why even go there?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyguy View Post
Nothing beats a BB is just your opinion, not facts ! But, whatever makes you sleep well at night I suppose ! iPhone 3.0 flopping ?? I highly doubt that !! Apple is releasing everything in 3.0 that the people have been asking for and then some !! I don't recall RIM doing this for the people though... hmm ?!?
And hopefully the new hardware will have everything else we want on the iphone. I'm very excited to see what Apple has in store! And that is coming from a BB user!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #23
Chevyguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Apple
PIN: Jailbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
And hopefully the new hardware will have everything else we want on the iphone. I'm very excited to see what Apple has in store! And that is coming from a BB user!
Yes, I am looking forward to the release as well....then again, many people are unaware of the capabilities and features once the current platform on the iPhone has to offer once it has been Jailbroken. I have been steadily enjoying such items such as copy & paste, mms, landscape mode throughout, and endless apps and tools. Just can't wait to see what else is going to be released !
Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #24
cd5love96

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyguy View Post
Yes, I am looking forward to the release as well....then again, many people are unaware of the capabilities and features once the current platform on the iPhone has to offer once it has been Jailbroken. I have been steadily enjoying such items such as copy & paste, mms, landscape mode throughout, and endless apps and tools. Just can't wait to see what else is going to be released !
I agree with you 100%. I own the iPhone 3G and my GF owns a Javelin. I tried to get her an iPhone with T-Mobile but I'd be pissed if she dropped it and broke it as opposed to a BB. I wouldn't care if she banged it up or throws it in fire for all I care. I've had BB's before (no other choice) and their phones are riddled with software issues. If you get a JVM error yada yada yada you must dedicate an hour of your time to fix your phone. It's annoying.

THERE IS NO OTHER PHONE THAT WILL BEAT THE IPHONE AS OF NOW. POINT BLANK

I'm going to get chewed by all these fan boys on here but whatever. Anyway the new iPhone 3.0 update is going to allow developers to create apps that work with your voice. Think of the possibilities. That's all I'm going to say. I see that RIM is working on their app store. I can't imagine the type of problems this will bring.

FYI. Carriers don't support third party applications on ANY phone. Expect to be bounced around and transferred to different places just to get your Yahoo Messenger working, etc.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #25
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd5love96 View Post
I agree with you 100%. I own the iPhone 3G and my GF owns a Javelin. I tried to get her an iPhone with T-Mobile but I'd be pissed if she dropped it and broke it as opposed to a BB. I wouldn't care if she banged it up or throws it in fire for all I care. I've had BB's before (no other choice) and their phones are riddled with software issues. If you get a JVM error yada yada yada you must dedicate an hour of your time to fix your phone. It's annoying.

THERE IS NO OTHER PHONE THAT WILL BEAT THE IPHONE AS OF NOW. POINT BLANK

I'm going to get chewed by all these fan boys on here but whatever. Anyway the new iPhone 3.0 update is going to allow developers to create apps that work with your voice. Think of the possibilities. That's all I'm going to say. I see that RIM is working on their app store. I can't imagine the type of problems this will bring.

FYI. Carriers don't support third party applications on ANY phone. Expect to be bounced around and transferred to different places just to get your Yahoo Messenger working, etc.
I don't know if I would go as far as saying nothing is better then the iphone. I do believe the iphone is the future though. It is basically a small handheld computer. The Blackberry, I'm sorry to say, is really a glorified paging device, with other features bolted on. It has worked for RIM up to this point, but it won't last much longer. Maybe I'll change my mind after RIM opens its Apps store, but as of right now, you can do so much more with the iphone. The iphone the greatest device out there? I don't know, but its near the top for sure.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #26
gte773h
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I totally agree with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnico View Post
Hi all,

I was just reading about apples "updates to the iphone" and it seems as if they are all already on the storm.

No multimedia messaging? No cut and paste and no horizontal view?

While I think the storm needs an update of its own to resolve some bugs, I think it is a solid device..

