Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default BlackBerry Professional Software Released

Please Login to Remove!

Research In Motion

Press Release
November 5, 2007

RIM Launches BlackBerry Professional Software, A New Wireless Solution for Small and Medium Businesses
Delivers Enterprise-Grade Security and Controls in a Streamlined and Affordable Package Optimized for Smaller Organizations with Deployments of up to 30 Wireless Users

Waterloo, ON - Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced the immediate availability of BlackBerry® Professional Software - a new wireless communications and collaboration solution that tightly integrates with the industry leading email servers and is specifically designed and priced to meet the needs of small and medium-sized businesses. BlackBerry Professional Software is based on the core functionality of the best-in-class BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software used by governments and large organizations worldwide, but it is streamlined and tailored to meet the needs of smaller organizations with up to 30 wireless users. BlackBerry Professional Software is priced at $499 for 5 users.

BlackBerry Professional Software enables small and medium-sized businesses to enhance communications and collaboration with an enterprise-grade mobility solution – allowing user-friendly wireless access to email, organizer, Internet and intranet applications with advanced security – while addressing the desirefor an in-house solution that is affordable, simple to install and easy to manage.

"Small and medium-sized organizations have many of the same business requirements for a mobility solution as compared with larger enterprises, but they often require more streamlined administration features," said Carrie MacGillivray, Senior Analyst, SMB Markets: Mobility, IDC. "It has become increasingly important for smaller companies to be able to easily and cost-effectively deploy and manage mobile technology solutions in order to remain competitive and responsive to customers. An offer that combines a mobility solution with enterprise grade middleware, and an intuitive user interface, will resonate with this increasingly mobile segment."

Key features and benefits of BlackBerry Professional Software include:

Small IT Footprint – Installs on the same server as the email system, saving customers the cost of additional hardware and operating system licenses.
Support for the Leading Email Systems – Provides tight integration with Microsoft® Exchange or IBM® Lotus® Domino®, allowing a full complement of synchronized wireless services including access to email, calendar, contacts, notes and tasks.
Simple Installation – A Pre-install Assistant utility performs a technical assessment of the environment and provides a recommended configuration making installation fast and easy with little or no requirement to determine configuration settings.
Easy Management – Simplified BlackBerry Manager Interface is a one-stop location for most management tasks, and wizards and quick-links enable customers to easily change common functions such as adding or deleting a user. IT policies are also easy to set up with pre-defined IT policy templates.
Advanced Security – Utilizes the same certified security architecture and encryption system of the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, which is trusted and accredited by more organizations around the world than any other wireless solution.
BlackBerry® MDS (Mobile Data System) Support – Provides customers with the ability to extend internal applications to mobile employees and use any of the thousands of third party applications developed for the BlackBerry platform.
“Productivity and flexibility are obviously important for small and medium-sized businesses and we know that the majority of these businesses are interested in a wireless solution, but many have been waiting for a server product that can afford greater IT simplicity while still allowing a superior quality of experience for users. We specifically designed BlackBerry Professional Software to provide a more simplified and affordable solution for small and medium-sized businesses, while maintaining industry leading performance, security and control,” said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at Research In Motion.

Pricing, Upgrading & How To Buy

BlackBerry Professional Software is priced at $499 USD (MSRP) for 5 users and $849 USD (MSRP) for 10 users. Either package can be expanded to support up to 30 wireless users with the purchase of additional standard Client Access Licenses (CALs). BlackBerry Professional Software can also be easily upgraded to BlackBerry Enterprise Server. BlackBerry Professional Software is available in multiple languages (English, French, Italian, German and Spanish) and can be purchased via electronic software download from BlackBerry.

Special Introductory Offer – Limited Time

With the launch of BlackBerry Professional Software, RIM is also announcing a special introductory offer. Beginning today and running until November 30, 2007, customers who purchase any 5 new BlackBerry smartphones will be eligible to receive a 5-user BlackBerry Professional Software package ($499 USD value). Visit www.blackberry.com/professionalfor details.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

I really don't like the idea of running BES on the Exchange server. What is nice about this BES though is that everything is wizard based with radio buttons, so doing stuff is easy if you've never used BES before.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I just saw this on BGR!!

I am stoked.... this will definitely help with small business accounts sales!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
BBAdmin

BGR, or BG "re-write everything off Engadget and Gizmodo" R.

Sorry, childish I know but I think the guy's a moron.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

thats just where I happened to run across it!

I run through several site when I get to work that was the first today after BBF
Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin View Post
BGR, or BG "re-write everything off Engadget and Gizmodo" R.

Sorry, childish I know but I think the guy's a moron.
Not everything. Jibi writes alot of stuff for them as well
Old 11-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Yeah Jibi breaks some BB news on there.

Most all the tech blogs just reuse other site's stories. Engadget and Giz do it as well.
BG does get some leaks every so often though that are his alone and then end up on Giz or Engadget, they all give credit to each other so no big deal.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
BBAdmin

Quote:
Jibi writes alot of stuff for them as well
About the only decent thing on his site! I'm just not a big fan of how BG leaked some of his earlier info. Let's just say some people lost some jobs.

Anyway, I've dragged this thread off topic which I'd give any other forum user grief over...so what do we think about BlackBerry Professional Edition? I'm dreading anything third party that runs on the mail server. Unfortunately when this was pitched to me by RIM a few months ago I actually liked what this software was supposed to be delivering, but it seems they didn't get everything they wanted to launch.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
spoonman

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Altel

So we've setup a demo 1 licensed BPS server to integrate with our Exchange server. What do I do next with my blackberry??? I want to syncronize my mail acct on exchange to it? I'm very new to the BB world so please help? Thanks
Closed Thread