Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZ

Please Login to Remove!

I see from the latest release notes you added:
Quote:
* Added more homescreen text options without date/time

I like the new "Full" but it might be more clear if you called it Temp + Conditions. It took me a few mins to figure out that this was the setting I wanted. Rather than having Full + Time I'd just make that be Full.

WeatherBug is officially removed from my Storm! Thanks so much!

-Greg
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #122
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Exclamation

The development over the past several days is nothing short of amazing!

Another minor bug -- conditions that are on three lines (e.g., "Light Wintry Mix" -- a common one for the northeast ) are truncated (i.e., only two lines plus a bit of the third line are displayed on the forecast pages.

Last edited by visortgw; 02-26-2009 at 11:29 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #123
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggray View Post
I see from the latest release notes you added:

I like the new "Full" but it might be more clear if you called it Temp + Conditions. It took me a few mins to figure out that this was the setting I wanted. Rather than having Full + Time I'd just make that be Full.

WeatherBug is officially removed from my Storm! Thanks so much!

-Greg
I don't see any difference between Full and Full + Time... previously Full would show temp, conditions, shortcut code, update date, update time. Now I can't get that combination to display on the homescreen text.

In fact, the only homescreen text I can get is temp, conditions and shortcut code...

EDIT: It appears that there is something wrong with the way things work when I change an option - the change gets saved in the preferences, but the change is not applied to the application. If I do a battery pull, the changed option is then effective. Bug?

Last edited by fonejunkie; 02-26-2009 at 10:50 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #124
tbhuang2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
THe development over the past several days is nothing short of awesome!

Another minor bug -- conditions that are on three lines (e.g., "Light Wintry Mix" -- a common one for the northeast ) are truncated (i.e., only two lines plus a bit of the third line are displayed on the forecast pages.
Yup. This is what it looks like:

-Threaded SMS
Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #125
greggray

I created a theme that has the weather icon in the banner (actually, it is whatever is in my 5th slot so I keep BBWeather there).

To see how I did it read the thread:

Weather in banner

or here is the important part posted by VeryBold:

Quote:
Full screen banner, render home screen over banner, use device application order. Rearrange your banner indicators and position a homescreen icon in the banner area.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #126
greggray

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
I don't see any difference between Full and Full + Time... previously Full would show temp, conditions, shortcut code, update date, update time. Now I can't get that combination to display on the homescreen text.

In fact, the only homescreen text I can get is temp, conditions and shortcut code...

What am I mssing/doing wrong?
Full for me is just Temp + Conditions. Full + Time is Temp + Conditions + Time + Date.

-Greg
Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #127
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggray View Post
Full for me is just Temp + Conditions. Full + Time is Temp + Conditions + Time + Date.

-Greg
I edited my comment above to explain what I think is happening...

Are you able to change the settings "on the fly"? With the latest release, I have to do a battery pull to make them take effect. I am going to try re-downloading the latest and see if that makes a difference...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #128
tateu

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

fonejunkie,

See if either of these posts help:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...ml#post1300712
http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...ml#post1300851
Old 02-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #129
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post

Tateu:

No, none of the above applies. It worked perfectly up to the last update. My default screen is Current Conditions...

I have tried making changes to two different areas: Homescreen text and the number of days in the forecast for one location.

Changes have always been effective right away, however, now, neither change took affect until I did a battery pull and completely restarted my Curve (8310).
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #130
tateu

I thought the "Current Condtions" screen just had to have been opened atleast once but you actually have to be on the "Current Conditions" screen, enter options, change and save the homescreen icon settings for it to update immediately. Or go to the "Current Conditions" screen after you save the options and do an Update.

A battery pull certainly should not be necessary, exiting and reopening the app is enough to update the icons. I don't have the source code in front of me...but I think this is the way it has always been. I can't think of any changes I have done recently to affect this.

All of the above work on my Bold, though I realize you have a different device, so maybe it really is broken for you.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #131
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
As you noted...there is very little I can do about this. I've also received several requests to have weather alerts and links to radar info. I can only rely on websites that provide free data in XML format based on URL requests using a locationID. Yahoo, Google and the NOAA's National Weather Service also provide this (sort of) but none of them have as much as data as the Weather Channel. I think Yahoo and Google only provide 3-7 day forecasts and neither provide hourly data. The NOAA works from latitude and longitude, not a LocationID (I am actually thinking of trying to incorporate this if I ever get around to adding a GPS location feature). Google works from a zipCode or City Name so is incompatible with BBWeather's current use of a LocationID.

Figuring out how to incorporate one or two of the above (especially the NOAA based on GPS loc) is on my list of things to do...way at the bottom, though.
One more data point: Weather Underground says they provide data in XML format and they support several different kinds of queries (zipcode, city&state, airport code, lat&lon -- apparently no LocationID, though).

More info at this link: API - XML - WunderWiki
Old 02-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #132
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
I thought the "Current Condtions" screen just had to have been opened atleast once but you actually have to be on the "Current Conditions" screen, enter options, change and save the homescreen icon settings for it to update immediately. Or go to the "Current Conditions" screen after you save the options and do an Update.

