Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
dtmfjunkie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: Rogers
Default Cingular Warranty Question

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know if Cingular will acknowledge warranty if device is bought out-right with no Cingular service or contract?

I'm thinking of picking one up tomorrow and unlocking for Rogers service, but want to make sure I'm covered if something happens to device.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
Dude

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmfjunkie
Does anyone know if Cingular will acknowledge warranty if device is bought out-right with no Cingular service or contract?

I'm thinking of picking one up tomorrow and unlocking for Rogers service, but want to make sure I'm covered if something happens to device.
I was told today by a Cingular rep that warranty is void as soon as a device is unlocked. This was just one rep, but her statement warrants further research.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
andrej770
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmfjunkie

Would they even know. I'd just call up and ask to add your new BB8800 to your account. They should ask for the particulars then add the phone to the account. I would add equipment protection at that point (most carriers will allow you to when you initially add a new device or within a certain amount of time immediately after purchasing it or activating it). From that point if you lose your device, then you pay the deductible and YOUR provider gives you a new one even though you did not buy it from them.

Jus tmy .02 cents.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
wangta01

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrej770
I would add equipment protection at that point (most carriers will allow you to when you initially add a new device or within a certain amount of time immediately after purchasing it or activating it). From that point if you lose your device, then you pay the deductible and YOUR provider gives you a new one even though you did not buy it from them.

Jus tmy .02 cents.
I don't think cingular has protection for blackberries, do they?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

A) Cingular doesn't offer insurance on smart phones. There's a whole list of phones not covered by their monthly insurance. Don't pay for it, or you'll...uh...pay for it.

B) Unlocking does not void anything.

C) Cingular is not likely to help you much if you're not their customer. RIM might if there's a warranty issue, but I doubt Cingular will feel obligated.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:03 AM   #6
andrej770
Thumbs Must Hurt

I might be wrong but it seemed like the question was:

If I buy the phone from Cingular without a contract, do they offer a warranty. The answer is no! Secondly it was mentioned that the phone would be FOR Rogers. Hence I suggested that they call up their provider (Rogers) and just activate the phone as usual and get equipment protection if they offer it.

Just a point of clarification.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
wangta01

Quote:
If I buy the phone from Cingular without a contract, do they offer a warranty. The answer is no!
What? How is this possible?

Lets just say hypothetically - I broke my blackberry, 2 months after warranty expired. I am now phoneless. So what are my options from Cingular's perspective - I have to buy another phone! Why would i do this if I didn't get the typical warranty that goes along with buying a new product?

I find this to be so irrational that it can't be true...but then again, this is Cingular we're talking about....AIGOO!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 AM   #8
andrej770
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01
What? How is this possible?

Lets just say hypothetically - I broke my blackberry, 2 months after warranty expired. I am now phoneless. So what are my options from Cingular's perspective - I have to buy another phone! Why would i do this if I didn't get the typical warranty that goes along with buying a new product?

I find this to be so irrational that it can't be true...but then again, this is Cingular we're talking about....AIGOO!
Yes! You would have to buy another phone! You don't have a 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty here. - Change that expectation! If you did not buy it from the retailer and they offer a warranty and/or your cell provider does not provide equipment protection, you are SOL (simply out of luck). You can put it on your personal property insurance, but is it worth the deductible if you lose it? I am on T-Mobile and they DO have equipment protection plans for their Smartphones. If you lose or break it, you pay a deductible and they send you another new or refurbished model. But it has to be a model they offer and support. You can use any GSM phone with t-mobile, but they will only put equipment protection plans on the same phones THEY SALE and are typically T-mobile branded phones.

Last edited by andrej770; 02-21-2007 at 02:17 AM..
Old 02-21-2007, 02:19 AM   #9
wangta01

Quote:
Yes! You would have to buy another phone! You don't have a 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty here. - Change that expectation! If you did not buy it from the retailer and they offer a warranty and/or your cell provider does not provide equipment protection, you are SOL (simply out of luck). You can put it on your personal property insurance, but is it worth the deductible if you lose it? I am on T-Mobile and they DO have equipment protection plans for their Smartphones. If you lose or break it, you pay a deductible and they send you another new or refurbished model.
? I think we're getting confused. The original question posed by this thread - if I were to buy an 8800c tomorrow (my 8700 broke - i am phoneless), will i get the typical 1-year warranty for it if i buy it outright, WITHOUT a 2-year or 1-year contract (IE: Retail for $499)? Someone mentioned above that no, there is NO warranty for ANY phone purchased WITHOUT a contract!

hence my question - why would i feel secure buying another phone from cingular for retail (since I cannot buy another contract, i still have 10 months left on my 2 year) if they don't come with a warranty!?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 AM   #10
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

Quote:
? I think we're getting confused. The original question posed by this thread - if I were to buy an 8800c tomorrow (my 8700 broke - i am phoneless), will i get the typical 1-year warranty for it if i buy it outright, WITHOUT a 2-year or 1-year contract (IE: Retail for $499)? Someone mentioned above that no, there is NO warranty for ANY phone purchased WITHOUT a contract!

