Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Question BlackBerry Newbie - What's Up?

Please Login to Remove!

I have been here about 6 months, love the forum, great great info. Now I know it being Christmas, there are allot of Newbies that got something under their tree that they are clueless about.

I joined the forum and read the FAQ & stickies about 10 days after I got my BB. I think my first post was to answer a question not ask a question that had been answered 10 times that week. Not that I haven't asked some stupid questions, you don't have to be new for that ;)

It seems like a filter to return the first 5 posts with an auto reply including links to the FAQ and stickies would be helpful, or maybe someone would volunteer to review them and either reject or post them, etc. Maybe a newbie should be able to start a thread until they have been here 15 days, etc.

I know it isn't my place, but I am getting tried of the forum being flooded with Newbie questions that could easily be answered if they just spent a couple of hours reading first.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
SmurfBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

I agree. Bad day at the office?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Great point, stated fairly well (with only the smallest of edges).

There really are a lot of resources available to "newbies" that will answer a lot of their initial questions without having to post for the answer. I do recognize, however, the desire of a newbie to feel inclusion within a new community and I think that can, in part, lead to posting for an answer as opposed to simply searching and not getting the opportunity to "introduce" themselves. With this in mind, I try to temper my attitude toward the new poster as much as I can. But I do agree that a lot of questions have already been answered, and answered, and answered.

Anyway, welcome newbies! Let me know if I can help...
Old 12-31-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

There are several threads suggesting similar ideas on newbie questions.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=21297
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=21863
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=21177 (funny)
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=20590

Lurk, search, read. Then if all else fails ask.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

What I find amazing is how many there are out there, that got them without any idea whatsoever of the capabilities and limitations of the Blackberry. Just had to have one, I supose.

Rcbjr
Old 12-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I think not being able to start a thread until after 15 days is an excellent idea. IMO, I think that would make people search more or at least get them to learn how to use the search features.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid
Great point, stated fairly well (with only the smallest of edges).

There really are a lot of resources available to "newbies" that will answer a lot of their initial questions without having to post for the answer. I do recognize, however, the desire of a newbie to feel inclusion within a new community ...
I understand the need to partiscipate, but I would much rather have someone post a "Hi, I'm Bob, I have a 7xxx, etc." Nothing wrong with an introduction post. I just have been hating the constant "where's the on button?"

and yes, Mriff, I am not the first one complaining about it, as you have listed other posts, in the past. I have even watched the video, it is funny and so true, so in that sense, maybe I should have just added to an existing thread rather than start a new one.

Maybe there should be a general forum topic of "NewBies", which would contain the FAQ, general stickys and be the only place a newbie could post fo the first 15 days?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #8
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkomatic
I think not being able to start a thread until after 15 days is an excellent idea. IMO, I think that would make people search more or at least get them to learn how to use the search features.
Interesting idea. I wonder what impact, if any, that would have on a potential new user's desire to continue with this forum as opposed to a different one. My guess is the owner/operator of this forum would not want to implement something that would be proven to detract people from wanting to sign up and join. Remember, increased member numbers results in increased traffic, which ultimately results in increased ad revenue. But I do agree from an operational standpoint.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I think this is a great idea. A year or so ago there was a discussion about starting an experts-only forum. It was to be a place where newbies couldn't post at all. I didn't like that one because I was afraid all the experts would migrate over to the experts-only area and completely tune out the newbies.

This suggestion sounds similar, but I like it better. If newbies could be restricted to a newbie only forum for posts for a few days it might cause them to search more. I haven't been here as long as many of you, but I, too, have answered a few questions. On the other hand, just the other day I posted without searching. Soon after I did a search and found several posts on the topic I started. I guess we are all subject to occasional amnesia.

The how-do-i-unlock-which-is-the-best-bluetooth-how-do-i-tether-how-do-i-sync questions do get a little old. Stick them in their own forum, but let them join the rest of us after a few days.

Hey, here's another idea! How about not letting them post until they have done 10 or 15 searches? I wonder if that would accomplish the goal.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary
Default Don't really agree...