A battery pull certainly should not be necessary, exiting and reopening the app is enough to update the icons. I don't have the source code in front of me...but I think this is the way it has always been. I can't think of any changes I have done recently to affect this.

All of the above work on my Bold, though I realize you have a different device, so maybe it really is broken for you.
I have a Curve (8310). The behavior that I am seeing since I installed the latest update is definitely different from the way it's been acting. The only field that was acting like this before was the Hourly Forecast option (text +2 and text +3).

For now, I will just configure it the way I want it to act and pull the battery and not worry about it... but it is a bit annoying...
Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #133
tateu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
I have a Curve (8310). The behavior that I am seeing since I installed the latest update is definitely different from the way it's been acting. The only field that was acting like this before was the Hourly Forecast option (text +2 and text +3).

For now, I will just configure it the way I want it to act and pull the battery and not worry about it... but it is a bit annoying...
I don't know what to tell you...I just looked through the source and there is nothing I changed that would cause this. I also just tried it on the 8310 in the simulator and it works as expected.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #134
fonejunkie
Just me

Thanks for looking at it.

I found my problem. I was doing everything correctly except I was not returning to the icon screen after saving the changes. I read that in the thread you pointed me to, but somehow it didn't register in my brain. Sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase.

Last edited by fonejunkie; 02-27-2009 at 01:13 AM..
Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #135
tateu

No problem. It's dumb that it works that way, but I can't find anything in the API to fix it.

I found the "Error - Hourly Forecast Thread: null" bug with the Hourly Screen in "Text Only" view. Thanks. It'll be fixed in the next release (whenever that comes out).

I saw the "uncaught exception (Field added to a manager while it is already parented)" in an earlier release but I thought I fixed it. I guess not, but now I can't find where it is coming from.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #136
Pink2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Has anyone noticed a quick drain on battery?

I have changed the polling on both options to 4 hours, was on 2 hours for home screen and 4 on forecast, and after I changed settings I hit exit and don't reenter it again. I absolutely love this app, but don't understand the battery drain.

I would be happy with an option to change the forecast poll to once a day and would prefer to have the home screen icon update at least every 2 hours but 1 hour would be better if it wasn't for the battery drain.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #137
tateu

If the app is fully closed (not running in the background, meaning you can't see it in your app ribbon) then the forecast poll interval is meaningless. The forecast is only updated if the app is running in the background. As far as the homescreen icon update: with it running once every 30 minutes it can't really be much drain on the battery. It opens, connects to a website, downloads/updates data and then closes and doesn't do anything for another 30 minutes.

What do you consider "a quick drain on battery?" How many hours does it usually take for your battery to drain? 10? 20? 30? And with BBWeather running?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #138
Pink2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
If the app is fully closed (not running in the background, meaning you can't see it in your app ribbon) then the forecast poll interval is meaningless. The forecast is only updated if the app is running in the background. As far as the homescreen icon update: with it running once every 30 minutes it can't really be much drain on the battery. It opens, connects to a website, downloads/updates data and then closes and doesn't do anything for another 30 minutes.

What do you consider "a quick drain on battery?" How many hours does it usually take for your battery to drain? 10? 20? 30? And with BBWeather running?
I do have it fully closed. Before I installed this app I would say I was at 40-60% after 17 hours. I reset my phone at 11pm, it turns off at midnight and back on at 5am. I really wouldn't see the battery missing bars until the afternoon. Now I am at 50% in 6-7 hours. Same usage as far as how much I use the phone and other apps. I am using the build that you did that changed the screens by hitting the space bar. I haven't upgraded since then. Should I?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #139
tateu

Ok, so let's look at it this way...

Without BBWeather:
40-60% after 17 hours, so if you average that to 50%, that's about
2.9% battery drain per hour (= 50% / 17)

With BBWeather:
50% after 6-7 hours, so if you average that to 6.5 hours, that's about
7.7% battery drain per hour (= 50% / 6.5)

So that's attributing about
4.8% battery drain per hour to BBWeather ( = 7.7% - 2.9%).

If you had BBWeather set to update the homescreen every 30 minutes, it would have run twice, that's about
2.4% battery drain every time BBWeather runs (= 4.8% / 2).

I just checked my battery level, it was at 90% (I don't remember exactly when I unplugged it this morning but it's been over 6 hours). I then opened and closed BBWeather 50 times and checked my battery level again. It was still at 90%. That means BBWeather used less than
0.02% battery drain every time it ran (= 1% / 50)

That's miles from the amount you seem to be experiencing. I'm not saying it's impossible. There could be some things I just don't know about or understand that could cause your usage to be more than mine.

And no, battery usage would not be affected, fixed, broken or otherwised changed in the latest release.

Last edited by tateu; 02-27-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Old 02-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #140
greggray

Quote:
As far as the homescreen icon update: with it running once every 30 minutes it can't really be much drain on the battery. It opens, connects to a website, downloads/updates data and ...
I have not had any problems with the battery with BBWeather running.

I have noticed that if I am in a place with bad connectivity I see the unknown icon show up on the home screen instead of the prior weather reading. Does it change the icon to unknown if it can't connect to the weather service? I'd prefer it to use the last reading.

-Greg
Closed Thread