Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
quackyducks

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default 8800 and tempremental email issues

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

This is my first post so I hope someone can help!

I have recently got a 8800 to use for work (I am a contractor), and set it up to access emails from a domain I have created via 1&1.

All works fine, accept that every couple of days the 8800 stops receiving emails. To solve the problem I have to send an email to myself from the BlackBerry, and hey presto, all the other emails that have not been coming through suddenly appear!

It then works fine for another day or so and then the same happens again.

I would really appreciate anyones thoughts on this as it is causing a lot of problems with delays on important emails.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: 8800 and tempremental email issues

Just to be clear, you are using BIS (not BES) and you set the email address up in BIS?

Are you accessing the 1&1 email inbox any other way, say with an email client such as Outlook on a computer?

What you are observing is consistent and repeatable? The email stops and the only thing that starts the flow again is sending an email to yourself?

How long do you wait before you are sure it has stopped and you send the email to yourself?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
quackyducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Just to be clear, you are using BIS (not BES) and you set the email address up in BIS?

Are you accessing the 1&1 email inbox any other way, say with an email client such as Outlook on a computer?

What you are observing is consistent and repeatable? The email stops and the only thing that starts the flow again is sending an email to yourself?

How long do you wait before you are sure it has stopped and you send the email to yourself?
In answer to your questions, I am not using BES and have setup the email connection directly on the handset.

I am accessing the 1&1 email account via Microsoft Outlook 2010 as well, hence the reason why I notice some emails are not getting through to the BlackBerry.

I cannot repeat when it happens (i.e. emails not coming through to the BlackBerry), only that it happens every day or so, but it ALWAYS sorts itself out if I then send a message to myself.

I have usually waited about 30 minutes before sending an email to myself, and the second I send the email all outstanding emails arrive at once.

Hope this helps as this is causing a few headaches!

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Maybe this from our FAQ will help. Even thought it says Outlook 2003, the same applies for 2010.

Some email comes to my BB and some does not - BlackBerryFAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

A couple things you should be aware of (and some is a repeat of what is in the FAQ ling posted by Dubdub)

First, some BIS email is pushed to the device immediately depending on the email service. Example would be Yahoo and Windows Live, but there are others. My old AT&T Worldnet is now hosted by Yahoo and it is pushed immediately.

In other cases, BIS polls the email inbox periodically, on something like a 15 minute cycle, and it grabs new messages and pushes to the handset. If it is frequently finding new messages it will poll more frequently until it find the inbox empty. That's the way it's supposed to work, and the way things always are, sometimes there are delays.

Now, if you are using a client and it is set to delete messages from the server after retrieval, you may be downloading email before BIS has grabbed it. A solution is to set the client to leave email on the server.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
quackyducks

Thanks for the advice, but I have checked Outlook and it is set to leave messages on the server for 14 days, so this doesn't appear to be the problem.

Interestingly, what you have said aiharkness, does sound about right, in that usually this problem occurs first thing in the morning, and so I would not have received emails for some time. During the day, when I am getting emails on a regular basis, it isn't a problem (once I have "woken" it up by sending an email to myself).

I understand that the 8800 is an older handset. Will a newer one solve any of these issues, or does it still poll the inbox in the same way and so would be now different?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The model (and age) of the BlackBerry doesn't have anything to do with. (But don't let that stop you from getting the latest and greatest if you want!)

If you are turning the device off at night, leave it on and see what happens just as an experiment. I think someone complained about something similar a short while ago, that being that there was a delay in delivery when the device was turned on the morning, where in the past there hadn't been a delay.....At any rate, there's really no reason to turn the device off. Change the profile to silent if you don't want to hear the alerts. Or create a special profile where all but phone (and maybe level 1) are silent.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
quackyducks

Thanks for your help. I'll play around and see whether it improves. The truth is though that I never turn it off at night anyway, so I wonder if it just isn't polling much due to the inbox being empty for prolonged periods.

Last edited by quackyducks; 12-02-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Old 12-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Don't know. It could be several things. You can try re-sending service books, but I doubt that would be the solution to a delay issue. See How do I resend my service books? - BlackBerryFAQ if you want to give it a shot. Another thing to try is to delete the address from BIS and then add it again after a little while, but I also doubt this would help with a delay issue.

If you have several emails set up on the device, a question would be whether just the one is delayed, or all? If just one, then a good guess would be it isn't you or the entire BIS, but something with that individual service. If it hasn't stopped entirely, then my advice is to leave it alone for a day and see if it clears up. After that, you could try deleting and setting up again, and also call the carrier and see if they know anything.
Closed Thread