Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
macberry12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular now AT&T
Default Data Connection Refused?

Please Login to Remove!

For the past 3 days, I have this message at the top of my 7290 screen that says: Data Connection Refused

If I travel outside of my local area, the message goes away and the unit works like a charm...However, it appears to be cursed locally.

Any advice?

RM
Old 10-31-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
ksatterwhite

Model: 8700g

I noticed this yesterday when I was on my way to the Texans game. I called Tmo and they said there was an issue with Blackberry service. I think there's an issue with Sidekick too, but can't remember. At that time they did not have a time frame for this issue to be resolved. I think it is just the Houston area.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Best thing is report it to your provider (tmo or cingular) They may be having issues and unless someone reports it they may just ignore it.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
maijingotenks

Model: 7510
Carrier: cingular

I'm having a similar problem but it happens when i try to open the browser.
Message is: failure has occured during the negotiation of a secure connection with your wap gateway.
Anybody know what to do ....i have a 7510 just upgraded to os 4 last night as per your post on how to.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
maijingotenks

Model: 7510
Carrier: cingular

by the way i rebooted the twice i just upgraded os didn't realize it boots up so fast
unless that is a problem........after i rebooted i was able to get to a few pages but after that i got the same error message.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
Branko

Model: 7100t

Well if youa re with tmobile, we did have an outage with GPRS two days ago (Nov 1 2005) it has been resolved. If you are still getting the same error message I would recommend calling in to get it resolved.

P.S. When you do call in fro tmobile tech support you'll get customer care first immeidiatly ask for the PDA department and you'll get sent to blackberry support.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8103e
Carrier: Verizon

We have a user here with a verizon wireless 7250 and he's had problems the last few days while roaming in places where his old 65xx model had NO problems.

Everything seems to be working fine, then he looks down, sees a "data connection refused" - reboots it 5 minutes later and it works again.

:shrug: called VZW about it yesterday and they said they fixed it, but he said it happened again this morning.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 AM   #8
stonent

7250 is Verizon
65xx are all Nextel

If he for whatever reason loaded the Telus 7250 firmware on this 7250 he may get kicked off when he roams into EVDO areas since Verizon hasn't officially added the Blackberry 7250 to their EVDO capable list yet.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Ussually there is no "fix" per se for this. What is happening is that the particular area in question has poor coverage. I too have the 7250 from Verizon and have had this happen in just a couple of places, once i move from the area I am fine again. It is not the phone it is not the software, the only fix may eventually be more towers near the poor reception area. At least that is the explanation Verizon themselves gave me, and it seems to hold true since it only happens in those two or three places for me.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
stonent

It could also mean he wandered into an area covered by a regional phone provider that doesn't have a data roaming agreement w/ Verizon.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:59 AM   #11
ChrisHolak

Model: 7250

I seen this error message a few times, and this works for me,
1. Re-activate Blackberry by dialing *22899
2. Scroll to options on the Blackberry and select HOST ROUTING TABLES
3. Select the default table and register
4. Remove and replace battery on the Blackberry device.
If it appears again, call 800-922-0204, verizon data support so they can manually configure the blackberry.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #12
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

^Sorry for lack of updates.

1. I made a mistake - he had the older 6750, not 65xx. The 6750 (according to the user) NEVER experienced this problem, though he says he could possibly link "location" to the "data connection refused."

2. It doesn't affect his ability to make/receive phone calls

3. It does not "fix itself." In other words, if he has it working, is traveling in the car, gets Data connection refused, it will NOT fix itself until he removes the battery and replaces it. "Rebooting" it doesn't work.

4. The dumbass Verizon person appeared to have difficulty when activating it the first time. I believe he did something wrong, or the Verizon software crashed and this thing is only 90% "activated."

5. This thing came from VZW as is - no upgraded firmware or anything on it (Telus or otherwise) AFAIK. (I mean, nobody here did anything to it since it came out of the box)

ChrisHolak - Thanks for the tips- We'll try reactivating it. FWIW, we can also do this trick:

-go into phone
-press ##000000 (takes you to CDMA program edit screen)
-go down to "A-Key" > Password and enter 'vzw' and that sometimes makes it work (this was from a tech support person)

Either way, I'm thinking I'm just going to have tech support do whatever it takes to completely blow away the BB from their system and reprovision it (is that a real word/term?) if you know what I mean. I think the initial setup got botched for some reason.

I'll try and update if we get a fix...
Old 11-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #13
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

FYI - just wanted to update everybody as the problem appears to be fixed.

As suspected, somebody on the VZW end screwed up when setting up the device. The exact wording I got from the tech was, "Somebody accidentally marked it as a BlackBerry High Speed Data device, and it's not... yet..."

Basically, seems like somebody marked it as being EV-DO capable, when, in fact, it may be, it's not right now. What was happening was that it would try and join the EV-DO network (or whatever) and fail, thus, "Data Connection Refused."

They marked it as a plain old BlackBerry with an unlimited data connection, had me reinitialize, reboot, and voila- problem solved. User wrote to me just now and said he hasn't seen a single problem all day, whereas since the moment he got it, it wouldn't last more than an hour before displaying the dreaded "Data Connection Refused."

Bottom line - seems like somebody thought it was time to go live with EV-DO on this device prematurely. FWIW I asked when EV-DO WOULD become available, and they said "maybe next year... Ask RIM- they're the ones holding it up..."
Closed Thread