Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
NYNurse

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question 8310 Spyware question

Please Login to Remove!

I need to know if I have done everything within my power to make my phone as hackproof as possible. On Tuesday I went into my bluetooth config to change a setting & as usual the phone began to search for devices.

Guess what? one my my nurse coworkers names popped up.

We never speak & I don't know why he would try to connect to my fone to spy on me. We don't even work side by side; 2 diff departments. Have never had any run ins or exchanged cross words & hes not even friendly. I kinda wigged out.

I looked on the internet and found the other spyware message & responses in this forum. (I was going to put the link here but the forum won't let me post the URL because I only have 4 posts.)

I have read on spyphoneguy.com that only 2 apps can spy on BB and both require access to the phone to download the software. I did not leave my BB out for more than say 10-30 minutes where ppl can get to it and it hasn't had the internet on it to download anything for many, many months. Without the internet they could not download flexispy.

I did the security suggestions and tried to secure my phone but I dont think like these folks so I need insight as to if I can do more. So far this is what i have done.

*I assigned a password to my phone. It did not have one.
*Put my bluetooth in non-discoverable mode.
*I rarely use my bluetooth so it stays disabled 99% of the time.
*Turned Firewall on
*General content protection is enabled except for Address now
*I called my provider and had call conferencing turned off
*Here are the applications on my phone. Do any sound suspicious? (I dont think so but I am so cautious right now)
5 BB apps (4.2 core applications, 4.2 system software, attachment service, Messenger, sample video)
Brickbreaker
Browser
Help
Memopad
Password Keeper
Phone
TTY Support
Tasks

I looked but did not see where to make my Applications prompt for a password.

Thank you.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

If your phone is password protected no one can access it to install any spyware unless they were to guess your password. If you don't have a BlackBerry data plan, you don't have internet access or email, so no one could send you an attachment to download spyware or no one could download something from the web. You have Bluetooth in non-disoverable mode so you are safe there.

Sounds like you are safe as long as your password is not easy for someone to guess.

Regarding applications, if your device is password protected, no one can access your apps unless they guess your password.

Last edited by daphne; 01-07-2010 at 08:56 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If you turned B/T on, you might be seeing his device if he/she had B/T on also.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: Ball Wizard
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
If you turned B/T on, you might be seeing his device if he/she had B/T on also.
This sounds like what happened. I don't think it was anything malicious, his phone was just in range when your phone was scanning for Bluetooth devices. There isn't anything he could do with it like this. I once paired a new luetooth headset at an an at&t store in a mall. I picked up every phone in the store and then some. It was kind of funny. I also paired once with a friends bluetooth in a restaurant to transfer a file and picked up several other phones. It was interesting to see the names some people call themselves or their phone.

I wouldn't be concerned. Hope this puts you at ease.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
arieltf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Also, just because you see the other devices on your phone doesn't mean they are connected/paired to your device.

They can't download/upload any apps or files to your BB without you physically accepting the transfer request.

--Ariel
Closed Thread