I think limiting newb posts is a bad idea for two reasons:
  1. If I had to register then wait two weeks to post, I'd find another resource. When people are looking for answers, they need them today, not 2 weeks from today
  2. Remember, some people may be demo'ing a BB (for personal or business use), software, or both. Our demo BES server had a 60 day window. Again, waiting two weeks to ask a question (based on that window) would send me to a different site
I don't like wading through lots of unnecessary posts, but I think it's a better alternative than discouraging participation on the site. And who knows, people that are newbs today may eventually bring some real expertise to the boards...

Ciao
Old 01-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Is there some way to force a 'newbie' to do a search before each of their first 5-10 (new) posts?

And is there any possible way to not allow posts with the subject of "PLEASE HELP!!!". Those posts just scream "Newbie".
Old 01-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOR
I think limiting newb posts is a bad idea for two reasons:[list=1][*]If I had to register then wait two weeks to post, I'd find another resource. When people are looking for answers, they need them today, not 2 weeks from today
Or how about they need the answer "now" and not 2 hours from now..

Unfortuantely, most people have become accustomed to instant answers.. I think we can thank the industry for that.. ( a quick analogy is how first email changed communication and now look at all of the instant online help coming out from every company, etc)..

People are increasingly expecting instant responses to their questions..

now, I'm not saying that we here at blackberryforums should change the world, but I think we should realize the world in which we live.. unless (and I hope never) blackberryforums becomes an invite only place, I think we need to find our own answer..

Maybe a thread at the top of each forum that says "NEW TO BLACKBERRY CLICK HERE" or what have you.. and in that thread, we say, if you have a question, please click here and it posts in that thread... maybe some way to steer them all to one place..

just an idea..

everyone starts as a newbie..
Old 01-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #13
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
And is there any possible way to not allow posts with the subject of "PLEASE HELP!!!". Those posts just scream "Newbie".
Yes but what if I did do a search and had to use the words "Please Help". I am not a newbie but am smart enough to realize I dont know it all, hence me seeking out the forum. I figure we were all "Newbies" once and people either helped me or bashed me, my skin is thich and I could take it.

My advice RTM first, do a search, then ask a question. Not all perscribe to this yet they all offer something.

PS. You can always ignore someone.

Last edited by blkberryboy; 01-03-2006 at 03:43 PM..
Old 01-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #14
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOR
I think limiting newb posts is a bad idea for two reasons:
  1. If I had to register then wait two weeks to post, I'd find another resource. When people are looking for answers, they need them today, not 2 weeks from today
  2. Remember, some people may be demo'ing a BB (for personal or business use), software, or both. Our demo BES server had a 60 day window. Again, waiting two weeks to ask a question (based on that window) would send me to a different site
I don't like wading through lots of unnecessary posts, but I think it's a better alternative than discouraging participation on the site. And who knows, people that are newbs today may eventually bring some real expertise to the boards...

Ciao
And they would generally find the answer today by using the search button. In have seen very few if any, new unique questions posted by a newbie in the last 2 months. And I didn't suggest they couldn't post, just couldn't start a new thread. So if they did a search on "turn it on" and got 100 returns and after wading through the first 20 couldn't find the answer, they should reply to the thread that comes closest to their question.

I would believe that in most cases they would find the search button actually works and wouldn't have to ask a question that may never be answered anyway, because the people "in the know" are too tried of the same question already.

In your examples, I would hope people would do a little research before the BB showed up at their door, but I understand in reality, that doesn't happen. And obviously "I" am the only person that matters in the world, so as long as "I" get the answer "I" so deserve, then the amount of time & space "I" waste for the people around me really doesn't matter.

So newbies shouldn't be considerate at all and "I" is the only thing that matters, right?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
Is there some way to force a 'newbie' to do a search before each of their first 5-10 (new) posts?
I'm beginning to think something like this might be the way to solve the problem. I have always believed that restricting newbies to a newbie forum would drive newbies away. If they have to wait a long time before posting the same thing will happen. When I found this forum I was looking to an immediate answer to a question. If I hadn't found it (I think I actually used search the first time) I would have looked elsewhere.

I like the idea of either forcing a search before each of the first few posts or, as I said earlier in this thread, force them to search three times before their first post. Three searches won't take long, and they will most likely find the answer during that short time.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #16
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch
And they would generally find the answer today by using the search button. In have seen very few if any, new unique questions posted by a newbie in the last 2 months. And I didn't suggest they couldn't post, just couldn't start a new thread. So if they did a search on "turn it on" and got 100 returns and after wading through the first 20 couldn't find the answer, they should reply to the thread that comes closest to their question.

