster than copying and pasting within the phone or emailing the file to yourself.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #29
RoganR

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

What happened to me is weird. I took a pic and then tried to send. I saw an X in the inbox indicating that it did not go out. I then tried to resend and same result. Now when I go directly to the pic I saw options to email the pic. However at some point I lost that option. I then checked properties and saw the pic had forward locked on it. Now I did not connect to any PC while this was going on. I took more pics and they don't have forward locked on them.

I guess I corrupted the file somehow,
Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #30
franglish
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Free

how to change the file jpg.rem to jpg only as before i donno why since i change the new os all the pictures i took become jpg.rem..anyone can help ? thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #31
Demiurg

Model: 8900
Carrier: vodaphone
Default It works with Roxio...can't believe it

OK,
I had the same problems as some of the users here.
When I started the Media Manager, the damned Roxio Programm started and I could not do anything against it (having very strict BES company rules on Blackberry and strict rules on desktop) but I wanted to copy those pictures...

What I could see in Roxio were files with jpg.rem and I was not able to use the preview of Roxio for those files - so I was assuming (and still am) that those files are encrypted - company policy dictates so.

In order to have a backup while trying things on my blackberry, I copied the files to my desktop, using Roxio...still they look like xxxx.jpg.rem. But after renaming them to xxxx.jpg (just delete the .rem in filename) the pictures were ok

Surprise(!!) - the idea hit me when I saw that Roxio is converting .amr files (voicenotes) into mp3, thereby stripping the encryption...

(using Desktop Manager 4.6.0.12)

Last edited by Demiurg; 05-13-2009 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 05-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
hozella

Carrier: Vodafone
Default Try this

Got me sorted atleast..

Simply rename the .jpg.rem file after you have turned the encryption off
Old 06-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #33
Powered_by_I.H.

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreggers View Post
Roxio is an after-market program.. and has nothing to do with Blackberry.

What ACJones is trying to say, m412491,
is that you need to open up the BlackBerry program Desktop Manager, and
use the "Media Manager" application that is on there.

When you connect your device to your computer with DM (Desktop Manager) running, it will ask you for your device's password, and after successfully entering it, it will decrypt the files.. basically saying it will remove the .rem extension that has got you all messed up. This is for when you are transferring files to your desktop from the device/SD card.

Also.. alternatively you can just go into the Options -> Security Settings menu, hit General Options, and disable Content Protection. Restart your device by powercycling/hard reboot, and reconnect to your computer.
mine (Desktop Manager) doesn't ask for password or decode.
will play with it later... the pearl was so much easier to do this with than the curve. Grr.

Last edited by Powered_by_I.H.; 06-28-2009 at 11:32 PM..
Old 06-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #34
omerremo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: no BIS ni BES

I send the .rem files trough bluetooth to my PC, or I turn off the encryption on my BB then I move the folder with encrypted files to other destination on memcard, this removes the encryption and the files are accesable!
Closed Thread