Old 09-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Auroraboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Accessing corporate e-mail through webmail and BIS

Please Login to Remove!

I have a personal 8820 with BB data plan on Rogers, and have configured personal e-mail.

Our company supports Windows Mobile only and has no plans to support BB and BES. We are running Office 2007.

Can I access my company e-mail through webmail access (yes I can access company e-mail, via webmail today, on any computer). From my research, I think I can integrate a MS Outlook Web access e-mail account with BB BIS, so that my company e-mail goes to my BB, and I can view like webmail.

Is this correct? If so, any particular watchouts, recos etc.?

Thanks in advance

Another BB newbie
Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
GXX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Yes, Outlook OWA works. Just enter your account info into BIS and it'll magically do it's thing.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

You could also install the BlackBerry Server Express in your work computer and it can synchronize all the contact/calendar/email/etc. from there. You can download it from Rim.

That is assuming that the appropriate SRP port is open for outbound traffic from your network.

Also, this type of solution is best for desktop computers.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Auroraboy

Default It works

After some trial and error with data inputs, I was able to successfully configure my work e-mail account on my BB through BIS access!

All is good!

Thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroraboy View Post
After some trial and error with data inputs, I was able to successfully configure my work e-mail account on my BB through BIS access!

All is good!

Thanks
Auroraboy...
We are a full Bes shop and support OWA. This sounds interesting as we do not support all phones. This sounds like I could now get a bold and get my company email without a BES security corp. profile placed on my phone if I can link through OWA?

What do you need to do? Just have your corporate login info and name of the Exchange OWA?

Last edited by holden; 09-05-2008 at 10:00 PM..
Old 09-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
Auroraboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Auroraboy...
We are a full Bes shop and support OWA. This sounds interesting as we do not support all phones. This sounds like I could now get a bold and get my company email without a BES security corp. profile placed on my phone if I can link through OWA?

What do you need to do? Just have your corporate login info and name of the Exchange OWA?
Just log into your provider's BIS page (mine was rogers.com/bis) and log into your BB email account (assuming you have one if you receive e-mail). Create a new email (your corporate email) and when prompted, tell it you will enter the setup information. The "hard" part was getting the exact/proper inputs for each section (exchange server info, user name etc)

Last edited by Auroraboy; 09-06-2008 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 09-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
holden

Quote:
Just log into your provider's BIS page (mine was rogers.com/bis) and log into your BB email account (assuming you have one if you receive e-mail). Create a new email (your corporate email) and when prompted, tell it you will enter the setup information. The "hard" part was getting the exact/proper inputs for each section (exchange server info, user name etc)
Ok, I figured out that much regarding the regular BIS setup but now the hard part like you said. I guess what I am looking for will be found when I speak with my exchange admin. Does there have to be a setup on Exchange to do this and allow a push to a device? Or will it work by just having OWA implemented? I guess one way to find out is to try it on our test account and see if it works. I will post this next week as it will take some time to try this.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #8
Auroraboy

Search "KB03133" in Google. Go to the Blackberry.com site link and open this article. It provides step by step procedure to integrate a MS OWA with BB BIS.

Hope this helps. Took me a little trial and error to get all fields inputted exactly as needed.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
holden

Lightbulb

Quote:
Search "KB03133" in Google. Go to the Blackberry.com site link and open this article. It provides step by step procedure to integrate a MS OWA with BB BIS.

Hope this helps. Took me a little trial and error to get all fields inputted exactly as needed.
Found the KB. This looks promising..!! Thx...
Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #10
holden

Quote:

All is good!

Thanks
The only other item will be calendar. I suspect this will not support calendar??
But then again, maby if this only works for inbox you can sync at work for calendar and contacts, memo and task on the usb?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
Auroraboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
The only other item will be calendar. I suspect this will not support calendar??
But then again, maby if this only works for inbox you can sync at work for calendar and contacts, memo and task on the usb?
I believe that is true. Only supports e-mail via OWA - not contacts, calendar etc. I understood you need BES for full synching of calendar, contacts etc.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #12
TimGinCentralNJ

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I believe that is true. Only supports e-mail via OWA - not contacts, calendar etc. I understood you need BES for full synching of calendar, contacts etc.
Auroraboy-

Hope you don't mind my jumping-in on this thread....

Along the lines of what Holden is trying to figure out, I'm trying to see whether there's a way to manually sync my work Lotus Notes Calendar via USB on a "personal" (e.g., non-BES) version Blackberry (8330).

We are a full Domino / BES shop here, but I don't want the company to pay for my B-berry device because they'd have full control over it...and I'd also be accountable for checking e-mail off hours. All I'm looking for is to have my work Calendar on my personal B-berry, but I don't know whether or not this can be done w/ out the BES-version device and/or software.

Any thoughts? TIA,
Tim G.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #13
GrandMstrBud
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: 2075BBB4
Carrier: Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXX View Post
Yes, Outlook OWA works. Just enter your account info into BIS and it'll magically do it's thing.
I have a question on this. We have some accounts that will automatically configure on the BIS page and others that we have to manually put in the information. I've done some research and can not find an answer so I figured I would see if anyone else has experienced this. Our exchange server is 2003 SP2.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #14
Auroraboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGinCentralNJ View Post
Auroraboy-

Hope you don't mind my jumping-in on this thread....

Along the lines of what Holden is trying to figure out, I'm trying to see whether there's a way to manually sync my work Lotus Notes Calendar via USB on a "personal" (e.g., non-BES) version Blackberry (8330).

We are a full Domino / BES shop here, but I don't want the company to pay for my B-berry device because they'd have full control over it...and I'd also be accountable for checking e-mail off hours. All I'm looking for is to have my work Calendar on my personal B-berry, but I don't know whether or not this can be done w/ out the BES-version device and/or software.

Any thoughts? TIA,
Tim G.
My thoughts are that I am a Newbie!!! when it comes to BB, and I am trying to figure out the same thing you are. i.e. How to get contacts, calendar etc downloaded on my PERSONAL BB. I figured out to get corporate e-mail via BIS. My assumption is that I would need to install BB Desktop Mgr on my work laptop and sync via USB to update calendar, contacts. I need to see if our IT Dept. will even allow me to install the BB DM software, since our company does not "support" BB, only Windows Mobile.
Closed Thread