BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
AngelaB52082

Model: 8100
Wink Using My Blackberry 8100 as a Modem

Please Login to Remove!

I have a PC and use the sync cables to sync data and so forth. But is there a way to use it as a modem accessing the internet? If you can get back to me that would be great! I am so not savvy with this kind of thing!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html

worked for me.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Picasosz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile-Verizon

welcome angelaB52082
Old 11-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
AngelaB52082

Ok, so I am using an 8100 and that link doesnt say it supports it! Any other ideas?
Old 11-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Picasosz
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK first what carrier are you on?
Old 11-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
AngelaB52082

I am with T-Mobile.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Picasosz
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK you have to have you BB hooked up to your computer then goto device manager select modem you should see one marked standard modem under the advanced tab enter this at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" next go to create new connection in your network neighborhood you'll see the new connect wizard select next then select connect to the internet then select configure manually then connect using dialup modem then give it a name like Tmobile or edge the phone number is *99# user name and PW are blank uncheck make this the default connection select add a shortcut to desktop so you can find it and it should work. Happy Surfing
Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaB52082
I have a PC and use the sync cables to sync data and so forth. But is there a way to use it as a modem accessing the internet? If you can get back to me that would be great! I am so not savvy with this kind of thing!
Here is a step by step for the Pearl. I rewrote with plain speaking, meaning no assumptions that Members know what I am talking about and I tried to use small paragraphs and point by point:

1. If you do NOT have the latest DeskTop Manager, first go to BlackBerry Upgrade and choose "get software".

Note I am referring to DeskTop Manager, NOT the operating system.

2. Enter your cell number and download the latest Desktop Manager Version on to your computer. Do NOT install yet.

3. Before installing the Desktop Manager software just downloaded, completely delete your old version of Desktop Manager.

4. Reboot, then install the new version of DeskTop Manager you downloaded.

Now for setting up your BlackBerry to work with your notebook on an UNLIMITED Internet connection [through your T-Mobile account]. Speed about 115k!!

On XP - Go to

<Start>

<Control Panel>

<System>

<Hardware>

<Device Manager>

Scroll down to <Ports>

On having installed DeskTop Manager, there should be 2 ports listed that say "RIM".

Simply write down which com ports are listed as being used by "RIM". Most likely (COM4) and (COM5).

Now close all these windows, you just wanted to see what com ports RIM was using.

Now let's set up the "phone number" or settings for your desktop to "dial" through your BlackBerry phone.

Open Desktop Manager and connect your Blackberry with your USB cable.
[If the phone does NOT connect automatically, on the Desktop Manager interface click <options>, then <connection settings>,
then click <detect>. This should find your BlackBerry and connect the phone to the PC].

Now with the phone and PC connected [as indicated by the Desktop Manager saying at the bottom of the window that they are
"connected:"

Go to <Start> Menu

Select <Control Panel>

Select <Network Connections>

Select <File> from the drop down menu

Select <Create a New Connection>

Select <Network Connection Wizard>

Select <Connect to the Internet>

Select <Set Up My Connection Manually>

Select <Connect Using a Dial Up Modem>

Under "Select A Device" select or check the box that is the RIM COM Port you noted from before, usually COM4 or COM5.

NOTE: Uncheck or "deselect" the other modem if that box is also checked [typically it's the dial up modem on your PC].

Click <Next>

In ISP name box name this new connection/setting anything you want, e.g., BlackBerry.

Click <Next>

In the Telephone Number, put <*99#> So you will type in an asterisk, 99, and number symbol.

Click <Next>

Leave the User Name and Password boxes blank. Check the use this account name and password. Check to make this new connection your default connection if you intend for it to be such.

Click <Next>

Select "Add Shortcut to Desktop" so you have the connection easy to access.

Click <Finish>

Go to <Start> Menu

Select <Control Panel>

Click <Phones And Modems>

Click the <Modems> tab.

Select or highlight the COM Port/Modem you set up the BlackBerry with, typically COM4 or COM5. Note: may be listed as "Standard Modem"

Click <Properties>

Click the <Advanced> tab.

In the <Extra Initialization Commands:> box type this exact string:

+cgdcont=1,,"wap.voicestream.com"

Make sure you put the two commas, both quotation marks. Note: there are NO SPACES between the characters.

Click each <OK> to save and back out of the settings menus and get back to your desktop.

