Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #41
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 3279CD26
Carrier: Verizon
Question Re: Bold 9650 OS 6 thoughts?

Please Login to Remove!

Bumping this if I may, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Jennifer
Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #42
PJD642
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A
Default Re: Bold 9650 OS 6 thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCatLady1 View Post
Off topic for a sec: WOW, that log-in issue about blew my mind. Thought I was going crazy. OK, back to this topic. I was unsure about it at first, but I played with it and I definitely like it. My question is this. I got an email from Verizon about the upgrade. I clicked on it thinking it was updating the Desktop Software. So I haven't installed anything on the computer and did notice that during the installation it indicated drivers hadn't been installed properly. So long story short, do I need to install an update on the computer?

Thanks!
Wow - I'm assuming you're referring to an OTA update for your phone from Verizon? Personal opinion, but I refuse to do OTA updates - they take too long and never seem to go correctly for me.

I'd suggest you download either this latest leak (6.0.0.466), or the Verizon "official" release (6.0.0.415). Links are at the top of the "Beta" page and this page, respectively. Double click and install which ever one you choose to your PC, then follow the directions on the "Beta" page to navigate to where it installed (C:program files/common files/RIM/App Loader, I think) and delete the "Vendor.xml" file. Plug your phone into the PC via the USB cable, and click on the "Loader.exe" icon in the same folder where you deleted the vendor.xml file. Takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. DO NOT unplug your phone when the bar seems to hang about 3/4 of the way across your phone's screen during installation - that step takes a while.

Back up your phone first, and it never hurts to keep a list of your license keys for any apps you may have purchased in case you have to re-activate them.

Hope this was what you were asking about.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #43
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi!

Not sure what OTA stands for? (blonde moment), but yes it was an email from Verizon with a link to the update. My phone now says it's 6.0 Bundle 1741 (v6.0.0.431 Platform 4.4.0.315) I was just afraid if I connected my phone it would indicate an unknown device and lock up my USB ports (been there done that). So I don't need to undone what I've done, just do the step you describe? Thanks SO much for the help!

Jennifer
Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #44
rudyo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I just received a new 9650 running 6.0.0.431. I moved everything over from a 9650 that had been running OS5 and started using it today.

Having been a seasoned BB used continuously since my first 7250, generally I am very open and excited about trying a new OS and discovering all the new things, but I am having some really trouble with OS 6, man this thing is really rough. Not sure how it made it to official release.

Some of my issues:

1) Battery life: I am running it side by side with the 9650 and the battery life is 1/3 to 1/2 worse. I realize it is hard to use both devices the same, but even just sitting there the OS6 will go down 20% when the OS5 will go down 10%.

2) Lagging: Even when nothing but the core apps are running, the hourglass will spin intermittently when in messages or BBM. Moving through the screens it seem like something is consuming the processor and causing lags. It is the same right after a reboot. Maybe this is what is causing the battery drain.

3) Sounds: Where did all the core sounds go? Maybe it is just the default theme, but they got rid of the standard phone ringer (replaced it with a "remixed" version) and also the alarm. I see a ton of funky named sounds (evolving revelation, assured, vital etc) I don't mind them adding new sounds, but couldn't they keep the standard sounds?

If you browse to "all alerts" you see more sounds (but not the standards) but you can't easily listen to them by leaving them selected for a second. You have to hit the menu and play them. This is a real pain.

4) The camera app has some nice features. When you are taking a pic you have icons at the bottom to allow you to turn the flash on or off, change scene modes. This is VERY helpful, but unfortunately this same innovation didn't make it to the other camera screens. After you have taken a pic and have it on the screen, the bottom has 2 options, take another pic or delete it...nothing else! They could have easily fit 4 more icons there. To send that pic, you have to hit the menu button and scroll to "send" Even the old version had "send to" on the right bottom without hitting the menu.

5) Mnemonics: They really messed with the ability to pick settings using mnemonics. Yes "O" still gets you into options (once you have found where to turn off home screen dialing) but from there mnemonics don't work at all. The entire options section is a real mess. Do we really need a description under "Date and Time" that says "change time zones?" The descriptions are a horrible waste of screen real estate.
I get that they have categorized it, but it sure feels messy and unorganized somehow.

6) Pictures: Where did the option go to move a picture to another folder? It doesn't exist, well at least after spending 45 minutes looking for it today I have come to the conclusion it doesn't exist. How are we supposed to move photos around?

So now I have to decide to either wait to see if some of these get fixed (which typically has been a futile effort) or downgrade. The poor battery life is going to be a real boat anchor. I already carry a spare battery and unless this improves I doubt I could get 1/2 a day on a busy day. Business users will hate this.

I'll give it a few more days, but this OS isn't going to earn any awards for usability. I see glimpses of innovation, and then other areas where it is just useless minutia.

To be honest, I expect more of RIM. They take so long to bring real innovation to the market that the expectation is very high. This OS really misses the mark and it isn't going to do anything to help curb the exodus to Apple and Android...IMHO.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #45
PJD642

rudyo - http://mobile.blackberry.com/resourc...0x360_03_b.jad

That's the link to download all the original ring tones. I agree they could have left them in the new OS. They had room for that stupid intro video, but not the ring tones everyone had set on their devices?