I would believe that in most cases they would find the search button actually works and wouldn't have to ask a question that may never be answered anyway, because the people "in the know" are too tried of the same question already.

In your examples, I would hope people would do a little research before the BB showed up at their door, but I understand in reality, that doesn't happen. And obviously "I" am the only person that matters in the world, so as long as "I" get the answer "I" so deserve, then the amount of time & space "I" waste for the people around me really doesn't matter.

So newbies shouldn't be considerate at all and "I" is the only thing that matters, right?
As you can see from the number of posts I've made, I'm sure to be considered a newb by many here...

However, if you take a look at the threads I started you might agree that I would have been hard pressed to find solutions via the search function. And trust me, I've gotten the answers to many more questions by using the search function. My point is that all newbs are not asking questions such as how to turn the device on/off, adjust the backlight, etc. Post or start a new thread, it doesn't matter - had I been able to do neither, I would have found a different resource and missed out on what this site has to offer.

As far as doing research ahead of time goes, I was presented with the device and asked to evaluate it before our BES demo ran out - I didn't have time to do research ahead of time. Probably not typical, but I'm sure it happens.

As far as the rest of your response goes, I don't understand the hostile bent; if you can't or won't answer a post, move to the next one. It's not that big of a deal...
Old 01-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

My response wasn't hostile at all, just oposite of your position, so it seemed hostile to YOU. It isn't a big deal for the "I"s of the world, who could care less about everyone around them, but then for those who actually attempt to use the forum properly, it floods the forum with meaningless threads. When you do a search and get a few thousand hits, it does matter.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #18
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomryan
Or how about they need the answer "now" and not 2 hours from now..

Unfortuantely, most people have become accustomed to instant answers.. I think we can thank the industry for that.. ( a quick analogy is how first email changed communication and now look at all of the instant online help coming out from every company, etc)..

People are increasingly expecting instant responses to their questions..

now, I'm not saying that we here at blackberryforums should change the world, but I think we should realize the world in which we live.. unless (and I hope never) blackberryforums becomes an invite only place, I think we need to find our own answer..

Maybe a thread at the top of each forum that says "NEW TO BLACKBERRY CLICK HERE" or what have you.. and in that thread, we say, if you have a question, please click here and it posts in that thread... maybe some way to steer them all to one place..

just an idea..

everyone starts as a newbie..
Hey, tomryan.

Nice to see someone realizes that we're all newbs at the beginning...

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that anyone, no matter what their question, get an immediate response; anyone who expects that is fooling themselves. However, it's nice to be able to ask a question immediately. There are a lot of experienced people posting to this site but I would bet that if they were required to wait a couple weeks to post they would be elsewhere, taking their expertise with them.

Ciao
Old 01-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #19
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOR
Hey, tomryan.

Nice to see someone realizes that we're all newbs at the beginning...

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that anyone, no matter what their question, get an immediate response; anyone who expects that is fooling themselves. However, it's nice to be able to ask a question immediately. There are a lot of experienced people posting to this site but I would bet that if they were required to wait a couple weeks to post they would be elsewhere, taking their expertise with them.

Ciao
Actually, I meant to include asking the question immediately.. People expect to post a question and get an answer, if they don't, they follow up.. rather than waiting or bumping the thread they originally started..

lots of food for thought here..

I also don't think I've been around enough to propose a solution.. just to make suggestions
Old 01-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #20
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch
My response wasn't hostile at all, just oposite of your position, so it seemed hostile to YOU. It isn't a big deal for the "I"s of the world, who could care less about everyone around them, but then for those who actually attempt to use the forum properly, it floods the forum with meaningless threads. When you do a search and get a few thousand hits, it does matter.
I still can't agree with your position. I just searched, individually, for 'backlight' and 'power'. Came up with 307 & 500 hits, respectively. Better search criteria would yield better results, so I wouldn't say the forum is flooded with meaningless threads.

My position is, why penalize someone who has registered on the site, has a valid question, and who has searched and found no answers, simply because they are new to the site.

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of jibi, Rejhon, & other heavy users think.
Closed Thread