Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

ok have it up and running...
Active on startup:checkmarked
Connection type:Auto
Weather Server: Weather.com
GPS Type: Auto + Assisted
GPS Server:Geoplugin.com

and i just changed couple things for home screen is all.. quick question tho Use Custom Icon? means i can change it to what ever i want?

Oh and also dont know if it can be changed? font is hard to read for the temp in the middle like now its the moon i barely see 83...

but its working real good so far im happy

Old 07-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #62
localguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

ok last update was at 8:55 PM PDT its now 9:30PM

opps, thats when i click on my home screen takes me to my town with all the temp info, but on homescreen on rollover its says 9:24 so its working lol

Last edited by localguy; 07-29-2009 at 11:33 PM..
Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #63
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by localguy View Post
ok have it up and running...
Active on startup:checkmarked
Connection type:Auto
Weather Server: Weather.com
GPS Type: Auto + Assisted
GPS Server:Geoplugin.com

and i just changed couple things for home screen is all.. quick question tho Use Custom Icon? means i can change it to what ever i want?

Oh and also dont know if it can be changed? font is hard to read for the temp in the middle like now its the moon i barely see 83...

but its working real good so far im happy
One of Tateu's latest posts has the details... basically, you can use a custom graphic (32x32 GIF or PNG with NO transparency)... stick the file on your memory card... then set the option to YES and hit he menu button there is an option on that menu to select the custom icon.

Last edited by fonejunkie; 07-30-2009 at 12:29 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #64
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
IMO, a better solution would be to use the BlackBerry "standard" for scrolling forward and backward between pages (i.e., <SPACE> and <CAPS><SPACE>, respectively).
Well, on my Pearl the <space> key corresponds to 0, so maybe the original creator of BBweather kept to that convention for scrolling between pages (although the <caps><space> combo doesn't work, at least on my phone).

I was just thinking of the common keys people might be used to from the BB browser and the media apps.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #65
SleepDoc

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Hi,

I'm not a GPS user, but downloaded the newest release to stay current. If I could suggest any particular modifications, I'd really like it if the desktop icon could update itself more often. I have my icon poll set to 30 mins and my forecast poll set to 120 mins - although I'm not sure of the difference. I'd like it though if the icon could update itself every 5 minutes - so that it shows the moon as soon as it gets dark outside. I'd also like the temperature to be more current. Would this be possible?

Also, I've noticed that when I click the icon, the weather page always shows its last update at x:51 (12:51, 3:51, etc.). Is this everyone else's experience too? I'm not sure why mine is always that way.

Please let me know what you think. I'm just a 'real-time' sort of guy and love having apps that are never more than a couple of minutes old in terms of data.

Thanks!!
SleepDoc
Old 08-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #66
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepDoc View Post
Also, I've noticed that when I click the icon, the weather page always shows its last update at x:51 (12:51, 3:51, etc.). Is this everyone else's experience too? I'm not sure why mine is always that way.

SleepDoc
That's when the official weather updates come out. (At least that's the way it was in the aviation world back when I was still aviating.)
Old 08-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #67
SleepDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeek View Post
That's when the official weather updates come out. (At least that's the way it was in the aviation world back when I was still aviating.)
Thanks Jbeek - didn't know that. That's really interesting.

I guess at this point, I'll wait to see if Tateu has a chance to see my post. I imagine it would be very easy to change the settings so that the desktop icon and forecast refresh rates can both be requested more frequently - as often as every 5 minutes (or maybe even every minute). I'd really like that.

SleepDoc
Old 08-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #68
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Thanks Jbeek - didn't know that. That's really interesting.

I guess at this point, I'll wait to see if Tateu has a chance to see my post. I imagine it would be very easy to change the settings so that the desktop icon and forecast refresh rates can both be requested more frequently - as often as every 5 minutes (or maybe even every minute). I'd really like that.

SleepDoc
Not going to happen. Weather.com only updates Current Conditions once every hour so even if I set BBWeather to grab data every 5 minutes, it would end up grabbing the same data over and over. And I believe the forecasts are only updated every couple of hours...or more. The only real situation where I think a shorter update interval would be beneficial is if you were on the move and getting weather based on GPS. I'm still not going to change it, though.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #69
SleepDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post
Not going to happen. Weather.com only updates Current Conditions once every hour so even if I set BBWeather to grab data every 5 minutes, it would end up grabbing the same data over and over. And I believe the forecasts are only updated every couple of hours...or more. The only real situation where I think a shorter update interval would be beneficial is if you were on the move and getting weather based on GPS. I'm still not going to change it, though.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. From what I can tell, the current conditions are updated more often than that (based upon my weather.com yahoo widget), and the forcast at least once an hour. To have an icon on the desktop that's as up-to-date as possible though, the poll frequency has to be very high. Here's why:

Let's say that the site updates current conditions every 30 minutes and the poll frequency is set at 30 minutes. The icon might poll at 12:50, when the site was set to update at 12:51. When this happens, you won't get that updated information on your desktop for anther 29 minutes - because you missed it by a minute.