Txcatlady - OTA is "over the air". Sorry 'bout that. Go to the "beta you than me" page and download the new OS here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta...0-0-466-a.html

Then follow the instructions for installing the new OS like I said earlier. Install the new OS to your computer, go to c:/program files/common files/RIM/app loader and delete the vendor.xml file, plug your BB into the PC via USB cable, and double click on "loader.exe" in the same folder where you deleted the vendor file.

It will back up your BB, install the new OS, and reinstall your apps. You don't need to do it through desktop manager (in my experience that is), although some people recommend it. There is a very detailed step-by-step "How-to" here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...-xml-file.html

Hope that helps. In a nutshell, download the new OS to your PC, delete the vendor.xml file, plug in the BB and click "loader.exe", and wait 45 minutes. Do a reboot or two and enjoy the new OS goodness.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #46
TxCatLady1
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, thanks. I have enjoyed the version I have now 6.0 Bundle 1741 (v6.0.0.431 Platform 4.4.0.315) Not sure what all the fuss is about, I like all the new changes, it has a new look to it and I like it. I'll work on this over the weekend when I have more time. I always get nervous during the rebooting phases lol.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #47
allwx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: storm
Carrier: verizon

I recently migrated from a Storm2 to a Bold. I like most things about OS6. There are very few glitches compared to the Storm, and almost no lag at all. This is the phone I should have gotten instead of the Storm.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #48
HRom
Thumbs Must Hurt

My two biggest issues are the battery life and the delays with when trying to do something with the little clock showing up. This one seems to drain the battery really quickly and I cannot even make it through the day.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #49
abiodun

Model: 9000
Carrier: 02 uk

Upgrading from bold1 to bold2
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #50
fobrob
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyo View Post

6) Pictures: Where did the option go to move a picture to another folder? It doesn't exist, well at least after spending 45 minutes looking for it today I have come to the conclusion it doesn't exist. How are we supposed to move photos around?
If you go into media folder and then to pictures, highlight the thumbnail of the picture you wish to move, then menu -> Move to Folder -> select which folder you want. You have the option to create a new folder as well.

I do have to agree with the battery life. I'm not too sure if I started using the phone less or it's the new battery, but my battery life has increased slightly, but definitely not as much as OS5

Also realized that you can press menu while in the Media folder and go down to explore and move files around using that.

Last edited by fobrob; 02-20-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #51
PJD642

I actually downgraded from .466 to .443. I was getting the "draft sms" bug, although I didn't experience the missing cursor in BBM bug others reported. Browser is still upgraded, battery life is good, no major issues that I've discovered so far - no real diff from .466, except (like I said) without those two bugs.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #52
msilano

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

OK. This is going to be somewhat of a rant.

Just moved from a 9700/OS6/ATT to a 9650/OS6/Verizon.

First off, am very happy that I can now make phone calls. ATT and I just didn't get along in NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco. Have had the VZ BlackBerry for all of 3 days now and haven't dropped a call. Am very happy about this.

Am significantly less happy with OS6.

On both the 9700 and the 9650, OS6 just feels half-baked. Frequent pauses/clocks, slow performance, and just overall poor performance. I'm reverting back to OS5 on the 9650 in the hopes of having both a workable phone and a data device.

Is it just me?

-mike
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #53
sbcnslt

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_denver View Post
The Wi-Fi networks connect to the device, but when trying to pull an actual page 2 error messages show:

unable to locate requested server

unable to connect to internet if problem persistes contact provider

"provider" (VZW) is clueless as usual.

If I turn off the Wi-Fi, internet works fine (on the VZW 3G signal), but I need Wi-Fi inside the buildings because signal is too weak.

Also... VZW does not allow the blackberry "Wi-Fi Preferred" menu option in the connections menu. VZW techs argue that no thing exists. But the same model phone on another carrier has that feature and its easy to find tech blogs that instruct the user to use this feature.

VZW also does not allow Wi-Fi calling.

As for the apps... I have had 4 different apps fail since the change from OS5 to OS6. And the craters of the apps have no immediate plans for new versions of the apps.
Had same problem. VZW had me reprogram *228 and everything works now.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #54
sbcnslt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyo View Post
I just received a new 9650 running 6.0.0.431. I
5) Mnemonics: They really messed with the ability to pick settings using mnemonics. Yes "O" still gets you into options (once you have found where to turn off home screen dialing) but from there mnemonics don't work at all. The entire options section is a real mess. Do we really need a description under "Date and Time" that says "change time zones?" The descriptions are a horrible waste of screen real estate.
I get that they have categorized it, but it sure feels messy and unorganized somehow.
"once you have found where to turn off home screen dialing"

Where is this option. I've been searching for it for 2 days.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #55
sbcnslt

Found it. Menu>Options>Launch By Typing> Select Applications Shortcuts
Closed Thread