BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
bama90_mla

Model: 8700
Arrow keeping business (BES) email seperate from pop email

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a way to have business email and pop email stay seperated on the blackberry. A former treo user does not like that his company email and private email dump into the same inbox on the Blackberry 8700. Is there a native solution or 3rd party app that will do this?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama90_mla
Is there a way to have business email and pop email stay seperated on the blackberry. A former treo user does not like that his company email and private email dump into the same inbox on the Blackberry 8700. Is there a native solution or 3rd party app that will do this?
In the BB OS 4.1, there's a icon for each mail account configured (BES & BIS). The main message icon will always be the composite of all email accounts (default from RIM and cannot be changed). Email delivered to the POP accounts configured on the BIS are delivered to their respective icon on the BB.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

whsbuss are you sure there's a seperate icon for the BES? i thought it was just seperate inboxes for your BIS accounts
Old 05-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Unless whsbuss knows something I don't (which is entirely possible because he's been testing different functions of BIS 2.0 ever since it came out -- I think he knows more about it than RIM does ), you're correct. BES is found under the existing mail icon that has always been on your device; it doesn't get its own icon. You have to share this icon with text messages, voice mail notifications, and (if you have the feature turned on) phone logs. Each BIS account gets its own icon where on messages that are in that account show up.

Last edited by gdpmumin; 05-08-2006 at 11:21 AM..
Old 05-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
Unless whsbuss knows something I don't (which is entirely possible because he's been testing different functions of BIS 2.0 ever since it came out -- I think he knows more about it than RIM does ), you're correct. BES is found under the existing mail icon that has always been on your device; it doesn't get its own icon. You have to share this icon with text messages, voice mail notifications, and (if you have the feature turned on) phone logs. Each BIS account gets its own icon where on messages that are in that account show up.
Guys, you're both correct. The BES account is in fact part of the main mail icon. Only BIS configured accounts get their own icon on the BB. I apologize for any misleading info as I was trying indicate POP mail can be managed from the individual icons.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Remember that you can always set up a search by service (BES, etc)
Old 05-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
bama90_mla

Model: 8700

So - this is only available with V4.1 of BES?
We will be upgrading to that in June. Plan to attend the Wireless Symposium next week to get the details.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

it's actually 4.1 handheld code - not BES
and have BIS 2.0
Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #9
cdemisch

Model: 8700g
Question

I'm struggling with this problem --

I have a work email thru BES and a personal one through BIS (gmail)..
my "messages" folder shows emails from both accounts, while a second folder popped up with just the BIS messages.

Is there a way to create another folder that will just display the BES messages??

I found that I can see only the BES messages by navigating to the "Inbox" folder in the Messages window, but is there a way to make a shortcut to that folder, or choose that as the default when I open the "messages??"

Alternatively, is it possible for the BIS emails NOT to be displayed in the main messages folder??

its sort of useless if I can't separate the personal stuff from the work stuff.... grrr....

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 AM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

The "Messages" folders contains all messages. BES, BIS, SMS, MMS, you name it. You can not create a seperate BES only folder.

It's a limitation we've all somehow found a way to live with.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #11
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
The "Messages" folders contains all messages. BES, BIS, SMS, MMS, you name it. You can not create a seperate BES only folder.

It's a limitation we've all somehow found a way to live with.
Things are developing - on the pearl v.4.0.2.51 there's a seperate icon / folder for SMS & MMS. This is really handy for me as I tend to turn off email notification and then it makes it pretty easy to miss a text message...

I'm pretty sure however (not tested) that this wont resolve the OP's issue of having a BES only folder..
Old 11-26-2006, 11:47 PM   #12
The AfterBURNER

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Yeah, I think it shouldnt be that hard to create a new icon -- "ALL", "BES", etc... perhaps a 3rd party software can do that?? Anyone?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:07 AM   #13
ErikPritchard

Model: 8703e

I have the same thought you do about separate inboxes. I don't want to start receiving work calls on my home number or vice versa, so why would I want all my personal emails mixed in with my work emails? I don't. To be honest, I surprised that most BB users seem so non-chanlent, "what's the big deal?" about it. I'm a skilled software user (not a developer unless you count html) and I see this to be an odd, unfixed drawback to this otherwise excellent product-- nothing beats a BES. Why advertise "up to ten email addresses" if you still really only have one big cluttered inbox? If I find a solution to our desire to have separate inboxes I'll definitley post it.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:12 AM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikPritchard
I have the same thought you do about separate inboxes. I don't want to start receiving work calls on my home number or vice versa, so why would I want all my personal emails mixed in with my work emails? I don't. To be honest, I surprised that most BB users seem so non-chanlent, "what's the big deal?" about it. I'm a skilled software user (not a developer unless you count html) and I see this to be an odd, unfixed drawback to this otherwise excellent product-- nothing beats a BES. Why advertise "up to ten email addresses" if you still really only have one big cluttered inbox? If I find a solution to our desire to have separate inboxes I'll definitley post it.

Welcome to the forums....

There are a lot of people out there that share your opinion--like me. The BB has been like that since the beginning. Only in the last year or so has the ability to have the separate inboxes for BIS mail even been a reality.

Again, Welcome.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #15
vortex racing

Model: 7730

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Guys, you're both correct. The BES account is in fact part of the main mail icon. Only BIS configured accounts get their own icon on the BB. I apologize for any misleading info as I was trying indicate POP mail can be managed from the individual icons.
excuse my ignorence. what is BIS BES?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex racing
excuse my ignorence. what is BIS BES?
BIS=Blackberry Internet Service. When you use the "setup internet email" on the device it goes through your provider's Blackberry Internet Service. It's also accessible on the web at your provider's website.

BES=Blackbery Enterprise Server. It is used by corporations mostly for corporate email/BB solutions. There are also third party companies that provide BES services (small monthly fee) for those that are not on a corporate system. Great system, overall, if you can get on one. It provides wireless sync for almost all your BB data. Downside is some corporations push IT policies to the devices that can restrict any or all functions of the BB.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #17
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

This is for the original poster. Please see this link.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/...separate.html#post439403
Closed Thread