Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: Mine...
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Tateu,

Amazing... you, my friend, are bad ass!

Love the swipe function!

Last edited by searly; 03-03-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #162
greggray
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanwei View Post
You know the version number didn't change right? You have to look at the time stamp.

You want: "Experimental (2009-03-02 22:08:15 PST) -- BlackBerry Weather Information with WiFi (Storm OS 4.7 or greater)."

With the "(2009-03-02)" being key.
Yes, I know. I'm getting "Experimental (2009-02-28 16:01:48 PST)" from both links.

-Greg
Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #163
Hanwei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggray View Post
Yes, I know. I'm getting "Experimental (2009-02-28 16:01:48 PST)" from both links.

-Greg
Weird. I got that with the first link.. but the second link worked for me.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #164
oriofan8

First link gave me same as I had already...second link worked like a charm. Great app...except for when I try to SAVE changes...won't let me out...have to DISCARD to leave options.

·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Old 03-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #165
tateu

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Amazing. Loving the updates.

tateu, with the newest update, when I'm in the options menu, and after I've made my changes... I hit menu/save... and when I try and hit the back button to return to the conditions page it brings up the "changes made, save/discard/cancel" pop up... if I hit Save again... the pop up disappears... but then if I hit the back button to get out of the menu... or if I hit menu/close... the pop up reappears.

If I already hit menu/save after making any changes... that pop up shouldn't show up right?

[...]

Another thing, when I swipe from left to right, the correct screen shows up next... however it "enters" the screen from right to left. It's not a big deal... but it's just a bit awkward when you swipe from left to right and the screen enters from right to left.
The Save changes popup is a bug. I didn't completely remove the code for the Storm buttons used in a previous release and, when you hit Save, it tries to access some of the code that was removed...and crashes.

I had nothing to do with the screens "entering" from right to left...that just turned out to be what the Storm did with my code, by default. Are there any app screens on the Storm that "enter" from left to right? I didn't see anything in the API about how to set that (I didn't look too deeply, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggray View Post
I tried both links but don't get the new version. I do have a Storm.
If you go to http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php...r_alpha&os=4.7 with your computer browser do you get directed to bbweather_alpha_4.7.jad? Make sure the link has &os=4.7 at the end.

------------------------------------------------

New Storm version up...2009-03-03 09:27:45 PST
This should fix the Options screen "Save" issue and the Storm buttons have been added back in as an available option.

http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php?f=bbweather_alpha

If you were not auto directed to the Storm version from the regular OTA link, you can force it to grab the OS 4.7 version from:

http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php...r_alpha&os=4.7
Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #166
greggray

Nevermind. I got it to work. For some reason when I e-mailed myself the link and opened it up in my gmail browser it did not take me to the correct place. When I typed it in it worked fine.

-Greg
Old 03-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #167
greggray

The swiping is cool but I have to agree with Hanwei that it feels a bit awkward. I'm finding that the swipe direction seems backward. When I swipe towards the side with a button it is the same as pushing that button. It feels to me that when I swipe away from a button it should be pulling that page onto the screen. So:

Current.............................Daily

Swipe ---->

My feeling is that it should pull Current onto the screen.

Current.............................Daily

Swipe <----

Should pull Daily onto the screen.

I also agree that in the former case (swiping ---->) it feels like the screen should come in from the left rather than the right. I've seen applications that do this (e.g. the picture viewing application that comes with the Storm).

-Greg

Last edited by greggray; 03-03-2009 at 01:20 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #168
oriofan8

I LIKE it...good job. Buttons are still available on bottom of option screen.

Thanks !!

·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #169
tateu

Quote:
Another thing, when I swipe from left to right, the correct screen shows up next... however it "enters" the screen from right to left. It's not a big deal... but it's just a bit awkward when you swipe from left to right and the screen enters from right to left.
According to a BlackBerry Development Advisor, I can't control which way a screen "slides" on, atleast not without "inventing" it myself...which is not something I am likely to do.

BlackBerry Support Community Forums - Re: Storm Slide Effects - Java Development - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #170
Hanwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post
According to a BlackBerry Development Advisor, I can't control which way a screen "slides" on, atleast not without "inventing" it myself...which is not something I am likely to do.

BlackBerry Support Community Forums - Re: Storm Slide Effects - Java Development - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
Weird... On all of the native applications I can think of... ie: picture viewer, message inboxes... when you swipe left to right... the previous picture or email/text messages enter from left to right. And likewise, when you swipe right to left, the next picture or email/text message enters from right to left.

So I don't know why that BB Dev Advisor says that you can't control which way the screen slides. All of the native Storm apps seem to be able to.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #171
Hanwei

Quote:
The Save changes popup is a bug. I didn't completely remove the code for the Storm buttons used in a previous release and, when you hit Save, it tries to access some of the code that was removed...and crashes.
Is this something that will be fixed in the next update?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #172
casmer

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Is this something that will be fixed in the next update?
He fixed this already in a couple posts above. Basically, download again from the same link and you should be good to go.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #173
casmer

A comment about the swiping when you have more than one location. Up/Down changes locations, but I found that I was accidentally changing my location when in the Daily Forecast and Hourly Forecast screens just from wanting to scroll through the listings. I found that when I did it faster it happened all the time and if I was careful and slow it wouldn't happen.

