Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default outlook web access url???

Please Login to Remove!

ok so I work for a state agency and ive been trying to get my outlook company email sent to my blackberry. I tried to do it myself and i knew mostly what to put...my email address...my username...etc. what i do not know is the outlook web access url. i tried to guess and i was wrong...blackberry sent me an email saying that i could probably get the url from IT at work. Well I called the IT guys and they said that theyve done several treos but have tried to do 2 blackberries and neither worked. So one of the guys decided to help. The only thing we need is the url. So he called microsoft outlook support and was told that it is on the exchange server but that microsoft couldn't tell him unless we paid like 300 dollars. I don't understand what the deal is? This is part of the email I received from blackberry...im not sure what the deal is but it looks like ill only have my personal email on my BB.

If you access your email account using a web browser (using a program called Outlook™ Web Access), you need the following information.
Note: You can find out this information from your System Administrator:

Outlook Web Access URL: The web address for accessing your corporate email
for example, Company.com - incorporate, business email accounts, stock market investments, and more.
Email Address: Your email address
for example, [email address]
Email account Name: The portion of the email address before the "@" symbol. Often the same as your user name
for example, patrickmoser in the address [email address]
User Name: The user name for your account on the Microsoft® Exchange server
for example, patrickmoser
Password: The Outlook or network login password

If you are still having difficulties adding your email account, visit the online help on the BlackBerry Internet Service site.

Thank you.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABarrera View Post
ok so I work for a state agency and ive been trying to get my outlook company email sent to my blackberry. I tried to do it myself and i knew mostly what to put...my email address...my username...etc. what i do not know is the outlook web access url. i tried to guess and i was wrong...blackberry sent me an email saying that i could probably get the url from IT at work. Well I called the IT guys and they said that theyve done several treos but have tried to do 2 blackberries and neither worked. So one of the guys decided to help. The only thing we need is the url. So he called microsoft outlook support and was told that it is on the exchange server but that microsoft couldn't tell him unless we paid like 300 dollars. I don't understand what the deal is? This is part of the email I received from blackberry...im not sure what the deal is but it looks like ill only have my personal email on my BB.

If you access your email account using a web browser (using a program called Outlook™ Web Access), you need the following information.
Note: You can find out this information from your System Administrator:

Outlook Web Access URL: The web address for accessing your corporate email
for example, Company.com - incorporate, business email accounts, stock market investments, and more.
Email Address: Your email address
for example, [email address]
Email account Name: The portion of the email address before the "@" symbol. Often the same as your user name
for example, patrickmoser in the address [email address]
User Name: The user name for your account on the Microsoft® Exchange server
for example, patrickmoser
Password: The Outlook or network login password

If you are still having difficulties adding your email account, visit the online help on the BlackBerry Internet Service site.

Thank you.

Ok, I have done this for quite a few people at my company. Login to your OWA account via a regular PC. When you are in your inbox, copy the URL out of your browser. It should end in "/exchange". This is the URL you need. If your OWA is being a reverse proxy server (the address will be different when you access from work from within your WAN and when you access it externally from home, etc.) If it is behind a proxy server BIS will not work and you will need to discuss IMAP or POP with your IT folks.

Let me know if it works!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

im at work...logged into outlook and there is no url at the top of outlook for me to copy
Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABarrera View Post
im at work...logged into outlook and there is no url at the top of outlook for me to copy

Its the address in the Internet Explorer window. Should start off HTTP:// or HTTPS://

It's the one that now currently says BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community blah).

Login to OWA and copy that address and paste it into the BIS settings.

Does that make sense?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
ABarrera
Thumbs Must Hurt

i dont log into web access if that makes sense...i just start up the computer and double click on the outlook icon. if there would be a visible url i would def copy it but thats the problem ... there isnt one. when i go into tools and then email accounts and then view or change existing email accounts then when i click on microsoft exchange server it says:
microsoft exchange server: 12AUST1001EXV03.txdfps.dfps.txnet.state.tx.us

now im sure the url is similar to this but i think its not complete here...there should be an exchange/ or something else but what i dont know. i just wish more people had bb's here bc then i know i wouldnt be having this problem.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Ok, I understand. You are in the office and using the email shortcut (Outlook icon). And you are right it is not showing a address because it's directly in the mail server. OWA access (If you are sure your organization has it) allows you to access your email when you are outside of the company, at home on a PC where there is no Icon for your email.

Do you know how to read your email from home over the web? If so follow those steps and then you will see the URL. If you don't know the steps just ask IT how to login to your OWA account to access your email externally. Once you login using that method you will be able to record the URL and hopefully set-up BIS via OWA to get email directly on your BB.