If the program can poll every 5 minutes though, at least you'll never go more than 4 minutes without having the latest 'available' information. You might not get 'new' information with each poll, but you'll never miss an update by more than 4 minutes.

As often as changes are being made to the program, it would just be nice to have the option. Some folks may wish to leave their poll frequencies at 30 min and 120 min respectively, but I'd love to set mine to 5 min and 5 min.

Thanks again for your time and patience,
SleepDoc
Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #70
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Quote:
From what I can tell, the current conditions are updated more often than that (based upon my weather.com yahoo widget), and the forcast at least once an hour.
It doesn't matter what their "website" does. BBWeather uses their 3rd party XML service which does not provide the same information as the website (for example: the website provides 10 days of forecast, the XML feed now only provides 5). The XML feed for Current Conditions updates once per hour at about 53 minutes past the hour. And some weather data providers specifically ask users not to update data too often to keep server load down. I seem to remember that weather.com was one of those, but I can't find a link for that info and don't feel like spending time searching for it.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #71
Jeepman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: VZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post
Nope, not you. My download script (dl.php) was trying to forward you to a Storm specific version...but I haven't compiled a Storm specific version yet.

I fixed it and the link should work on a Storm, now, but it doesn't have the Storm specific features like the older, non-GPS BBWeather v0.89. I will eventually compile a GPS enabled Storm specific version but I'm not sure when.

ok.. finally found the info I also need. I also have a Storm 9530.. a month old and thought I was going crazy not being able to download it.. I will wait and hold out until it happens.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:29 AM   #72
ItsAllVerbatim
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
The GPS option works with my Verizon 9630 (aka Tour) with OS v4.7.1.40 -- GPS Type is set to Autonomous.

Excellent work as always!
Confirmed: GPS is fully functional, and not locked down or disabled in any way, on the BlackBerry Tour.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #73
themlruts
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Ask
Carrier: T-Mobile

anyone get this to work with there 8130?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #74
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Tateu:

I did some poking around and found these links for WeatherBug animated radar maps/loops. Not sure where you are on adding radar maps to BBWeather, but these may help. These seem to work with ZIP code rather than City/State info, so it may be easier to implement...

Just a thought....

Doppler Radar - Zoomed In
-http://weather-mobile.weatherbug.com/Common/ImgDisplay.aspx?zip=23450&cc=&mt=1&zl=1&mit=0&mit= 0&bmm=1&dw=300

Doppler Radar - Zoomed Out
-http://weather-mobile.weatherbug.com/Common/ImgDisplay.aspx?zip=23450&cc=&mt=1&zl=1&mit=2&mit= 0&bmm=1&dw=300

Satellite Radar
-http://weather-mobile.weatherbug.com/Common/ImgDisplay.aspx?zip=23450&cc=&mt=3&zl=1&mit=2&mit= 0&bmm=1&dw=300

Infrared Satellite Radar
-http://weather-mobile.weatherbug.com/Common/ImgDisplay.aspx?zip=23450&cc=&mt=2&zl=1&mit=2&mit= 6&bmm=1&dw=300
Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #75
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

Thanks, tateu. Works on my Storm as far as locating me and delivering the correct weather. Will see how it updates on the way home tonight. Thanks for the update.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #76
bpdunsta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Thank you. This appears to be working nicely on my 8830.
I get weather for Boston, MA on my Verizon 8830 with GPS Type set to "CDMA"....unfortunately, I am sitting in Chicagoland
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #77
figgypower

Model: 9630

Tateu, thanks for developing such an awesome app! I was able to run the experimental with GPS successfully with the following settings on my Verizon branded Blackberry Tour 9630.

Under profiles:
Location ID:@gps
Description:GPS
everything else default

Under BBWeather Options, initially Auto+Assisted GPS Type didn't work. I tried CMDA and cell site, also did not work. I then tried Autonomous, saved, and then had to wait about a minute. If I clicked/typed around due to impatience, it would fail the update saying something along the lines of location not found and @gpsnull. I then went back to Auto+Assisted GPS Type and this time, for whatever reason, it worked and it updated faster then just Auto.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #78
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdunsta View Post
I get weather for Boston, MA on my Verizon 8830 with GPS Type set to "CDMA"....unfortunately, I am sitting in Chicagoland
Try changing GPS Type to Auto+Assisted
Old 08-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #79
ericksonj

Model: 8800

Works well for me so far. Will be traveling this week, so I'll see how it does as I change locations.

Thanks for this!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #80
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!

I used the app during the week and the @GPS feature worked great.

Landed in Memphis and turned the phone on and the app was locked into Memphis.

Landed in Tampa and same thing - app was on Tampa.

Same thing flying home. The GPS feature worked perfectly!

Once again - Awesome app Tateu!

David

Twitter
Closed Thread