Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Holz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default international question...

Please Login to Remove!

hey guys... so, i'm going to be in england and italy for 10 days. after browsing the forum and the ATT website, i'm just wondering if it's worth it to switch to an int'l BB plan for 10 days, or just suck it up and pay the roaming? i don't plan on using my BB that much, but i'm wondering if i'll rack up absurd data charges just by having it on?

thanks!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

You can't switch to the International Plan for only 10 days.
I believe AT&T will require you to sign a 1 year contract for that plan.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Holz
Thumbs Must Hurt

ahh.. gotcha! thx for the quick response!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
GadgetGuru72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
You can't switch to the International Plan for only 10 days.
I believe AT&T will require you to sign a 1 year contract for that plan.
This is not correct. My wife and I spend 2 weeks in France every summer, and AT&T has always allowed me to get the Int'l Plan for one month. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. If you're going to spend more than one year in another country, you'd just buy a cell phone in that country. The Int'l plans are designed for short term use.

It's definitely worth it. You get 25GB of data for $25, and calls are $1/minute. While that's not enough data to go crazy, it's certainly enough to get all your emails and do some light browsing. Trust me, you don't want to pay Int'l roaming fees.

Last edited by GadgetGuru72; 06-05-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Old 06-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGuru72 View Post
This is not correct. My wife and I spend 2 weeks in France every summer, and AT&T has always allowed me to get the Int'l Plan for one month. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.
Oh?
When's the last time you called AT&T to add the Int'l plan?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Oh?
When's the last time you called AT&T to add the Int'l plan?
Summer '07.

I suppose it's possible that they've changed their policy since then, but as I mentioned requiring a 1-year contract for an Int'l plan makes absolutely no sense. These plans are designed for short term travel.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
requiring a 1-year contract for an Int'l plan makes absolutely no sense. These plans are designed for short term travel.
Actually it makes perfect sense for the carrier, and it pissed off a lot of people that they chose to do it.
Too many users were adding the plan short term. AT&T can capture much more revenue by locking them into a contractual term.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Terms and Conditions | AT&T
^^^^^
Take a look here, a little more than halfway down in the BLACKBERRY ENTERPRISE AND BLACKBERRY INTERNATIONAL section, it reads:

"BlackBerry International requires a minimum one-year agreement and you must remain on eligible BlackBerry International plan for a minimum one-year term."

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-05-2008 at 01:40 PM..
Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Holz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
^^^^^
Take a look here, a little more than halfway down in the BLACKBERRY ENTERPRISE AND BLACKBERRY INTERNATIONAL section, it reads:

"BlackBerry International requires a minimum one-year agreement and you must remain on eligible BlackBerry International plan for a minimum one-year term."
wow, thx for the tip. yeah, i might just turn data services off and just check my email on my computer if needed.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
^^^^^

I haven't been this pissed off in a looooooooooooong time. The second I saw your post I jumped on the phone with AT&T.

It turns out that you're right. The "BlackBerry International" plan is $64.99/month, and requires a 1-year commitment.

This amount INCLUDES the amount you're paying for domestic data. My current BES fee is $44.99/month. So, adding the international package is an additional $20/month. Over the course of 1 year, that's an additional $240.

I only spend 2 weeks in France every year, so that $240 works out to $20 EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!

The only alternative is 2 cents per kilobyte, with no term commitment. However, that works out to $20.48 per MB, which will work out to about the same amount.

This is beyond RIDICULOUS!!!

I need to take a walk and cool off.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am going to have to check Sprint and see if they are doing the same thing. They didn't in the past, but.....

In one of my other lives I do some research on factors that can cause severe customer aliennation, and this has the potential to be one of those issues.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
I am going to have to check Sprint and see if they are doing the same thing. They didn't in the past, but.....

In one of my other lives I do some research on factors that can cause severe customer aliennation, and this has the potential to be one of those issues.
Please let me know what Sprint's plan is.

If anybody has T-Mobile or Verizon, please let me know their plans as well.

I am out of contract with AT&T, and would gladly consider switching companies if somebody has a better plan.

Since you research factors that can cause severe customer alienation, let me confirm that THIS is one of those factors. Requiring customers to pay for international data for an entire year is the most absurd thing I've ever heard with respect to phone plans.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:

I am out of contract with AT&T, and would gladly consider switching companies if somebody has a better plan.

Since you research factors that can cause severe customer alienation, let me confirm that THIS is one of those factors. Requiring customers to pay for international data for an entire year is the most absurd thing I've ever heard with respect to phone plans.
Verizon only has one international plan, and also only 1 BlackBerry device that will function overseas. The device is the 8830 World Edition, and the "global data plan" for it is $64.99 per month. Same as AT&T and I do believe it's also a minimum 1 yr. commitment.

I don't know about any other carriers.

My company only uses AT&T and Verizon. Most of our frequent travelers use AT&T.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
lrdiaz

Model: 9900
Thumbs up

Quote:

TMO does allow temporary BB Intl data. You can select it from their web site, and is $19.99 per month. It gets prorated if used less than 1 month.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:

Sprint does still have flexibility with this -- you can sign up for just a month if you like. However, your only device is the 8830. It has worked fine for me, but others are not fond of the product.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #16
Kazmi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

It's wierd that I actually have some useful info to share!

I'm on verizon and my wife's on AT&T. Both have BBs (mine's the 8830 and her's is the 8800). I have had VZW for a year and a half and have unlimited data, she's had hers since Jan 08. We had to travel to Dubai in Feb 08 and we wanted to do exactly what the OP stated. With VZW, I had NO issues - the rep did not say that I needed to sign up for a yr's contract and I was infact only going for 16 days - she asked me and I confirmed, so my international $64.99 plan came active on the 1st of Feb and I got back late, on the 21st and changed back to the regular $44.99 plan...

With my wife, they did say the same thing about the one yr extension and I told him how VZW was able to do it - he then said he would be able to activate it for a month only...which he did and it worked as we decided upon.

So from my experience, it is possible!
Closed Thread