I am not often careful and slow when swiping. I wonder what people would think about only being able to change location on the main Conditions screen? Or is this too limiting and I should just control myself? Is there another solution to this?

Thanks for the great product.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #174
tateu

Quote:
Weird... On all of the native applications I can think of... ie: picture viewer, message inboxes... when you swipe left to right... the previous picture or email/text messages enter from left to right. And likewise, when you swipe right to left, the next picture or email/text message enters from right to left.

So I don't know why that BB Dev Advisor says that you can't control which way the screen slides. All of the native Storm apps seem to be able to.
Because native RIM apps have access to all kinds of stuff that 3rd party software does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmer View Post
A comment about the swiping when you have more than one location. Up/Down changes locations, but I found that I was accidentally changing my location when in the Daily Forecast and Hourly Forecast screens just from wanting to scroll through the listings. I found that when I did it faster it happened all the time and if I was careful and slow it wouldn't happen.

I am not often careful and slow when swiping. I wonder what people would think about only being able to change location on the main Conditions screen? Or is this too limiting and I should just control myself? Is there another solution to this?
I wondered if this might be a problem but I don't have a Storm to play with so didn't know if it was a likely scenario.

Two things I can think of for this:

1) Add an option so each user enable/disable the vertical swipe action
2) There is a getSwipeMagnitude() API call which gets the distance in pixels traveled of the actual Swipe. Maybe, by setting that to a high number, only large Swipes would get registered to change the location?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #175
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

tateu, I gotta tell you, this is a great app, updates are great on the Storm.

You don't know how many people I hear from that use this and love the updates.

Thanks.

(radar, one day, one day, I know).
Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #176
Hanwei

Quote:
He fixed this already in a couple posts above. Basically, download again from the same link and you should be good to go.
Ah, thank you. I did not see that!

Quote:
Because native RIM apps have access to all kinds of stuff that 3rd party software does not.
Gotcha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
tateu, I gotta tell you, this is a great app, updates are great on the Storm.

You don't know how many people I hear from that use this and love the updates.

Thanks.
+100000
Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #177
ls1norcal

Things I would like to see. Prettier home screen condition icons (ie weatherbug-esqe). And an option for homescreen text to show current temp, and high/low. For example underneath the icon it would say...

52*F 63/42

Fantastic lightweight app though. Ive been using weatherbug, and although I love the pretty icons, and and radar map, its a resource hog and believed to be a big cause of memory leaks.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #178
casmer

Quote:
I wondered if this might be a problem but I don't have a Storm to play with so didn't know if it was a likely scenario.

Two things I can think of for this:

1) Add an option so each user enable/disable the vertical swipe action
2) There is a getSwipeMagnitude() API call which gets the distance in pixels traveled of the actual Swipe. Maybe, by setting that to a high number, only large Swipes would get registered to change the location?
I like the idea for #1, but I would think you might have to have an on/off for each screen. The Current Conditions screen seems to be small enough that no matter which way (vertical/horizontal) I look at it on Storm it doesn't require scrolling. So here it makes sense to me to switch locations. I would probably turn off "location switching" on the other two screens.

As far as the other two screens where you may have to scroll (more often than not) it may make sense to do more of #2 suggestion. Ultimately, I think #2 is more functional than #1 because it doesn't take anything away from anyone, but how big a swipe are we talking?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #179
tateu

Quote:
but how big a swipe are we talking?
I'm one of those people who likes everything to be user configurable, so the more options the better. I have not tried it yet, but the way I think it works is based on the distance that your finger travels during the Swipe action.

The user options could be something like:

Enable Change Profile: Never, Current Conditions Only, Always
Change Profile Action Distance = 10% - 100%.
Enable Change Screen: Never, Always

If you set it to 50%, you would need to swipe your finger for half the length of the screen to get it to trigger.

But again, I don't have a Storm, and the Swipe action isn't something you can really get a good feel for using a mouse and right button click in the simulator so it's hard to know how well this will work.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #180
casmer

Quote:
I'm one of those people who likes everything to be user configurable, so the more options the better. I have not tried it yet, but the way I think it works is based on the distance that your finger travels during the Swipe action.

The user options could be something like:

Enable Change Profile: Never, Current Conditions Only, Always
Change Profile Action Distance = 10% - 100%.
Enable Change Screen: Never, Always

If you set it to 50%, you would need to swipe your finger for half the length of the screen to get it to trigger.

But again, I don't have a Storm, and the Swipe action isn't something you can really get a good feel for using a mouse and right button click in the simulator so it's hard to know how well this will work.
This sounds pretty good to me. I would be more than happy to test for you and report back, whether initially in this thread or outside of it. Let me know if you want me to do anything for you regarding this. Thanks for all the quick updates.
Closed Thread