You should be able to click on your new Blackberry network connection shortcut on the desktop and connect to the Net.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-13-2006 at 12:26 AM..
Old 11-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
Picasosz
Thumbs Must Hurt

DItto I qouted the abridged version BTW I thought I posted my last post in english.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
orpheus2708

if u have the 20 dollar a month bb data plan can i use the net unlimited?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasosz
DItto I qouted the abridged version BTW I thought I posted my last post in english.
You did, no offense intended. What I meant is that I tried to use plain speaking, point by point, no "geek," and not one long paragraph.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-12-2006 at 03:19 PM..
Old 11-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
Picasosz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well My Grammar has allways been Bad. Noffense taken SF
Old 11-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #13
dabull
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2708
if u have the 20 dollar a month bb data plan can i use the net unlimited?

yes! and i have to say, what a lifesaver. my cable company seems to have their net acess down all weekened. but with my pearl, im not missing a beat online. a great deal for $20 a month considering you also use that data plan for email on your phone, aim/yahoo messaging, and other apps. tmo rocks.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #14
josepi

Carrier: tmo

Had a different string in the Extra Initialization Commands field, single comma, seemed slightly longer, trying SF's method now. Seemed like it was working before (connected), MSN messenger connected, but it was working dreadfully slow.

Do any changes need to be made to the bitrate speed for the com port? 9600 is default for the com port iirc, however under the phone/modem config, it's set at 112.5 or 115.2 ;) At any rate, anyone tried increasing those values?

Any other possibilites for speed increases known? :D

Manager v.4.2.0.7, orig tmo OS, no update yet ;)
Old 11-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #15
josepi

Hrm, still really pokey. Pinging wwwgoogle.com gets something like a 500-800ms response time, pinging wwwvoicestream.com yields something closer to 400-600.

Still haven't successfully downloaded a single full web page, it'll DL about 1-2K of content, then take a 15-20 second break...reminds me of my C64 days. rofl.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #16
josepi

Going to try the DM update now, hopefully, that cures all ills.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
josepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepi
Going to try the DM update now, hopefully, that cures all ills.
No such luck, have EDGE, full bars, still painfully slow. :(
Old 11-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #18
josepi

Update, used:

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

in the advanced modem properties, speed picked up quite a bit (enough to load web pages), however the speed is still something akin to 28.8-56k. Mixed bag I guess (using it right now!).

Also added wap.voicestream.com to the options/adv options/TCP/APN (no user/pass), that could have effected it as well, sadly, I did both prior to actually testing and getting it to actually load pages.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #19
dabull
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

couldnt really tell you. im online with my phone right now because my cable internet is down. i hardly miss it though, the edge internet is just fine for general browsing. i can even look at graphic intensive sites without much headache, the flow is slower but still smooth.

messing with the port settings didnt seem to change anything for me, i always get 20kB down and 10kB up, no matter what. thats a lot faster then a 56k modem though, so im not sure why yours doesnt run faster.

it shouldnt be painfully slow, and it shouldnt keep hanging up on you like that. mine works very smooth, but i wouldnt be surprised if it is 400+ ping times. thats expected, its over a cell phone service.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #20
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepi
Update, used:

at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

in the advanced modem properties, speed picked up quite a bit (enough to load web pages), however the speed is still something akin to 28.8-56k. Mixed bag I guess (using it right now!).

Also added wap.voicestream.com to the options/adv options/TCP/APN (no user/pass), that could have effected it as well, sadly, I did both prior to actually testing and getting it to actually load pages.
From word around town, meaning the entire U.S., my understanding is that your speed is dependent on how T-Mo servers, etc. are acting at the moment.

In other words, even though your Pearl may show "EDGE," your "modem" connection speed/rate/strength may vary.

Call T-Mo tech support and they can tell you how things are in your area. Also, they will walk you through on trying to figure out if there is a problem.

Bonus Tip: Call from a land line and have your Pearl modem up and running.

Bonus Tip: T-Mo knows and encourages users to try out the modem connection on the Pearl, so one should not be concerned about calling them.

Sidenote: T-Mo tech support has said that the Pearl "modem" speed is the same as the standalone PCMCIA card they sell notebook data connections. How cool is that.

Closing remarks: Call T-Mo instead of fooling with this on your own or dealing with us know-nothings.
Closed Thread