Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
SIOSAN

Model: 9320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Three
Unhappy New BB Curve 9320 - battery issues

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there, new new member here

I noticed this (or a similar) problem last night, and didn't want to start a new thread, which I have found out is the proper etiquette here - thanks Moderator - (I belong to another online community where both necro-posting and starting new threads are both frowned up --- very confusing!)

Anyway, enough blab from me - here's my issue that I'm hoping the BB community can help with (I'll give as much info as I can in this post)...

I've had my BB Curve 9320 for just one week, upgraded from my 9300, I think - yesterday I finally got round to transferring everything from the BB software from my old phone over to the new. Before this time, everything on my new phone was working purrfectly - good enough battery life, though not great - all in all, very user-friendly, as you'd expect from a BB *sucking up*

Anyway, after doing all I needed (or knew how) to do, I left the BB plugged in to recharge fully. This took absolutely ages - I'm talking a couple of hours at least, which I hadn't expected at all!

Then, last night, I set my alarm for a 5am start (yeah, I know, who knew there were five o clock's in the day?) - the alarm went off okay, no problems, woke me, but I hit snooze *guilty as charged y'honour* but woke fully at 6.20 - my BB dead as the proverbial dodo!

Still, not to be too flummoxed (I think I'm better with technology than I actually am lol, but I know my limitations!) - I took the phone and plug-in electric charger down the stairs, and while I was fixing a pot of coffee, plugged it in and waited for it to charge...

And waited.

And after that? I waited some more...

Eventually, three hours later, or there about - my phone was once again, fully charged and I checked out a couple of emails on it, sent another and made a phone call (lasting no more than 5 minutes). Put it down and left it while I pottered about doing what I had to do and...two hours later - battery empty

So, going through all the 'extras' I have on my phone - apps, games, etc - in order of those on my phone before the backup of stuff from my old phone...

BB Protect
Caller LED Free
One Touch Flashlight Free
Bubble Birds *ahem*
Droplets Free
Slide It Free
Ringtone Creator
Font Control

Things that appeared after old phone backup
Dictation Blue Free
Kobo
FancyTran
DropBox
DriveSafe.ly
Shazam
One Touch Flashlight V2N
You Tube *this may have been on the new phone before backup stuff was put on

I also have the 'usual' social media guff, that I don't use - Twitter, Facebook, and 'Social Media' (which I've not clicked on because...well, just because).

I also have a 4GB media card (is that the correct name for it?) - on which I store near enough 4 gig of music, which was used before yesterday with no ill-effects on the old trombone!!

Anyway, I'm hoping the boffins here (for there are bound to be some boffins, they're all over the net, helping out people like me all the time!!) - will be able to help - I don't want to have to go through the absolute pain in the rear of sending my phone back and getting a new one - if I've done something wrong, then I'm only going to do it again when if I get a new phone. Similarly if I'm advised to do a phone wipe >correct term?< I need to know if I should or shouldn't be doing something special (or different).

Thanks in advance for all the excellent, helpful responses that are going to come flooding in *bows*

Last edited by SIOSAN; 08-06-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
fourstringfuror
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: New BB Curve 9320 - battery issues

How many of those apps are running in the background?

Is this a new battery, or a used one?

Is the charger an actually BlackBerry charger?
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
SIOSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringfuror View Post
How many of those apps are running in the background?

Is this a new battery, or a used one?

Is the charger an actually BlackBerry charger?
I don't know how to check how many apps are running in the background...like I said, I'm not as technologically minded as I would like to think

The battery (and phone) are both only one week old, and the chargers, both the USB and plug, are both 'official BB kit'.

If you can tell me how to check on which apps are running, I'd be hugely grateful.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Open device options. Select device, application management. Scroll the screen left, so that you are looking at the CPU Now screen. Apps that are not running will show as not running. Other apps that are running or the apps that never shut down will show a % useage bar, and those apps that aren't doing anything will be at 0%.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
SIOSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Open device options. Select device, application management. Scroll the screen left, so that you are looking at the CPU Now screen. Apps that are not running will show as not running. Other apps that are running or the apps that never shut down will show a % useage bar, and those apps that aren't doing anything will be at 0%.
Thank you for explaining where to find the information, trust me, I'd never have found it on my own!

Okay, so I have

Google Maps running at around 90%
Options running between 1 and 4%

And everything else either running at 0% or not running at all.

How on earth can I turn off GM? I'm not going anywhere tonight
Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Don't know (don't use it) but open it and then open the menu and look for close or exit.

Also, in most cases, holding down the back button while in an app will close the app, but not always. Test.

And also, if you hold down the menu button that will open the switch application ribbon. That will also show you what apps are running, but not always. Some apps that go to background when closed may not show.

But sounds like Google Maps may be the answer to your issue.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
SIOSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Don't know (don't use it) but open it and then open the menu and look for close or exit.

Also, in most cases, holding down the back button while in an app will close the app, but not always. Test.

And also, if you hold down the menu button that will open the switch application ribbon. That will also show you what apps are running, but not always. Some apps that go to background when closed may not show.

But sounds like Google Maps may be the answer to your issue.
Thank you so much for all your help! I've now deleted GM off - I really don't need it and can't remember why I put it on my phone in the first place!

I'll let you know if I have any more battery issues (I'm sure you're thrilled at that promise)
Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
MartinCube

Carrier: virgin mobile

Thank you aiharkness. I was having exactly the same problem and deleting Google Maps worked for me as well. I was just about to take my Blackberry back to the shop I got it from but now I won't need to. It's odd, Google Maps worked perfectly on my 8520 and came in handy on more than one occasion - the street view is especially useful if you get lost!
Closed Thread