Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #21
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I wish they would push it to mine, as I never got it and would like it!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #22
RadHaz75

Model: 9650
PIN: BALL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
I'll bet you're wrong.
My money is on hdwag. We are a LARGE company with over 13,000 devices and they push to us (along with other large companies which I have friends in).

So that we can more understand this argument, what part of penguins post do you specifically think is opinion?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #23
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Stop the ad hominem attacks and all will be fine.

Your judgmental tone is rude and presumptuous.

I am not naive and I'm free to my opinion, as you are yours. Just don't attack my opinion.

Why are you getting so worked up about my opinion? You seem to be the one freaking out, because I'm not bending to your opinion.
Relax man.... Penguin was not attacking you... Just stating the obvious... EVERY carrier in the US does this... If you don't like it, ditch the cell phone / device and use a payphone instead....

Relax, have a cool one and hide the stupid icon(s) as described above..

Kris
Old 07-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #24
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael12005 View Post
I wish they would push it to mine, as I never got it and would like it!
You can download it from Blackberry App World, it is free.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
MizLiz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Yep, sure was

I noticed that app too. Said it was free, but when I started setting it up, it wanted credit card numbers. That did it for me...out it went. Verizon sure made some money off that, I guess.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #26
MizLiz

Permanently remove crapware? I've done it with my former BB (Curve 8330) Options/Advanced options/Applications. After the list is built, you can highlight the app you don't want and delete it. The menu gives you the option.....I haven't done it yet on the tour. I just made up a new folder called "junk" and put the unwanted apps there. For now, anyway.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #27
MizLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
Wirelessly posted

Hasn't been pushed to mine yet. I created a red folder on my tour titled CRAP .. That's where all the icons I don't use go

You created a RED FOLDER? How? I'd like a little garbage can, myself. All these folders look exactly alike except for the standard ones. Very irritating.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
Permanently remove crapware? I've done it with my former BB (Curve 8330) Options/Advanced options/Applications. After the list is built, you can highlight the app you don't want and delete it. The menu gives you the option.....I haven't done it yet on the tour. I just made up a new folder called "junk" and put the unwanted apps there. For now, anyway.
Except it will get pushed back to the device at some point by the carrier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
You created a RED FOLDER? How? I'd like a little garbage can, myself. All these folders look exactly alike except for the standard ones. Very irritating.
Menu >> Add Folder... Scroll over to the folder icon and hit the trackball, then you will see a list of folder colors to choose from... Red is one of the colors...

Kris
Old 07-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #29
MizLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Except it will get pushed back to the device at some point by the carrier...

Menu >> Add Folder... Scroll over to the folder icon and hit the trackball, then you will see a list of folder colors to choose from... Red is one of the colors...

Kris
Well, bless your heart. That helps a lot!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:01 AM   #30
neonerz

Model: 9630

I have to agree with kurichan. When I first noticed it on my Tour (was after a reboot), I bugged out for a minute, until I realized how it got there.

Why is this a problem? We distribute Blackberrys to employees for business purposes and business purposes alone. We do not allow employees to download third party apps, unless WE push it out to them.

We spent a lot of money on our BES, licensing, on our contracts with VZ, on buying handsets, on upgrading handsets, now they want to use my menu as a billboard too? The least they could of done is pushed it out to the download folder, like everything else you download ends up.

Why should I have to go in now and change IT polices in the BES to keep them from using this app? I can't see RIM's major customers, who don't even allow cameras and memory cards, to want their employees to use this. Just the name alone makes it very unprofessional, "Slacker Radio".

This isn't a iPhone or an Android based phone. This is a phone that was ALWAYS intended for businesses, and I don't see one legitimate business purpose for this app. This is the very reason the government wants to start taxing individuals who have business cell phones. Personal usage.

If they want to push out an app, push out something (semi) useful, like the full version of docs to go.

/rant
Old 07-30-2009, 04:54 AM   #31
michael12005

And here lies the problem. BlackBerry in their wisdom decided to make their devices somehow compete with the i-Phone and they have failed miserably. I would never leave my home without my Tour but I treat it as a business device, email being the priority, followed by occassional web use to check the DOW. I am not interested in playing music, videos etc. I own an i-Touch which I "play" with at home. It is a fabulous deivce for music, videos, general web use but for me useless when it comes to email for one reason only and that is that email only gets "pushed" to the device every 15 minutes and I need mine instantly, which is what BB is known for.

So folks do not expect your BB to be an i-Phone in drag, it isn't and probably never will be.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #32
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Icon pushes like this have been happening long before iPhone ...
Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #33
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonerz View Post
Why should I have to go in now and change IT polices in the BES to keep them from using this app? I can't see RIM's major customers, who don't even allow cameras and memory cards, to want their employees to use this
Because as a BES admin, that's your job. If the icon showed up on your end user devices, it's because you allowed it. If you're concerned about icons being pushed from the carrier, then you should have had them blocked already. It's not that hard to do.

Quote:
This is a phone that was ALWAYS intended for businesses
Keyword = WAS. Now, it simply isn't true. RIM wants prosumer marketshare just as much as corporate.

Quote:
and I don't see one legitimate business purpose for this app.
So block it via BES. That's why those features exist.
Closed Thread