BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
mizmellyjelly

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Should I give up and sell my Storm2 9550??? I CANNOT find a fix for EDGE/edge

Please Login to Remove!

So apparently this problem had been famous for the 9530 and a fix had been released for it...except I have a 9550 and this "fix" isn't fixing my EDGE/edge problem!!!!

I had spent the past 24 hours (literally) trying to "fix" this EDGE/edge dilemma and it's driving me nuts. Okay...so I have an unlocked Storm2 9550 and I'm using it with Rogers. If I don't use the internet, I get a solid EDGE and can still receive emails and BBM messages. Once I open up the browser and a page starts loading...it drops to edge. Once I open an app that requires data, it drops to edge. Every thread I've read about this, whether it was from CB, pinstack, bb forums, howardforums, ETC ETC ETC....it was from last year regarding the 9530 and the "fix" was just switching the radio in the OS.

THIS DOESNT HELP FOR ME

- I've tried the CrackUtil method...although it was pointless because I have the required Service Books.

- I have my connection settings to 2G. I figured that out before even thinking of researching the problem.

- I've tested this with APN checked AND unchecked. Still no go.

- I've installed and loaded EIGHT different OS's....5 of them hybrids. AND NADA!

I am getting extremely irritated as I do NOT want to have to rely on wi-fi to use the internet...I am paying for my data plan so if I'd like to use the internet on my device while I'm out and on the go...I should be able to do so

If there is ANY fix for the 9550 then please for the love of all blackberrys...share it with me or I will HAVE to go back to my 8900 and sell this Storm....
Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Nodnerb

I hear ya. In the exact situation. Unlocked s2 on rogers with my last BB being the 8900. And I have the same issue. So are you saying you get no internet at all?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
mazine16
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

do you have this problem before or after you install 3rd party apps? if you ever had a GPS 3rd party app of any kind, it can leave some service books that will mess with your edge/EDGE signal.

when you install a new OS, im assuming you wipe your bb clean, and then install the new OS, and THEN back your old info up on it? have you tried not loading any of the old stuff and try it out?

if you have, try looking through your service books, or see if there r 3rd party apps service books from gps. im not 100% sure if thats where you look, but when you want to get rid of facebook service books on yoru phone, you have to go into the same place to delete that....wherever that location in the phone is.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
mizmellyjelly

to be honest i'm not sure if the problem occurred before i installed any new apps because i always had the wi-fi enabled so if the EDGE signal dropped, i wouldn't have noticed cuz i would've still been connectedl via wi-fi.

right now i'm wiping the device clean to it's original factory default settings to see if the EDGE problem persists, even without apps.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
hguzen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 2256D3CC
Carrier: Vodafone TR

you should speak with operator which was that storm first registered to their BIS System... then you want to them to unregister the device from BIS system..
Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You can forget about having many of streaming data apps working on the 9530/9550, and when you do, many of those apps will drop EDGE to edge.

There's not a workaround, I've played with this for over a year. The way some of the thirdparty apps connect to the RIM APIs is not the same as the RIM BlackBerry apps like Facebook for BlackBerry, and those (like Pandora, and TeleNav) attempt to use your device's BIS connection, it drops the signal. The only workaround I found was to set those apps to use the TCP/APN connection, and some apps won't allow you to set that connection.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
mizmellyjelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
You can forget about having many of streaming data apps working on the 9530/9550, and when you do, many of those apps will drop EDGE to edge.

There's not a workaround, I've played with this for over a year. The way some of the thirdparty apps connect to the RIM APIs is not the same as the RIM BlackBerry apps like Facebook for BlackBerry, and those (like Pandora, and TeleNav) attempt to use your device's BIS connection, it drops the signal. The only workaround I found was to set those apps to use the TCP/APN connection, and some apps won't allow you to set that connection.
Thanks for the reply J. Although I believe I found the fix for me the other day, and it seems to be the opposite from what you said...lol. The data relies on the device's BIS connection, therefore it needs to be connected with the simplest setting of Internet Browser, and not WAP browser. The TCP/APN settings doesn't seem to matter according from what I've tested. What made the difference for me was just the setting of my Default Browser configuration. I had it set to "Shop - Magasin" which is essentially Roger's WAP browser, which now makes sense to me why my device was losing it's connection because the WAP browser setting tries to load Verizon's WAP browser which of course is incompatible with Roger's WAP connection, thus leading it to drop the data signal, even with Rogers' Service Books loaded on the device.

I understood when I kept reading everywhere that "you have to uncheck TCP/APN and leave it blank to hold EDGE" because apps or websites that rely on streaming falls back on the Default WAP browser configuration which will make you go from EDGE to edge. But I guess to put it in most simplest terms for the average JoeShmoe , use the default Internet Browser...not the WAP browser! lol it made such a difference! I don't need a specific radio, and I can check APN with the right settings or uncheck it..neither made a difference....EDGE withheld either way with all my apps fully functioning.

I've also tested that when streaming videos, EDGE ends up dropping to edge but the video will continue streaming. When I close youtube, edge pops back up to EDGE as if I never got disconnected.

I thought I'd share this for anyone else to test this out for themself in case it might help them solve this same silly problem that I went through @_@

So to conclude...it looks like I won't be selling my Storm2 9550 xD

Last edited by mizmellyjelly; 05-21-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Closed Thread