BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
cleverstar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Desktop Manager 5.0.1 automatically comes with some BB core Application?

Please Login to Remove!

After I freshly installed the DM 5.0.1 from my new 9700's stock CD, no OS has been installed, and connect my 9700 to USB, it detected many core application update from just the naked DM, including Asian language support (remember the original OS from ATT was just a english version), too bad it only has Asian language font support but not INPUT. Did anyone notice this? Destktop Manager comes with some OS core application? And for 9700? So all Blackberry device share some common software that's not necessarily shipped with device specific OS, but can be shipped with Desktop Manager software?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
trax95008
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

DM is checking the WEB for updates. device software is not built in to DM
Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
cleverstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
DM is checking the WEB for updates. device software is not built in to DM
But I didn't install any 9700 specific app or OS on my PC, just the DM, so DM just automatically fetched 9700 OS and updated my bold2, sounds dangerous.... I checked my PC again, no OS installed, just the DM!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
trax95008

yes. DM knows it is a 9700 plugged in to it. and it knows the branding of your device. every time you plug it in, it will check for updates available that have been approved by your carrier. and again, it is WEB BASED! it does not install it to your pc. and im certain it did not update automatically. im sure it prompted you and you said ok

Last edited by trax95008; 07-16-2010 at 11:02 PM..
Old 07-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
cleverstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
yes. DM knows it is a 9700 plugged in to it. and it knows the branding of your device. every time you plug it in, it will check for updates available that have been approved by your carrier. and again, it is WEB BASED! it does not install it to your pc. and im certain it did not update automatically. im sure it prompted you and you said ok
What choice do you have?
Whenever you want to install a third party application through DM, you have to click Add Application, and the list of applications check box will show up, there's only two options, you check it, or uncheck it. You check it, it will update to the latest version, you don't check it, it remove it from your device. There's no 3rd choice saying, hey, I know you detected some newer version of, say, BlackBerry Messenger, but I just don't want to touch my current version yet... I did cancel the automatic popup prompting me to upgrade newer version, but no choice, I have to go through the whole checklist if I have to install a 3-rd party software from PC.

Also another issue, DM is not smart at all, I have a 3rd party app installed from PC, and it has some modules that can only be installed via update OTA, but everytime I go through DM add/update application list, (obviously, I have to check the checkbox for my 3rd party app, otherwise it means I want to remove it...), then after done, all the upgrade modules installed to my 3rd party app will be gone. This bug has been there for sooo many years!

Please admit it's a Rim Blackberry Desktop Manager's bug.

Last edited by cleverstar; 07-16-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
trax95008

ok i see what your saying now. but you didnt say anything about 3rd party apps in your original post. i still think there might be a way around that. when you first plug it in, it will search for updates. if it finds one, it will ask if you want to update. at this point, say NO! then you might be able to continue to application loader without including any OS updates.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

If you're wanting to install 3rd party apps, try using "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe" instead of DM.