Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Our policy sets the firewall to prompt for access to the GPS

I think that is the issue....

Even if you allow through the application permissions the firewall still needs a prompt and I think that is what is shutting down the app prematurely...

I'm giving up as well.

Thanks for everyones input.....

Last edited by Blackberry Guru; 11-21-2007 at 05:33 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #362
ssbands04
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjg View Post
I would like an answer to this as well......
won't work wtih anything but VZNavigator (which has a fugly icon btw)

and (that's for now until someone gets it to work with other stuff)
Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #363
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry Guru View Post
Our policy sets the firewall to prompt for access to the GPS

I think that is the issue....

Even if you allow through the application permissions the firewall still needs a prompt and I think that is what is shutting down the app prematurely...

I'm giving up as well.

Thanks for everyones input.....
Are you referring to you BES policy? Is that something that can be modified or changed? We are a small compnay and I'm sure I can have my BES admin change that.

It seems so odd to me that Verizon would release this with these kind of widespread issues. This feels like an alpha version...
Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #364
Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyo View Post
Are you referring to you BES policy? Is that something that can be modified or changed? We are a small compnay and I'm sure I can have my BES admin change that.

It seems so odd to me that Verizon would release this with these kind of widespread issues. This feels like an alpha version...
Sure your IT can send a blank policy which will allow you to change these settings.

Under options/firewall my only options are prompt/deny for gps due to the locked firewall bes policy.

I don't think this software is set-up to work with anything else but allow....

This is my best guess.......I'm no expert....but I've had all the serious issues everyone else is having....
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #365
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 304CEA0A

I am driving to Connecticut tonight from Maryland, I will give VZnav a true testing of it's abilities.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #366
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

I posted this in the other thread but it probably belongs here:

Today I spent over 2 hours with advanced data support and never could get vznav going on my device. The issue is that the two permissions cannot be changed from deny - Browser filtering and keystroke injection. We tried everything on my device and never could get it to work. I am doing a javaload wipe and reload now.

I did try it on a very new 8830 (bought yesterday) that did not have any 3rd party apps on it. I updated it to .176. provisioned the account for VZnav, downloaded the software and then went and set the vznav permissions. We were able to set the above two permissions to allow, unlike my 8830.
After we did this Vznav worked on the first try!

So I think the key will be to figure out why those two permissions can't be set on some devices.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #367
arosenbe

Well, at least I'm not the only one having the exact same problem. I've done all the right things, but still can't change those two "permissions" to allow. Tech support is totally bewildered. If ANYONE with the same problem finds a solution, PLEASE post it here--there's a lot of us with the three second tease of a green slash screen, followed by disappointment.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #368
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The reason you can't set those two permissions is due to IT policy. Your BES restricts it. You'll have to talk to your BES Admin about opening up those for VZ Nav.

If you are not on a BES then your device probably has leftover policy from an old BES.

The ONLY way to open those up is to have the BES Admin do it. NO other way. Sorry folks.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #369
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The reason you can't set those two permissions is due to IT policy. Your BES restricts it. You'll have to talk to your BES Admin about opening up those for VZ Nav.

If you are not on a BES then your device probably has leftover policy from an old BES.

The ONLY way to open those up is to have the BES Admin do it. NO other way. Sorry folks.
I understand what you are saying, but then why did it work with my newer 8830? It was on the same BES for about 5 days. It would have the same IT policy. I upgraded it to .176, downloaded VZnav and was able to set those permissions.

My partner is our BES admin. Do you know how or where to change those permissions or what they are called?

Last edited by rudyo; 11-21-2007 at 10:25 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #370
John Clark
BBF Moderator

They have to set up a new IT policy for you. You can try this method and see if it will allow you to change it:

Go to Options >Advanced Options >Applications. Click on the VZ Nav App. Then click menu and select "Edit Permissions." See if you can change the keystroke injection there. If not, it's definitely locked down by IT policy.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 PM   #371
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
They have to set up a new IT policy for you. You can try this method and see if it will allow you to change it:

Go to Options >Advanced Options >Applications. Click on the VZ Nav App. Then click menu and select "Edit Permissions." See if you can change the keystroke injection there. If not, it's definitely locked down by IT policy.
I just tried it once again, and I can't change it on my device, but I can change it on another 8830. They are both on the same BES server at this point. Everything seems to be identical with them, other than different users and cell numbers... (obviously)

I am baffled as to why I can make the change on the new 8830 and not the other.

So what new IT policy do we need to set up?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #372
fusky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

So a blank IT policy should work, correct?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #373
lrdiaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900

I am in Aruba, downloaded the app w/o issues. Since I am roaming on GSM decided to use gps puck and it works! I have not added the navigator option to my acct since unable to activate on vzw site.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #374
ofelas

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Does the VZNAV work in Aruba? I thought it was CONUS only...
Old 11-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #375
lrdiaz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

With puck
Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #376
lrdiaz

I think roaming on GSM-GPRS is not feasible. Way too slow... Perhaps with GSM-EDGE, but I do not think the device is EDGE capable. When I type in my Houston home address it displays fairly quick, but zooming to city level for Orajenstad, Aruba takes forever. Oh well! it was fun for a while.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #377
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdiaz View Post
I think roaming on GSM-GPRS is not feasible. Way too slow... Perhaps with GSM-EDGE, but I do not think the device is EDGE capable. When I type in my Houston home address it displays fairly quick, but zooming to city level for Orajenstad, Aruba takes forever. Oh well! it was fun for a while.
The 8830 is GSM capable and EDGE works great for GPS and mapping with a bluetooth puck. However, the 8830 only uses GSM outside of the US and Canada. It doesn't have the proper frequencies for GSM inside the US and Canada.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #378
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Quote:
The 8830 is GSM capable and EDGE works great for GPS and mapping with a bluetooth puck. However, the 8830 only uses GSM outside of the US and Canada. It doesn't have the proper frequencies for GSM inside the US and Canada.
Rumor also has it that the GPS chipset is controlled by the Qualcomm CDMA chipset and when it flips over to GSM the internal GPS doesn't work anymore. Either way, VZNav is useless outside of the US.... if not useless inside the US as well based on recent "reliability" issues with it. I have seen it in action and I personally think it blows when compared to TelNav or even other free options. It's a poor replacement for all the other great programs out there.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #379
lrdiaz

Quote:
As previously stated, I am outside the US/Canada, Aruba to be exact, and roaming on some network without name (363-2). Using VZW Navigator with GPS Puck, and I do not think they have EDGE, because it is painfully slow, and not really useable.

Last edited by lrdiaz; 11-22-2007 at 01:41 PM..
Old 11-23-2007, 12:28 AM   #380
Oneless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusky View Post
So a blank IT policy should work, correct?
No, it does not. I am the BES Admin for my firm and I have sent my 8830 a blank policy per RIM's suggestion and it had no impact on the problem. Also, there is no specific policy on my BES that locks down these two items. I have gone through them one by one trying to fix this issue. I am sure you could write a custom policy to do it but there are no such policies on my BES.
Closed Thread