BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Default eGrips for the Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Was doing some searching to find a way to hold my blackberry in my car, preferably without the use of a vent holder, or cupholder-holder. I stumbled across what's called eGrips on the web. Claims to be able to hold onto anything it touches. Looking at this product, and compairing it to a mat a co-worker has in his car, it looks to be the same thing. Which means you can put your BB on your dashboard and it shouldn't slide around....unless of course you take corners at 90 mph everywhere you go ;)

Here's the link. I have ordered 2 sets for my 7280, one as a backup, or other application I feel it may be used. I will do a review on them once I get them, pending noone else already has tried them, if so, do tell!

http://www.egrips.com/catalog/advanc..._description=1

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 09-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
christiancrowe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion. The only downside I can see, is that it might not fit in your holster after you install them.

Let us know,

7510 PIN# 4001E100
Old 09-09-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

I use this to hold a cdplayer in my car - Works really well.

To hold by BB - I use velcro - I have the nextel and the back is too curved for the eGrip to hold the BB well. The soft side of the velcro is on the device and the hooked side in on the car.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wonder if these would protect at all against small falls and drops? How thick is the material?
Old 09-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Just got the eGrips in the mail yesterday. After noticing we had a coupon for eaccess, I kick myself in the bum for not using that and saving myself 5 cents (yep I will scrounge to save even 5 cents). In any event, on to wait we've been waiting for, the review!

Upon opening the box, the eGrips came in a nice package, I was expecting them in a plastic baggie to be honest. The packaging was blisterpacked.

After opening the packaging, I slid the kit out. The grips are about the thickness of a credit card, a nice semi-cushy feel to them. The instructions included were wonderful, not that it takes rocket science to know where to stick them. 1 on each side, and the main one on the battery door.

I put them on last night as soon as I got them, I tried to put the blackberry in the clip, and it does still fit, it's a very tight fit, but feels more secure then previous. Getting the device out of the plastic clip takes a bit more effort however.

I put the device to the test last night, and especially today. After peeling the backing off the pads, I stuck them to the blackberry. I took the blackberry and let my cat have fun with it on the kitchen floor, which is laminate. The cat had a very hard time moving the device around on the floor (thank goodness he's declawed ha!). After the cat gave up, I tried to push it around myself with my foot, I could get it to move, but it "skipped" across the floor as I pushed, rather then a smooth glide as before. That told me they hold nicely.

On the ride to work this morning, again I put them to the test. I placed the blackberry on the dashboard of my 99 mercury sable. I was expecting it to slide around, after the kitchen test, I don't know why, but I did. The entire ride into the work, the device did not move once. It stayed right where I put it without any problems. I put a tiny strip from the other set I bought (oh, and apperently when you buy two from the above link, you get one free! yay a free set to destroy), I put on the Bluetooth adapter for my BT200 headset, it doesn't have much weight to it, so it did slide around a bit, but not enough to be a concern.

Impact resistance I wouldn't trust, it's credit card thin, it's a foamy-rubber feel to it, much like you'd find in a dr scholls shoe insert, if you will. Impact protection I don't think would do a thing, other then causing it not to slide around after droped.

All in all, I highly recommend this product to anyone who has the need to mount the device anywhere, without installation of a mount.

Great protection against sliding around, held good to the dashboard.

Poor protection against drops

Mediocre protection against scuffs, this thing will get punctured and end up tearing up.

Out of 5 stars, I give them a full 5. It was as advertised, it does it's job to keep it in place, and was a snap to stick on the blackberry. Hardest part of installation was getting them stuck on straight to look good.

[url]htt
Old 09-11-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
JesseRPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Great review! Thanks
Old 09-12-2004, 02:33 PM   #7
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650

I wonder if the adhesive would damage the surface its stuck to after a while?
Old 09-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #8
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Doesn't seem like it, it's not 3m, so it's not a semi-perm type, I can peel it off if I need to, it leaves VERY little residue behind when I lift a corner, but resticks on just fine and holds. It's not a super strong hold, but holds enough to withstand everyday HEAVY use. So far anyway ;)

[url]htt
Old 09-12-2004, 06:51 PM   #9
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650

Good to know....i may have to resort to that if i cant find the case i want (looking for a holster that i can flip the BB around in and have the LCD visible)...
Old 09-13-2004, 01:29 AM   #10
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

I bet it'd still fit great in the leather case with those as well seeing as they are thin...

Hmm, I might have to try one! Do they have one that will fit the extended life battery? for a 7510 of course. =)
Old 09-13-2004, 11:19 AM   #11
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

They should fit with an extended battery, I don't see why not. They're just stickies, three pieces, two on the sides, one on the back battery door.

[url]htt
Old 09-13-2004, 02:05 PM   #12
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Can you take a picture of how they fit on the BB? The only concern is that the battery cover for the extended battery is not the same as the standard, it sticks out a bit and if the grip is made to go over the whole cover it may not fit right.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #13
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Unfortunatly I can't grab a pic :( digi cam not working at the moment, battery decided to go on strike. I'll explain the best I can:

Bettery Cover outside lines, egrips, inside lines:

---------------------------------------------------
| |
| |
| |----------------------------| |
| | | |
| | | |
| |----------------------------| |
| |
---------------------------------------------------

Not the prettiest, but hopefully you understand a bit what it reflects lol. It is EASY to cut with scissors, so it can always be trimmed to size.

[url]htt
Old 09-13-2004, 03:05 PM   #14
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Ahhh, okay, so it doesn't cover the whole back, it just covers a strip of the cover... Okay, that makes much more sense and then it wouldn't matter what kind of battery cover you had...

Nice....
Old 09-13-2004, 03:54 PM   #15
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

You got it it's about 1.5" x 2.5" there-about.

[url]htt
Old 11-15-2005, 05:49 AM   #16
ncorrieri

Model: 8703e
Carrier: sprint

goth - do these help from the BB popping out of your hands when typing 1 handed (i drop mine 5x a day because of that)
Old 11-15-2005, 05:50 AM   #17
ncorrieri

Model: 8703e
Carrier: sprint

btw - any1 tried these vs the glove case thingies?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:08 AM   #18
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I used them they are great but peel off after a few months of going in and out of the holster
Old 11-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #19
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

I bought eGrips at RadioShack and it is really good to get a handle on your wild BB. It is nice looking and stylish but I can see that it is in peely mood after 2 months so I might have to put another one.
Closed Thread