hence my question - why would i feel secure buying another phone from cingular for retail (since I cannot buy another contract, i still have 10 months left on my 2 year) if they don't come with a warranty!?
Here is a trick I used today seeing I still had 10 months left also. Verizon offers the company I work for 20% off on monthly plans, Cingular does not. I called and told them I was thinking about cancelling my contract. She went throguh her whole script and I said well that doesnt work. i said could you give me the upgrade price on the new 8800? She said If I did would you stay with us? i said yes. She said hold on let me note your account. Simple as that. took about 15 minutes.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 AM   #11
wangta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBuckeye
Here is a trick I used today seeing I still had 10 months left also. Verizon offers the company I work for 20% off on monthly plans, Cingular does not. I called and told them I was thinking about cancelling my contract. She went throguh her whole script and I said well that doesnt work. i said could you give me the upgrade price on the new 8800? She said If I did would you stay with us? i said yes. She said hold on let me note your account. Simple as that. took about 15 minutes.
Wow - you struck quite the deal. I did call them when my phone originally broke and asked if I could terminate my contract - they said I could but I'd have to pay a hefty termination fee, which didn't seem to make sense to me. I'm guessing she mentioned that to you? How did you manage to convince her that the termination fee wouldn't stop you from leaving?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:46 AM   #12
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

She just said early termination fees do apply. Anybody can do this, just tell them you are thinking about switching companies.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #13
andrej770
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Direct from the horse:

---------------------------------------------
QUESTION:
How do I replace a broken phone?

What do I do if my phone is damaged?
What is my warranty?

ANSWER:
If your phone is broken or damaged, here are the options for replacing it:

If you have had your phone for less than 30 days, please visit the following topic: What should I do if I have a problem with my equipment and I have had it less than 30 days?

If you believe your phone is damaged and you've owned it between 30 and 365 days, you may be eligible for our warranty Exchange by Mail program*. Please visit the following topic: How do I replace my phone*** under the warranty exchange program?

If your phone is no longer under warranty and you have Wireless Phone Insurance**, you should contact Asurion 1-888-562-8662 to file a claim.
If your phone is not under warranty and you do not have phone insurance, you may be eligible for an upgrade.

------------------------------

Note all of these are under the assumption you have Cingular Service and bought the device from Cingular.

*Only available to Cingular Service Customers (according to CSR)
**Which you can only participate in if you have Cingular Service Customer (according to CSR)
***Device must have been purchased from Cingular Online or A Cingular Retail location. (according to CSR)
Old 02-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #14
kalikidtx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Wait lemme see if I have what you all are saying correctly. If I buy a Blackberry or any phone from Cingular I should receive the year warranty, REGARDLESS of a contract. As long as I buy the phone new, from an authorized retailer I do receive a year warranty on it. Cingular cannot give you a warranty ONLY if you are under contract, that is illegal. So, in my opinion, YES you would have a year warranty either way contract or no contract, locked or unlocked. BUT Cingular defineitly does not offer any insurance on a Blackberry, UNLESS......I will leave that answer for another form. I may be wrong, but I doubt it....
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #15
stinkyfeet
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 24273b23....which blackberry will i have next???
Carrier: ATT Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I was told today by a Cingular rep that warranty is void as soon as a device is unlocked. This was just one rep, but her statement warrants further research.

this is true, if you unlock the phone then the warranty is voided. but not sure if that's sumthing they check. also you have to be a cingular customer to go thru cingular warranty exchange. they will ask for you mobile number and if u don't have a cingular one then u might have to go thru blackberry or ur own service provide may swap it out for u. but if its like cingular then they would send u a totally different phone
Old 02-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #16
stinkyfeet

Quote:
I don't think cingular has protection for blackberries, do they?
no asurion does not support the blackberry or any pda devices as of yet. there new policy is you have 30 days of purchase to get insurance on a device is covered. if on the 31 day they decided to cover those phones then sorry out of luck unless they change the policy
Old 02-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #17
stinkyfeet

okay to my best understanding its this.
1. if you buy a phone and u are not a cingular customer then u would have to go thru the manufactural to get the device warranty because they give the device a 1 yr warranty. cingular will not help you if your not a customer i believe. they have the XBM as a service for cingular customers.
2. if you are a customer then you have the option of going thru warranty exchange from cingular. every device we sell has a 1 yr warranty again from the manufacture, so cingular provides you with that warranty. the first thing they ask is what is your mobile number and they go from there.

so to answer the question "Does anyone know if Cingular will acknowledge warranty if device is bought out-right with no Cingular service or contract?"

it depends if you have service. in your case no since u have rogers.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
gsmps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Wedge

Unlocking by code does not void the warranty. Never has, never will. RIM would not design their phones to have an unlocking procedure if it did

RIM backs the device for a full year regardless of whether you are using it with Cingular or not. They have a nice little area on their website that covers this.

My point: Just enjoy your brand spanking new 8800!
Closed Thread