I dont see how the iphone is superior at all..
even with the app store..it doesnt appear to be superior really in any way..
many feel its the wifi..
honestly, I get 3G almost anywhere I go and its fast enough for me to do what I need..I would likely not evne use wifi and forget it on and drain my battery..

just food for thought...apples updates are all already on the storm
Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 AM   #27
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

I got an iPod Touch but bought my daughter a Storm cause she wants it. So i can compare the two easily. My wife also has a Storm but somehow can't get herself into using because she's way too much tied to her iPhone. My wife can't do anything without a touch screen. Previous to the iPhone era, she was depending on various Palms.

Overall, the Storm is ahead of the iPhone in specific areas, such as text entry and multitasking. But I would say overall, especially in the multimedia, entertainment, internet capability especially the browser, developer support, user friendliness, and anything to the sheer frivolous, the iPhone overall wins and still leads any other phone in the market.

And not, not all of Apple's updates are in the Storm. You won't get for example, a native BB or even Win Mo app that allows paying subscriptions for news, messenging, and gaming services within the application. Or lets you network games via Bluetooth so you can have multiple players. This is squarely aimed at Nintendo's DS, the latest version now sports a browser. It seems Apple wants to move into the space---understand there are over 100 million Nintendo DS sold. There are specific features in the OS 3.0 that is intended for biometrics, like in monitoring heart beat and foot steps, since iPods are frequently used with exercising.

The "I use Tools not Toys" argument no longer works here. It is not the Tools market that is growing but the Toy market. Every move Blackberry has made starting from the Curve represents an invasion of space outside the corporate world. RIM is hitting consumers, teeners, housewives, and with it, they're varying the format from tablet touch screen to flip phone. So are the features, which are increasingly multimedia like.

And this strategy is working. Despite the recession, RIM's sales percentages are up. Their market share is also up, calculated at the expense of Nokia's N-series, which are mainly multimedia power houses.

Blackberry has sheer numbers. It recently commemorated the 50th million Blackberry ever sold. Apple has sold over 17 million iPhones, which doesn't seem that much when compared to BB, but that doesn't count another 13 million plus iPod Touches. So you got 30 million of the same Apple platform sold, attained in a much shorter time than Blackberry got its 50 million. Furthermore, all 30 million of these devices all have basically the same hardware architecture which means they run or can run, the same OS level. There is no sub OS variants like those for the 8300 Curve vs. 8900/Bold vs. Storm etc,. The Apple developer only deals with one screen and input type, and doesn't have to develop or test against different display and text entry formats. The monolithic similarity of all iPhones and iPod Touches, first and second generation, is a major blessing for developers. At the same time, Apple, which has loads of cash, can focus resources on basically one platform, not divided it into several, like what RIM and Nokia is doing. And just about everyone else, Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola, whoever.

I would say say for both Apple and RIM, this is far from over, and they're going to do their best either to catch up or stay ahead.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-05-2009 at 05:46 AM..
Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #28
mostanser

Model: 8820
Carrier: GP

iphone is stylist and its gravity is awesome, I liked it..
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #29
urboytex

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

my thoughts,

i have had a blackberry for over a year (8800 and 8310) and own a mac. I am partial to both products and manufacturers. i used to work for verizon and was celling agaist the iphone, which was hard to do.

what i have come to realize is that people have different needs, and difreent devices meet deifferent needs.

both devices have many similarities. However, for business purposes, especially the ease of email and calendar, the BB is superior. i would rate the BB as 70% business, 30% play. Although, BB does have the app world now which will help with its edge on Apple.

The Iphone, in my opinion, has a superior touch screen to the Storm. And the one item that makes the iphone so much different is the web browsing. The iphone is the only phone thus far to have a desktop grade web browser. no matter what you view on the phone, it is as if i am surfing on the web at home. But, it sint the best for corporate uses as the battery life is not the longest and there is no word/excel/ppt. I would rate the iphone as 50/50. just as much of a business solution as a personal media device. thus making more ideal for the average consumer.

I think someone else stated the iphone wasnt geared for the corporate user, and i agree. It didnt even support an exchange server until a software update, obviously thay had to adapt.

Overall, i consider thesew devices to be equally great. if i could, i would own both and carry both.

