Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #21
Congressman35

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I had a similar situation to this one...my story:

I was taking pictures and the phone turned off and none of the buttons would respond. I did a battery pull and when the phone came back on the battery indicator was too low for radio use, even though the battery was full prior to the phone freezing.

I then had the same type of problems you're describing, where the phone would freeze, especially when using the web, making phone calls, or multi-tasking. Obviously this renders the phone pretty useless.

I tried to change the OS, wipe the device clean, and even got a new unit from T-Mobile. All had the same problem. By a long, long process of elimination I realized that it was the battery itself that was the problem.

My battery cover was slightly pushed up by the battery underneath. I bought a new battery and put it in and....no problems since! The swelling of my old battery was very subtle, but after buying a new one I could definitely tell the difference. I'm hoping this was the real issue but I'll update if there are any additional problems.

Hope this helps!

Side note: the Curve T-Mobile sent me had it's own issues, including the keys not working with the old or new battery.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #22
sekmekji
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
Carrier: Tmobile

OK over the weekend i cont'd having the problem so i did a wipe using jl cmder and reinstalled the os and let the bes do it's thing without doing a restore through the manager and still the problem. I was even able to induce the problem today by making a call using bluetooth headset and then conferencing another call after about 5 seconds into the 2nd call it died. Donxxx8217;t know if any of the facts are important but that's what happened. I will try a new battery and see how it helps...
Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #23
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
It's almost guaranteed the the "official" release from TMobile/AT&T will have this same issue.

All the OS's are developed by RIM for each model. 4.5 is official, just TMobile hasn't stamped it yet. The SD card issues are the same across the board, regardless of carrier.
I do not think so that the "official" TMobile/AT&T release will exhibit the same issue. Do we think that TMobile folks are not aware of this? As of now everyone is downloading and installing newer versions of OS at their own risk.. TMobile does not support them. If rel 4.5 from TMobile shows the same issues then it is going to be a big big hit on TMobile which I do not think will be a justified move from the company.

Nokia 2100 > Nokia 6100 > Samsung t319 > Nokia 5300 > Blackberry 8320 > Blackberry 8900 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4
Old 09-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #24
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

You seriously think TMobile only releases perfect OS's? I know better. TMobile released 4.2.1 with serious MultiTap issues in the OS. They were never fixed. They still sell the device with that OS. Good chance ATT or Tmobile will release .69. Possible that it could be a newer version, though, too.

The chances of TMobile finding this problem are slim. Most testing is done with a fresh copy of the OS and a clean media card, if at all. I would put money on it that this issue with some mp3 or .jpg files is still there when TMobile releases it.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #25
geekboy2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_3012 View Post
I do not think so that the "official" TMobile/AT&T release will exhibit the same issue. Do we think that TMobile folks are not aware of this? As of now everyone is downloading and installing newer versions of OS at their own risk.. TMobile does not support them. If rel 4.5 from TMobile shows the same issues then it is going to be a big big hit on TMobile which I do not think will be a justified move from the company.
I'll give you that T-Mobile seems to err on the side of caution with releases, as they seem to be dead last to roll them out. But, having said that, they don't write the software, and there are bugs in all software. I think that with 4.5 being as "mature" as it now is, it's likely to be just as stable as 4.2.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #26
dryadsdad

Carrier: t-mobile

My new T-Mobile 8320 did that and always during a phone call. Since it was but one day old, I took it back to the retailer. He called T-Mobile who said it was a defective phone.

We swapped the SIM and media card into a new Curve and there hasn't been a recurrance of the problem.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #27
emgee420

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmobile

had the same problem...bought a new battery. havent had a problem since.
hope that works for you too.
if you have access to another working battery, try it out
Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #28
gatorchomp83

Model: 8310

Had the same issues the last two weeks as well and AT&T warranty sent me a new battery over the weekend. No issues to speak of whatsoever since then, knock on wood.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #29
sekmekji

ok so after using my old battery (from my 8700) things have been looking great!.....thank you guys for all your support and feedback......hopefully things will hold...so far it's been about 2 days and no problems whatsoever (compared to at least 1 issue a day)
Old 09-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
sekmekji

another day no problems!
Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #31
sekmekji

I am convinced it was the battery.......my only concern is what caused the battery to go bad. The major thing i did right before it went bad was an OS upgrade so i think that might have something to do with it.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #32
jjd228
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

an os upgrade cant possibly effect the physical battery, obviously. batteries simply go bad... or are defective to begin with.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #33
sekmekji

theoretically the power consumption of the phone while being attached to a power source can be modified by the software on the phone and that's why i say it is possible.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #34
bboy123

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default Same Problem

I started having this problem a weak ago. I started freeing up memory got it to 20megs free with no help. So I started looking into a new OS and saw that 4.5xx93 was out there. So, I backed everything up and installed the new OS. Everything works fine, except it is still shutting down. My curve is about 2 years old so my initial thought was a bad battery. After reading this post I am confident that it is the battery. Because, I have noticed the bulge effect on the battery door. I am ordering a new one tonight. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #35
superfrustr8ted

So ive been reading these threads and there super helpful...however, I have an 8320 I was experiencing the same "on the phone/email/internet" get static and the phone shuts down. The only way to turn it back on is to plug in a charger. My issue is that i've replaced the phone, battery and the sim. Ive wiped the phone ive reinstalled the most recent OS ive left the SD card out aand i've prayed. Nothing seems to work. Originally after troubleshooting i thought perhaps it the data the the carrier is sending to my phone but I plugged in my other 8320 with no sim and got the same result.

Either im just so lucky that T-Mobile would send me two phones back to back with the same problem or I downloaded some kind of corruption/virus to my phone and with doing the data trans to the new one the said above was trans too.

If there is n e poss that these thing could occur plz let me know.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #36
Rotty022

Model: 8300

my phone has turned off several times. i replaced the battery about 1 week ago. my phone turned off today. it turned off after i sent a sms. i had to pull the battery. battery was at 85%+

not sure what caused it. all i know is this problem sucks.
Closed Thread