BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Yellowman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Specific Keys do not work (BB8310)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

My friend has a BB8310 from AT&T. He is having issues with the keyboard, but only on the second row of the QWERTY keyboard, and not all the keys in the second row. For example, the *, f, j and k keys do not work. I have no idea why. He said that the only thing he did do (which of course is likely the issue) was that he used a lysol disinfectant wipe to clean it. I'm pretty sure that the wipes are moist and perhaps some moisture got into it.

After reading the forums, I've tried pulling the battery while the unit was powered on, and then re-inserting it, but that didn't work. There were some other suggestions of embedding it in rice (which I haven't tried) and letting it sit untouched for a few days to ensure it dries. I will let it sit for a few days and see what happens.

Any idea what could cause this issue? I just find it odd that it is only the second row of keys.

Would replacing the keyboard help? Not sure how much that would cost and how easy that would be, but i guess I will read up on that next.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
self-made_tool

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman View Post
Let me know your thoughts.
Despite the deductible, it's times like this that make the extra couple of dollars each month for insurance worthwhile.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
aira177

Model: 8310
Carrier: att/cingular
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made_tool View Post
Despite the deductible, it's times like this that make the extra couple of dollars each month for insurance worthwhile.
yeah, but.. i had insurance on my blackberry for a couple months. then.. i found out att/cingular doesn't even cover blackberries. i called them & they refunded me the months i had paid for.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Moisture is the number one culprit in keyboard malfunction. Even Lysol would be a problem. Pure alcohol maybe but a wipe with a barely cloth at the most!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
kennethmurrell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110

ATT does, they have specific insurance thats different than the other ones.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I did not think that ATT offered insurance for certain phones including Blackberrys. I was told by the sales person that too many people put in claims and it was not offered anymore!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
bbnflpn

Carrier: ATT

yah at does not cover smart phones, with their insurance plan,

however, when i was told this,the guy i talked to said that they would still put it in, since i was not told that they were not covered.

but even if they give you a refund for all the months you paid for it, you can put that toward a new phone,

reguarding your problem, i have had issues with keys not working before, i turned the phone in under warranty, if there is no sign of liquid damage (ie the little things in the phone didnt change color) they will put the phone in under warranty (if you are still with in the limits that is)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Yellowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Moisture is the number one culprit in keyboard malfunction. Even Lysol would be a problem. Pure alcohol maybe but a wipe with a barely cloth at the most!
Thanks for the response everyone. I guess the Lysol wipes destroyed the keyboard. I still find it odd that it is only some of the keys on the second row. I guess I will see if it dries out over the next few days. If that doesn't work, I guess I need to tell my friend it is toast.

I suppose changing the keypad is too cumbersome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnflpn View Post
reguarding your problem, i have had issues with keys not working before, i turned the phone in under warranty, if there is no sign of liquid damage (ie the little things in the phone didnt change color) they will put the phone in under warranty (if you are still with in the limits that is)
Unfortunately my friend does not have insurance on this phone and I don't think he would have a warranty. We live in Canada and I'm not sure where he bought this phone but it is AT&T branded, so he wouldn't have gotten it here. Rogers is our GSM service provider.

Wow ... I guess he has an expensive paperweight.

Let me know if you guys can think of an economical way to revive this. Is there a software keyboard that can be used so that he can use the trackball to select the letter since it doesn't work. That would be pain to use, but at least it would make it functional.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by aira177 View Post
i found out att/cingular doesn't even cover blackberries.
That used to be the case but it's no longer true. All smartphones except for the iPhones are now insurable via at&t.

More Details on AT&Txxx8217;s New Insurance Policy : Boy Genius Report

Still probably not worth it IMO as the BB appears to be considered a Tier 2 device with a $125 deductible.

Last edited by takeshi; 07-15-2008 at 10:23 AM..
Old 07-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

i'm happy i got the warrenty on my phone, i dropped it and the pearl stopped selecting, so they sent me a new one and i got it yesterday and it is perfect.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:56 AM   #11
Yellowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BlackBerry Kid View Post
i'm happy i got the warrenty on my phone, i dropped it and the pearl stopped selecting, so they sent me a new one and i got it yesterday and it is perfect.
Unfortunately, he doesn't have a warranty on it as we are in Canada (and it is a US-based provider phone). Right now it is sitting in the corner, hopefully drying up and will then work later on. I'll give it a couple more days.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
kennethmurrell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I did not think that ATT offered insurance for certain phones including Blackberrys. I was told by the sales person that too many people put in claims and it was not offered anymore!
Well when I bought my blackberry, the ATT salesguy said that there is insurance specifically for the blackberry. Dunno if its true, but I'm paying for it and thats what he told me.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Yellowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman View Post
Unfortunately, he doesn't have a warranty on it as we are in Canada (and it is a US-based provider phone). Right now it is sitting in the corner, hopefully drying up and will then work later on. I'll give it a couple more days.
Just wanted to give you all an update. I tried waiting it out and letting it dry. Also tried putting into a bowl of uncooked rice. It still has issues with specific keys not working. I guess we need to look for someone external to see if they can fix it at a reasonable cost. Perhaps I will start a new post to see if I can find someone.

Thanks everyone.
Closed Thread