BTW Yay for BB APPS!! i suggest i heart radio, and VLingo. both are awesome.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #30
Chevyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urboytex View Post
my thoughts,

i have had a blackberry for over a year (8800 and 8310) and own a mac. I am partial to both products and manufacturers. i used to work for verizon and was celling agaist the iphone, which was hard to do.

what i have come to realize is that people have different needs, and difreent devices meet deifferent needs.

both devices have many similarities. However, for business purposes, especially the ease of email and calendar, the BB is superior. i would rate the BB as 70% business, 30% play. Although, BB does have the app world now which will help with its edge on Apple.

The Iphone, in my opinion, has a superior touch screen to the Storm. And the one item that makes the iphone so much different is the web browsing. The iphone is the only phone thus far to have a desktop grade web browser. no matter what you view on the phone, it is as if i am surfing on the web at home. But, it sint the best for corporate uses as the battery life is not the longest and there is no word/excel/ppt. I would rate the iphone as 50/50. just as much of a business solution as a personal media device. thus making more ideal for the average consumer.

I think someone else stated the iphone wasnt geared for the corporate user, and i agree. It didnt even support an exchange server until a software update, obviously thay had to adapt.

Overall, i consider thesew devices to be equally great. if i could, i would own both and carry both.

I agree....but two numbers will take care of most if not all your business needs when released ... 3.0 !!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #31
dwella

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
my thoughts,

Well written

d
Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #32
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
For the record, the BB still doesn't support an Exchange Server. Not unless you deploy a costly BES. The iphone supports Exchange right out of the box with NO added expense.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #33
aim1126
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
For context, I am a BlackBerry addict. But I also think I'm pretty objective.

So here goes...

When the iPhone came out, I tried it and was frustrated (mostly over typing).

Then I got a Storm and was even more frustrated (typing, bugs, clunky, highly unproductive device).

Then I tried an iPhone at the Apple Store the other day for about 20 minutes...

The iPhone is **so** polished. What it can do, it does REALLY well, especially compared to the Storm (granted, the iPhone's missing some important functions).

The Storm is unfortunately downright clunky in comparison.

The iPhone feels natural. The Storm feels like a kluge.

I wish we could have iPhone interface implementation, Storm screen, Blackberry functionality, and a keyboard, all in one device, on Verizon's excellent EVDO service...

(one can dream, right?)

By the way, I just returned my Storm today and have gone back to my 8703e and couldn't be happier.

I'm waiting for a Niagara!
I actually think the storm looks moe proffesional tha the iphone, i like the looks of the storm a lot better. I went to the storm from an iphone 3g and ill never go back
Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #34
Chevyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim1126 View Post
I actually think the storm looks moe proffesional tha the iphone, i like the looks of the storm a lot better. I went to the storm from an iphone 3g and ill never go back
LOL !! You should know better than that now !?! You know you should never say NEVER !?! BTW, are you seriously basing these two great products in comparison by their looks ???? You must not be doing very much with either of them other than just looking at them I suppose, you'd be astounded what both have to offer !!!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #35
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim1126 View Post
Too bad your post didn't look "moe proffesional"
Old 04-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #36
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

i have to be honest with you guys as much as i hate the iphone you have to say that i phone is in a class of its own, that blackberry can not match. Apple has mad an OS that is so easy to use that anyone can use it old or young. the Ipone is great if your not doing alot of of serious business work where time might be a major issue. the iphone kills blackberry in the movie playback and music, anything else well i have to say thats where Blackberry takes over.
i feel that if blackberry comes out with a same idea as the iphone OS wise they can kill the iphone with no real effort. the storm I and II would have been or will be great phones only and only if the OS is great. the main reason i sold my storm was the OS was not doing the job as smooth as the 9000,8800,8300,8700 i feel even the 8700 was better then the storm thats with the storm OS upgrades.
so bottem line is each phone has its type of customer. the iphone is for the person who does not care if the email is 10 mins late or 15 and the blackberry just a more robust OS where it does the job you need it to do. blackberry should not lose focus on its business/cutomers thats what made them great and still are.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #37
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERK350Z View Post
the blackberry just a more robust OS where it does the job you need it to do.
Sorry, but the Blackberry OS is not "more robust" All the "robust" features you speak of could be accomplished on the iphone OS if Apple so desired. And if the BB OS is so "robust" then why is a battery pull required so often.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #38
bostonnerd

