Old 11-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
a80baby
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 950
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Red face 4.5 upgrade on VW, bb maps gps not working

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone else out there upgraded there os to 4.5 with the verizon release 10-31-08 or any release for that matter and now gets the Where I am gps option but it doesnt work? It stays on Seachering for Satilites forever? i called VW adn they told me it was an issue with BB and they are working to fix this?

First of all they told me i should have always had that option even before the upgrade, meanwhile neither my curve or husbands had the find me function.... but either way nows its there and it doesnt work, i wanted to know if anyone out there knew how to fix this cause VW tech support is basically useless.... and yes i have the gps internal turned on.... thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Are you subscribed to the VZ Navigator? I don't believe you will get anywhere with GPS without this.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Redflea

Model: 8130

The color makes your post hard to read...my eyes and I would appreciate it if you just posted normally.

Quoting you so I can have it in B&W...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a80baby-no color
Has anyone else out there upgraded there os to 4.5 with the verizon release 10-31-08 or any release for that matter and now gets the Where I am gps option but it doesnt work? It stays on Seachering for Satilites forever? i called VW adn they told me it was an issue with BB and they are working to fix this?

First of all they told me i should have always had that option even before the upgrade, meanwhile neither my curve or husbands had the find me function.... but either way nows its there and it doesnt work, i wanted to know if anyone out there knew how to fix this cause VW tech support is basically useless.... and yes i have the gps internal turned on.... thanks in advance.
Two things to clarify...

- What GPS application are you trying to use? Where is this "Find Me" option that doesn't work? In VZNav, or Google Maps, or ? I looked in VZ Nav and don't see anything called "Find me." Can you describe the steps that you are following?

- From your comment at the end of your message, it sounds like you have subscribed to VZNav on both Blackberries, and are paying the extra $10 a month to enable the internal GPS. That's correct, right?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
a80baby

No, I do not have VZ Navigator but according to Verizon with the upgrade to 4.5 through them you will not need it for the gps function in BB maps to work.

When you go to bb maps, select find location then Where I am is an option.. but it never finds my location.

Verizon has since put in a ticket with BB directly to fix the problem, they claim it is a known issue with the upgrade..

Last edited by a80baby; 11-11-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Organman

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon (unfortunately)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a80baby View Post
No, I do not have VZ Navigator but according to Verizon with the upgrade to 4.5 through them you will not need it for the gps function in BB maps to work.

Verizon has since put in a ticket with BB directly to fix the problem, they claim it is a known issue with the upgrade..
WHAT?!!! Tell me it ain't so! 4.5 upgrade with Verizon will ENABLE GPS function??! I must be missing something!
Old 11-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

i seriously doubt this is true. verizon will always block features to be able to charge customers extra. they always have, going back to many different types of phones.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by a80baby View Post

When you go to bb maps, select find location then Where I am is an option.. but it never finds my location.

I am 99.9% sure that you have been misinformed. Verizon charges $10 a month to enable the GPS on their Blackberries...I know of no exceptions to that rule.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
a80baby

I swear this is what i was told, the girl even entered a ticket to get the issue resolved!! i called Several times cause you know when you call one time you get one answer then you call back and get someone else with another answer.. Before i upgraded i never even had the function to find my location, now the function is there but thats not to say that more then one person at Verizon was wrong.. .thats why i posted here to see if anyone else was told about this.... they did say it was an issue with BB and they are aware of it..... so i dont know.. ill keep you informed..
Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Redflea

Thanks, but entering a ticket doesn't mean anything will be done.

I'm not surprised if multiple CSRs were confused, that's pretty common.

Thanks for keeping us informed...if this comes true a lot of people here will be very surprised and very happy. But....I'm not going to get my hopes up. :D
Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
Sarlic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have paid my 10 bucks and have VZNav installed.... Never been able to get other programs to work, even when turning on the Follow Me map... very frustrating. Ugh. Do a search about VZW and GPS, I doubt you'll find many exhaustive discussions on the topic....

Last edited by Sarlic; 11-13-2008 at 08:43 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I ditched Verizon for this reason, back when they were crippling bluetooth on phones. Luckily, in the NYC metro area there are good alternatives. I'm sure they couldn't care less about my account but voting with your cash is probably the only thing you can do about it. Turned out T-Mobile was costing much less and had excellent coverage.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I can't see an OS upgrading affecting the VZW BB lock. If an OS upgrade would have been the solution then VZW BB owners could have been using their internal GPS receivers without VZ Nav long long ago. The "lock" isn't in the OS as we've pointed out many times.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
a80baby

Yes i see that it was pointed out many times that the lock isnt the OS.... however this is what i was told by VW and posted here to see if anyone else got the same information... Im pretty sure that the 3 people i spoke to were confused or misinformed.. or reading something from BB but not knowing certain things dont apply to VW customers.. again just wanted to see if anyone else heard anything..

on a side note my sister has the VZ nav and honestly its great, we used in on vacation since we had no clue about the area.. its worth the 10 a month if you dont have the web on your phone.. but i refuse to pay for it since my BB CAN do it if they let me.. but again ill keep you all posted if anything changes.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Redflea

At $10 a month that's $120 a year...for about $60 one-time payment you can get a Freedom Keychain Bluetooth GPS puck that will link up with your BB and allow you to use any GPS software you like (including VZNav) for no monthly charge.

It's really small, very fast and reliable, and you don't end up paying for it when you're not using it...in my case I found that after the initial "Oooo - I have GPS & voice nav!" excitement wore off that I only rarely actually needed to use it.

Check out the review of it here...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bbf-...-receiver.html

It's very cool...

Old 11-16-2008, 02:41 AM   #15
kvolson

Model: 8330

I've upgraded to 4.5 and my gps doesn't work with anything but VZ Navigator. But it didn't work before I upgraded either. I also checked BB Maps and it still doesn't work.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #16
a80baby

is the gps puck hard to use? i have seen them but i was afraid to buy something i wont know how to use.. do i have to then install an app with it? can you explain a little more how it works?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
Redflea

You don't have to install any apps...it connects to your BB via BlueTooth (built into the BB and the puck) and the any GPS apps on the BB connect to it for GPS info.

You treat it like a bluetooth headset...once you've paired it with the Blackberry all you need to do is turn it on.

After pairing it w/the blackberry, you change one setting in the BB in Options>Advanced Options>GPS to tell the BB that the puck is the preferred GPS source.

Read the review in the thread I pointed you to above.

Amazon has these, I believe, in the $60 range right now, and they have an easy return policy in case you're nervous about whether you'd like it or not.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
a80baby

Thank you Redflea, i tried to link to your review but it didnt work, the page wouldnt load for some reason. Since christmas is coming i will put it on my list! i read a couple other reviews on amazon and i think i can handle it.. thanks again.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #19
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Orange

I work for Freedom and it is exactly as Redflea describes it. Not sure who is selling them on amazon at the moment but we do have a special offer on them for forum members right now (link below). If you want to check out the review on here have a look under the Blackberry technical>BBF reviews section (its near the top).

Forum offer:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/free...ml#post1168012
Old 12-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
rsaulnie

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
I can't see an OS upgrading affecting the VZW BB lock. If an OS upgrade would have been the solution then VZW BB owners could have been using their internal GPS receivers without VZ Nav long long ago. The "lock" isn't in the OS as we've pointed out many times.
I beleave the long delay of the bold and storm was due to mods in the os and contract nagotiation between the carriers V and ATT. The mods in the OS as far as I can see ... disable GPS and only enable it if ATT Maps installed. Although they say .. other software may work ...

I have a feeling the same will be done with Sling Media.
Closed Thread