Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
crestedpigeon

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Curve
Default Can't turn my blackberry on

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I'm having trouble trying to turn on my Blackberry Curve 8520. It just won't switch on at all and I have tried taking out the battery and reinserting it five times and after I do so, the red LED light comes on for about 10-15 seconds, but nothing more happens after that.

I have never had this problem before and I have only had my phone for 5 months. I have done anything to my phone that I think could damage it, I haven't dropped it or anything.
The only thing I can think of is that I hooked up my BB to my PC for the first time today to copy some files to the pc and then copy them over to a different media card on my BB. But it was working fine after that I had switched it on and off about 3 times, I am only getting the problem now.

And help would be appreciated because I don't want my BB to be dead already since I have only gotten it 5 months ago, lol.

EDIT: Hooking the phone up to the charger causes the LED light to come on for about 15 seconds as well, but again, nothing else happens after that.

Last edited by crestedpigeon; 03-04-2011 at 07:57 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Can't turn my blackberry on

Try removing the SD card and see if it will boot.

Do you know if the battery is charged? Try plugging into a wall outlet for a couple hours to let it recharge.

You might also try a new battery.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
crestedpigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Try removing the SD card and see if it will boot.

Do you know if the battery is charged? Try plugging into a wall outlet for a couple hours to let it recharge.

You might also try a new battery.
Tried that, but it didn't do anything.

I have left my BB on the charger and I have just noticed that the BB restart screen is on. =)

I'll update in a few minutes or so to let you know if it works.

Edit: It's come on, but the battery is like dead, lol. The weird thing though was that the battery was about 80% earlier today, I charged it up last night and I have barely used it today.
Also, the LED light is flashing green, does that mean anything?
Hopefully this won't be a a recurring error. How exactly do you get a new battery (in case I do need one) and do you know how much they cost?

Last edited by crestedpigeon; 03-04-2011 at 08:03 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

The battery does not recharge in a few minutes so it may be defective. The green led light indicates a full charge. There are vendors on the forum site that will sell you a new battery. One suggestion is only use an original OEM( Blackberry) battery.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
crestedpigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
The battery does not recharge in a few minutes so it may be defective. The green led light indicates a full charge. There are vendors on the forum site that will sell you a new battery. One suggestion is only use an original OEM( Blackberry) battery.
The LED has never been green before though, even when the battery was fully recharged. The light stopped flashing when the battery gauge got to orange on my phone. I fully charged it up last night (it took about 2 hours to charge) and then switched it off, I switched it on again this morning and it is still 100% charged so I might have left the phone all day yesterday by mistake, but that still doesn't really explain how the battery drained to 0 because it was on standby the whole time if it was on.
I am already only using the original BB battery, but I have always noticed that the battery seems to drain pretty quickly. When I am not using it that much, it takes about 2-3 days before I need to recharge it, and when I am searching the net and playing games on it for a while, it might drain within about 3 or 4 hours.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will get a new battery if the problem happens again.

Last edited by crestedpigeon; 03-05-2011 at 05:10 AM..
Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Keep in mind that with a lithium battery, letting it run down can actually damage it. It is best to keep it plugged in when you can. Smartphones use more battery power anyway because they are capable of so much. But that capability comes at a price.

May this from our FAQ will help: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

-->>Twitter

Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
crestedpigeon

Quote:
Keep in mind that with a lithium battery, letting it run down can actually damage it. It is best to keep it plugged in when you can. Smartphones use more battery power anyway because they are capable of so much. But that capability comes at a price.

May this from our FAQ will help: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ
I didn't let it run down intentionally and I am pretty sure I switched my phone off, but not 100% sure. I'll keep that in mind though, I usually always allow my phone to get down to 30%-20% of battery life before I charge it up again.

Thanks for FAQ, I'll check it out.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

20% or lower can damage the battery if done consistently. Some devices will automatically turn off at 20% of battery for that reason.

-->>Twitter

Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

The green LED only stays on for a few minutes when the charge is complete and if the charger is plugged in. Once it is fully charged the LED will go from gren to off. During the charging the LED will alternate between what appears to be red and yellow. Either way the advice on charging the battery from Dubdub is something that should be followed.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
crestedpigeon

Quote:
20% or lower can damage the battery if done consistently. Some devices will automatically turn off at 20% of battery for that reason.
I'll try to always charge up my BB when it is about 30% or higher then. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
The green LED only stays on for a few minutes when the charge is complete and if the charger is plugged in. Once it is fully charged the LED will go from gren to off. During the charging the LED will alternate between what appears to be red and yellow. Either way the advice on charging the battery from Dubdub is something that should be followed.
I have never noticed any colors flashing on the LED before when charging my BB, the LED has always been off as far as I'm aware, but I don't look at my BB when it is charging, it is always just sitting in my bedroom charging while I'm usually in the living room watching TV, lol.
Still, I have never noticed the LED alternating between red and yellow when charging, like I said, the LED has always been off when charging (unless I get a text or something).
I've read the site that Dubdub posted and I found it very usual so I've bookmarked it for now.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Closed Thread