Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
gluck75
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: t
Default BES for Individuals

Please Login to Remove!

I have been noticing ad's from companies like "link2exchange" for a while now, and Im interested, but have some questions...

I currently have a 7230 from T-Mobile but I think Im going to jump up to a 7250 from Verizon(by the way, if anybody knows of a good deal for this one let me know). I use a service called "runbox" for my email and right now I just have a copy forwarded to my [email address] account. Runbox has forwading, POP, IMAP, everything you can think imagine.

1) if I want to use one the BES companies, what would this cost? Are there seperate charges for both setting up my email account with them AND the BES service?

2) I don't use Outlook now because since I can't automatically SYNC my berry and desktop without being home, it's useless to me. This feature is very attractive to me. If I make a changes on the "Calender" or "contacts" on my berry, will it automatically show up on my outlook at home??? If I change it on outlook, will it change on my berry?

3) Are these services very easy to set up?

4) Since I don't have "outlook" on the berry, how does the berry calender and outlook SYNC? Can somebody explain this to me?

Im sorry if some of these are "Newby" questions. Thanks for all of your help in advance. Hopefully I will be able to help you out someday.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

1) $10-20/mo extra; most likely no extra setup or Exchange fees

2) Wireless synchronization of the Calendar, Address Book, Tasks, etc are all features of BES 4.0. Be sure your BES hosting provider is on 4.0.

3) Yes.

4) To make it easier on yourself, you must have Outlook in order to have these funtionality. You can likely alternatively use a 3rd party Exchange client, however, I do not think its supported and it won't necessarily work properly.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
gluck75
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: t

You mean have outlook on my berry or my desktop? I have it on my PC, but never use it.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Desktop.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:11 AM   #5
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

You can do this without ever touching the desktop. I just did it using a MAC and entourage 2004. It took most of the day, because I got confused by link2exchange's web page.

I'm syncing OTA from my 7100g to entourage. I just put outlook up on the windoze partition of my laptop for the hell of it. Life is much easier if you do that first, but if you don't have a windoze machine, it'll all work. The important thing is to install the VPN application the MAC and connect before you even think of configuring entourage.

Setting up entourage requires a little guesswork, and I don't fully understand what I did. I love the OTA calendar sync. This'll save me a lot of pain. MDS for the things I was using TCP/IP for will save me a few (or several) calls to Cinglar about my bill.

I'm still figuring out if I want to do mail on BWC or BES. BES can't pull my imap mail, so I''ll have to get it forwarded if I'm to use BES.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:25 AM   #6
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

All of the BES providers I looked into charge $50 to setup the account. MyBlueberry.us is the cheapest, however I have not been impressed so far and I am unable to use the account. - In their defense support is being helpful, but have not given me the information I need.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
buttbutt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cing

I recently got the myblueberry to give it a try. So far I like it. The mail->bberry is pretty quick. The connect times from home outlook to their stuff is rather slow though at times and often gets disconnected for short periods (notice the popups that outlook generates). I can basically live with that, it just isn't the quickest thing in the world from a desktop perspective.

I don't have them host my mail. I just have my mail server set to forward a copy to my @myblueberry.com address, the instructions with them aren't all that clear/helpful, but I think I was up and running in about 10 minutes and this was kicking off at 11p edt. I don't know how things will be effected if you have to set your mx records to them though. The other services (link2 and mailstreet) seem to have that fairly clearly worded in their sales pages (and I don't remember it so well at myblueberry).
Closed Thread