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Sorry, but the Blackberry OS is not "more robust" All the "robust" features you speak of could be accomplished on the iphone OS if Apple so desired. And if the BB OS is so "robust" then why is a battery pull required so often.
I have a Bold on BES, and an iPhone on EAS that I use daily. The iphone OS is only as "robust" as it is because Apple has limited it's functionality. When Apple announced 3.0 firmware they flat out stated that they wouldn't implement multitasking due to the unacceptable battery life decrease. As my Bold and iphone get around the same battery life and the Bold multitasks, I consider the excuse bogus. Sure I could jailbreak but I've been there and done that. The iphone became unstable and crashed regularly.

As to the memory leaks on the BB requiring a battery pull, I see the same thing on the Iphone (try Freemem), along with app crashes on a semi regular basis. In fairness, I also see occasional memory leaks on Windows, Solaris, AIX, SuSE, Redhat, and other OS platforms. Happens across all OS platforms. They are tough to debug, especially in embedded systems

Both platforms have their pros and cons. Arguing about which is more robust or better for all users is pointless.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #39
iLawCDN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I've seen the iPhone vs BlackBerry conversation everywhere. It's arguably the two most compared phones on the market. It's starting to get to the level of Pepsi vs Coke.

So, if the community would allow; here is my $0.02.

You want an iPhone if... you are a CONSUMER. This means you want a cool phone, that has thousands of apps to do pretty much anything. You want a phone that can game, but also track your gas milage and tell you what song is playing on the radio. Graphics and picture taking and sharing is important to you. Not to mention you want to have the latest "in-thing" and not to mention the possibly greatest MP3 player to be found on a phone.

You want a BlackBerry if... You are a BUSINESS person. Email is of the highest priority and non-stop, instant communication is paramount to your business and/or life. You want an accurate, tactile keyboard that is less susceptible to errors and you can send quick messages to anyone, anywhere. anytime. You want to edit documents on the go and want/need to be connected to your office at anytime. The fact that your phone takes pictures and movies is a bonus.

In the end, it boils down to this. iPhone is a great device for MOST people. The average person who just needs it for phone, text but wants to have a lot of media on their phone and wants their phone to do a little bit of everything in everyday life. BlackBerrys are corporate/business kings. No one can beat them when it comes to email or instant communication and networking.

To me, they are two different devices. One for Consumers, one for Business users. All it comes down to is which one are you? Now I'm not saying that average people won't like BlackBerrys. I'm just saying you have to know where your priorities are. Its really a simple decision. Just think about it, and you'll know.

Last edited by iLawCDN; 04-13-2009 at 10:26 PM..
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #40
Chevyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLawCDN View Post
I've seen the iPhone vs BlackBerry conversation everywhere. It's arguably the two most compared phones on the market. It's starting to get to the level of Pepsi vs Coke.

So, if the community would allow; here is my $0.02.

You want an iPhone if... you are a CONSUMER. This means you want a cool phone, that has thousands of apps to do pretty much anything. You want a phone that can game, but also track your gas milage and tell you what song is playing on the radio. Graphics and picture taking and sharing is important to you. Not to mention you want to have the latest "in-thing" and not to mention the possibly greatest MP3 player to be found on a phone.

You want a BlackBerry if... You are a BUSINESS person. Email is of the highest priority and non-stop, instant communication is paramount to your business and/or life. You want an accurate, tactile keyboard that is less susceptible to errors and you can send quick messages to anyone, anywhere. anytime. You want to edit documents on the go and want/need to be connected to your office at anytime. The fact that your phone takes pictures and movies is a bonus.

In the end, it boils down to this. iPhone is a great device for MOST people. The average person who just needs it for phone, text but wants to have a lot of media on their phone and wants their phone to do a little bit of everything in everyday life. BlackBerrys are corporate/business kings. No one can beat them when it comes to email or instant communication and networking.

To me, they are two different devices. One for Consumers, one for Business users. All it comes down to is which one are you? Now I'm not saying that average people won't like BlackBerrys. I'm just saying you have to know where your priorities are. Its really a simple decision. Just think about it, and you'll know.
Very well put ! An excellent view point I must say !!