E-

Old 01-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Update please... did you get it to work?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491

I did this just last night for my wife's BB. As Thatzmister2u said, you will see the URL once you log on to OWA from home.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
jletsis

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

My IT department wont give out the URL.....is there a way around them?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
PaulMdx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletsis View Post
My IT department wont give out the URL.....is there a way around them?
Guess? Other than that, no.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
csquare
Thumbs Must Hurt

the address should be something like:
https://webmail.your company name.com/exchange
At that point, you are asked for your log on credientials such as username and password
To setup your blackberry to pickup your corporate mail, you would either have to be on a BES (corporate server) or a BIS (Internet server). The BES delivers your mail directly to your blackberry from the exchange server once it is set up. If you use BIS, then you would log on to the URL address listed above.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:36 AM   #12
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: TELUS

Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

In my IT world access to OWA requires both aporoval and then an account to be set up. The URL is useless unless someone has approved you for an account.

Typically if you log into the URL it will still ask you for a user name and password which has to be set up when you get the account set up.

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS
Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
csquare
Thumbs Must Hurt

True, assuming that his IT guys do this for him.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #14
gotRoot

I'm not sure why these folks above are giving you the wrong address, they might not admin Exchange servers or something. If you're accessing the MOBILE version of your Outlook Web Access, the address should be something along the lines of:

your.webmail.url/oma

There is no /exchange for the mobile version. You use the /exchange version for your home PC's web browser which can correctly present the data the server presents. The /oma is a "light" version of the web access client which makes more sense if you are doing it from your BB. I do it all of the time from my BB... It's quick, fast and way easy.

The above though is assuming the folks at your job configured the web access server using defaults and such and allowed access from mobile devices. Assuming they're on Exchange, they're also likely using Active Directory and you can turn off mobile web access (along with regular webmail access) via a group policy setting.

Assuming they set up mobile access by the book and it doesn't work, I'm afraid you have some IT folks in your organization to beat up on... ;)
Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
jojomexi

Model: na
Carrier: sprint

ok, i work for sprint and i know exactly what they are referring too. usually it is going to be a variant of your company.com/exchange(for OWA before 2007) and company.com/owa(for OWA 2007+). i cant give a SPECIFIC example but if you google for Outlook Web Access you will see what i mean.

But as you have already stated, if you have already talked with your IT and they said they specifically cannot give out the OWA site without approval AND the fact you have to have an OWA account created means unfortunately you would not be able to integrate your exchange email into a blackberry web client.

Blackberry Web Client USED to have a application that would sort of "search for the exchange server", but it was being found to work poorly, and was done away with.

You have TWO options from what I can see that you could do to integrate your email. Option ONE is attempt to use Desktop Redirector. I PERSONALLY DISLIKE THIS METHOD FULLY. It's a PAIN to use since you have to keep your desktop running with outlook/redirector to receive email, you CANNOT RECEIVE ATTACHMENTS through this way, and it's near IMPOSSIBLE to ever get this thing working when it stops.

DO THIS. Setup your web client account if you haven't already. Setup a Blackberry address. Now, go into your email settings for that address, and set the REPLY TO as your work address . To complete this setup, IT IS BEST TO REQUEST YOUR IT DEPARTMENT TO SETUP A HARD FORWARD ON THE SERVER TO FORWARD TO THAT SPRINT.BLACKBERRY.NET ADDRESS.

You may run into a brick wall here, since i've found customers say their IT will not allow work email to forward to an external address. Some companies DO allow this though, and is BEST for you. You can run your Outlook program and setup a hard forward (or rule) from your work pc's Outlook, but most of this time you will need to leave your outlook running to receive the email on your BB.

I know this thread looks old, but I needed to put my 2 cents in, since i run through this multiple times on a day-to-day basis. Hope this helps anyone!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #16
csquare
Thumbs Must Hurt

Gotroot,
Chill bud, this is not a debate on the "correct" way to log on to web servers, just other users trying to help!
Old 08-09-2008, 04:22 AM   #17
dkrull

Default Issues with setting up BIS for Outlook Web Access

Hi all,

Great forum. My company provides me with OWA to access web from anywhere. I'm able to access my email thru OWA via the Blackberry browser; however, I'd like to setup an email account (my company won't put me on the BES since they only do for company provided BB's). Anyways, I keep getting error messages when I provide my same OWA info that I use to access thru browser. Anyone seen this before? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #18
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I have seen this. Some company firewalls prevent this type of access (as did my last employer). I had all the server setting correct but the way the firewall was set up it still wouldnt allow me to use my BIS push email.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
dkrull

Thanks. It just doesn't make sense, though, when I can go thru the browser but not push thru BIS.
Closed Thread