BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
bentrider

Model: 7130c
Carrier: AT&T
Default In defense of SureType...

Please Login to Remove!

I know it seems popular to hate on Blackberry's SureType but I have to say that I actually like it! I've had several Palm OS and Windows CE/Mobile handhelds in the past and bought my 7130c after having a Treo 650 for a year and a half (I left it in a freaking cab!). And I honestly have to say that this is the best data entry system I've had on any handheld. It took me a few days to learn to ignore the suggestions until I'm done with a word but now it's great. I've also been trying to use it when I didn't really have to (sending shorter e-mails while sitting in front of my iMac) just so that it will "learn" faster. Seems to be working. Last night I sent a 150 word e-mail and only had to go back and change three words. Even had someone comment that they were surprised to see the "Sent via Blackberry on the Cingular Network" tag on the bottom of my e-mails. Now that I'm used to SureType I'm sure that I'm typing faster and better than I did on my 650.
http://www.bentrideronline.com
PIN: 2049ea4a
Old 10-05-2006, 06:04 AM   #2
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

an excellent post.

welcome to the forum.

Last edited by penk; 10-05-2006 at 06:09 AM..
Old 10-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
dooks88
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: at&t

i have to agree, i am a fan of suretype. esp. since it shrinks down the form-factor of my 8100.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

I think that some people that don't like suretype did not give them selfxxx8217;s time to get use to it or time for the bb to learn more words. I'm a huge fan of suretypexxx8230;.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
bentrider

Carrier: AT&T

My wife is considering a 7130c so I've been letting her practice with mine. She had a hard time until I got her to stop looking at the screen as she typed. Works much better if you just proofread every couple of sentences.
http://www.bentrideronline.com
PIN: 2049ea4a
Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Milkman
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Can't stand Suretype, OR the Seminoles....

If I am going to use Suretype, I may as well just get a smartphone.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
Can't stand Suretype, OR the Seminoles....
Uh oh. Lookout Milk, dooks might find the college football thread......

For the record, love the full keyboard. I type a lot of emails and that's what I'm used to.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

When I went to a 7100 from a 7230 I thought suretype was the dogs nuts, and when I moved to an 8700 I suddenly realised how much it sucked. From that moment onwards I hated suretype and was a firm full qwerty device user. When the Pearl was announced I though "no way am I looking at that" and then the other day we got some Pearls in, and because I have to test it with the BES IT policies I have to have one. So I'm thinking "I'll just have to get on with it for a few days and then I can go back to my 8700" and I'm amazed how well I'm getting on with it. Maybe it's because suretype has been updated, but I'm now finding it a lot more accurate!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
kiralaura

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

This is being typed verbatim from my suretype keyboard with no corrections. I have been using my blackberry for 3 weeks now and this hasn't improved very much. This is requiring much more correcting than I anticipated.

That was what I typed in my BlackBerry 7130c and this is how it came out:

This is bring typed veenstim from my aurettoe krynosed with bo correctiona. U have been iaing my blackberet for 3 werks now and this gaan't improved very mich. This is requieung mich môre voervying thab u anticiosted.
Sent via BlackBerry from Cingular Wireless

Is this normal? I don't know if it's every going to learn to write for me without correcting 90% of the words... I always correct the words before I go to the next one, but it's aggravating to have to go back to the beginning and erase 10 letters because it didn't guess the first letter right. I'm quick to learn and want to use this keyboard to it's best ability, but when does it happen that this guesses correctly most of the time? It's putting in words that don't even exist...as if I really meant to say iaing instead of using? What's up with that?
Old 10-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
patrickh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-mo

Definitely not normal. I tried typing this in Pearl's notepad and it's 100% correct. Not a single mistake or correction required (Except I hit the wrong button once).

Did you installed a different language set into your BB? What you are showing doesn't make sense at all.

Check your options->Languages and options->CustomWordList settings

- P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiralaura
This is being typed verbatim from my suretype keyboard with no corrections. I have been using my blackberry for 3 weeks now and this hasn't improved very much. This is requiring much more correcting than I anticipated.

That was what I typed in my BlackBerry 7130c and this is how it came out:

This is bring typed veenstim from my aurettoe krynosed with bo correctiona. U have been iaing my blackberet for 3 werks now and this gaan't improved very mich. This is requieung mich môre voervying thab u anticiosted.
Sent via BlackBerry from Cingular Wireless

Is this normal? I don't know if it's every going to learn to write for me without correcting 90% of the words... I always correct the words before I go to the next one, but it's aggravating to have to go back to the beginning and erase 10 letters because it didn't guess the first letter right. I'm quick to learn and want to use this keyboard to it's best ability, but when does it happen that this guesses correctly most of the time? It's putting in words that don't even exist...as if I really meant to say iaing instead of using? What's up with that?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
secrecyguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I don't like SureType but I got used to it now. I rather have a full keyboard though.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #12
kiralaura

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Thanks Patrickh! This is super weird, but I just discovered that I was using input language Afrikaans! How strange is that!! I changed it to US English and the same paragraph came out perfect...I'm so glad you told me something I could use.

Thanks again,
Kira
Closed Thread