BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Harry Azol
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: yes
PIN: N/A
Carrier: yes
Default BES Migration advice needed (Knife edge + more, or alternate method?)

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, just to start off - I am a BES admin and looking for some advice on a BES migration that I need to perform in the next few months (to be tested in test environment first of course).

I have reviewed the knife edge migration procedure, but I'm just wondering if there might be a better alternate method (the server name will change, so I understand that may require an extra step)

The current environment (working with no issues)
  • single temporary BES 4.1.6 with MSDE
  • single temporary Exchange 2007 server
  • both servers above (and the besadmin account) are in 'child.domain.com' AD domain
  • all user accounts and mailboxes are in 'domain.com' AD domain

Target environment:
  • two BES 4.1.6 (2 SRPs) with a single configuration DB on a SQL cluster
  • fully clustered/NLB'd Exchange 2007 environment
  • all servers above in 'domain.com' AD domain, including besadmin service account

What I was thinking:
  • Move config DB from MSDE to SQL cluster
  • move BESAdmin service account to 'domain.com' AD domain (is this required? the current server will be decomissioned)
  • Perform all Exchange changes/migrations
  • Setup new BES (2nd SRP) pointing to DB moved above
  • Move all users across to 2nd BES
  • Decommission original BES and build second permanent BES in it's place

Has anyone performed anything similar to this before?
Is there a better way?
Anything I should watch out for?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

How many users are we talking about on the BES right now?
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
Harry Azol

currently 50, going up to a total of approx 200 in the next few months
Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

You may want to hold off 2-3 months until BES 5.0 rolls out. That version fully supports the SQL Clustering and includes a user migration tool. If you are interested in going to BES 5 somewhere down the line, you may just want to hold offsince RIM recommends a fresh install with user migrations compared to an in place upgrade.

If you go with your plan, be careful with the mailbox migrations. If you move the users within an Exchange environment, you will be fine. But if you migrate them to a new Exchange environment you will probably change the SID associated with the mailbox which will break the connection to the BES.

Good luck
Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablooey View Post
You may want to hold off 2-3 months until BES 5.0 rolls out. That version fully supports the SQL Clustering and includes a user migration tool.
Waiting for 5.0 is a good suggestion for your setup and scenario OP but I would be very wary of those dates guys. It's been coming in "2-3 months" for a while and it may not be wise to plan Production changes around its release. Our main UK carrier was told by RIM in Jan it would be more like Q3/4 and that carrier said they wouldn't be supporting it at first release anyway (more on that in another thread somewhere).
Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Harry Azol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablooey View Post
You may want to hold off 2-3 months until BES 5.0 rolls out. That version fully supports the SQL Clustering and includes a user migration tool. If you are interested in going to BES 5 somewhere down the line, you may just want to hold offsince RIM recommends a fresh install with user migrations compared to an in place upgrade.

If you go with your plan, be careful with the mailbox migrations. If you move the users within an Exchange environment, you will be fine. But if you migrate them to a new Exchange environment you will probably change the SID associated with the mailbox which will break the connection to the BES.

Good luck
I know that 5.0 is coming out this year, but aside from that, there is no firm release date and we all know how much RIM release dates get delayed. Also - we would not want to use it straight off the bat as I'm sure there would be some initial bugs that would need to be worked out. Kablooey - do you have more details on the migration steps required to go to 5.0? Hopefully it doesn't require an enterprise re-activation?

In terms of 5.0 high availability - this would be a great feature for us, we're going with the 2 server/srp and manual changeover instead of purchasing NeverFail since 5.0 is supposed to have the same functionality.

re: Exchange, all users/mailboxes are staying in the same Exchange organization and domain, it's only the servers and service accounts that are moving up to the parent domain.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
andrewb77

Model: Curve
Carrier: Vodafone

Re the point about BES 5 having the same functionality as Neverfail bear in mind that the SQL database still needs protecting and BES 5.0 doesn't do this, it's also worth drilling in to failover times
Closed Thread