No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Default Sync your music to your Blackberry media card

Please Login to Remove!

Microsoft Pro Photo Downloads

Synctoy from Microsoft

Users initially need to create a “folder pair” that represents the two folders ("left" and "right" folders) to be compared and synchronized. These folders can be on the local drive, on an external device such as a flash drive or camera, or on a network share from another computer. SyncToy supports UNC paths. It provides a Browse option to find the folder or network share, or users can type it in directly. SyncToy offers two safeguards to ensure that the user does not lose files permanently when they are deemed unnecessary during a sync. Firstly, a user can preview what is going to happen when the sync takes place, without actually changing anything; secondly, any deleted files are moved to the Recycle Bin.

SyncToy defines five different types of operations to synchronize two folders: Synchronize, Echo, Subscribe, Contribute, and Combine. A Synchronize operation takes the two folders and makes sure they have the exact same files. To do this, SyncToy may copy files in either direction and may delete or rename files in either folder. The Echo operation looks for changes (new files, renames, deletes) in the left folder and makes them in the right folder (one-way sync). A Contribute option is like an Echo, but it does not delete any files on the right folder that may have been deleted on the left folder. With Subscribe, the two folders are examined to see what files they have in common. If either the left or right side has updated these common files, only those files are synchronized. Any of the other files in the folders are untouched. Finally, the Combine operation just copies new files in both directions, without deleting anything. SyncToy doesn’t consider a renamed file to be new, so it is possible to have the same file under different names on the left and right folder after they have been combined.

If users obtain unexpected results it may be that copying the address of a folder from Windows Explorer into the boxes for folder pair creation needs to be terminated by a black-slash (\), otherwise the final subfolder will be ignored and the operations performed over possibly many more subfolders than intended. The user manual is highly ambiguous in places, and there is much uncertainty about the actual logic applied, so there is no substitute for experiments on copies of folders to ensure intended outcomes. Part of the uncertainty for the novice user derives from the fact that the actual logical description depends upon the status obtained through previous history of use of the SyncToy tool. Three of the five operations ignore files which have not been created or changed since the last operation. This includes ignoring old files which may never have been backed up. The preview before operation feature is useful, but again the information is incomplete and ambiguous.

So far i am really liking this it keeps my music up to date and I am using mu ipod less and less
Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Thanks for the info and link. It sounds interesting. Just the other day after upgrading to the new 8830 OS, I needed to reformat my 8gig SD card from 4gigs back to 8gigs. But before I did that I wanted to make sure my computer's backup version and the SD card were in sync with both containing the same files. Some of the mp3 files on the BB had been tweaked to get album art which was missing so my BB/computer files were not identical.

Sounds as if this tool would have helped.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

yes its pretty cool I just did mine and its fast too
Old 06-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Ooo... that sounds cool. As soon as I get an SD card, I'm going to try it. Thanks Dawg!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I use synctoy to back up data from one HD to another on my computer automatically each night. Like many of the powertoys, a nice little app.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

well I am still loving it for my music and pictures no complaints what so ever
Closed Thread