Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile UK
Default Best UK 3G network?

Please Login to Remove!

Getting ready for the big decision when the BB Bold eventually appears.....Which network should I go for?

Which operator has the best 3G coverage? Are there other factors to consider?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
DJBoozy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: ifone
PIN: no more, Imessage :(
Carrier: Orange UK Business

There are a number of factors here, when choosing a 3G network;

Example: - as no 3G network covers 100% of the UK, you need to pick one that at least has coverage in your area - so be sure to check all the major networks 3G coverage maps.

also, speed is another factor - orange have good 3G coverage, but there maximum top speed is 384k/sec - which me and the Mrs learnt the hardway, with her 3G card..

I personally, think Vodafone, have the best 3G network around in the UK, as they use HSDPA - a sort of 3G+ if you like - in some parts of the UK, they claim you can get speeds upto 7MB - this appears to be mostly London. - but everywhere in the UK, you get around about 1.8mb/sec.

I'm not sure about O2 and t-mobile (one2no-one) 3G coverage, as there isnt any where i live...

and the less said about Hutch 3G UK the better ;)
Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The best network, no matter where you are, is the one that has the coverage when and where YOU use it.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
dmacd

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBoozy View Post
There are a number of factors here, when choosing a 3G network;

Example: - as no 3G network covers 100% of the UK, you need to pick one that at least has coverage in your area - so be sure to check all the major networks 3G coverage maps.

also, speed is another factor - orange have good 3G coverage, but there maximum top speed is 384k/sec - which me and the Mrs learnt the hardway, with her 3G card..

I personally, think Vodafone, have the best 3G network around in the UK, as they use HSDPA - a sort of 3G+ if you like - in some parts of the UK, they claim you can get speeds upto 7MB - this appears to be mostly London. - but everywhere in the UK, you get around about 1.8mb/sec.

I'm not sure about O2 and t-mobile (one2no-one) 3G coverage, as there isnt any where i live...

and the less said about Hutch 3G UK the better ;)
Is Orange's 3G top speed of 384k/sec their maximum speed nationally or only in your area? If so I might also consider dropping them in favor of Vodafone.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Insurgent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
The best network, no matter where you are, is the one that has the coverage when and where YOU use it.
The 3G service availability in your area should be available to check online on the desired network/carrier's website. If not then surely phoning them direct, they should be able to give you an idea of their coverage in your area.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Does the Bold support HSDPA anyway? A number of UK operators support HSDPA these days, by the way (including T-Mobile who it seems you're with at the moment). And T-Mobile and 3 are joining coverage so you should benefit from better coverage overall on either of those networks.

I agree. If the coverage is good where you work and at home, you think the network is good. If it's bad there, you think the network is bad overall. And that can happen on *any* network.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
Boldboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2

I think most of the UK operators 3G offering was patchy but it's getting better. As previously said, go for the best in your area as this is where you're likely to spend most time. I'd disagree about 3 as when I was with them, I always had a good 3G service. The only thing that let them down was their customer service.

As for the other operators, it has to be remembered that they lagged behind in their 3G investment due to the GSM legacy networks they already had in place. It's only recently that they are really promoting them, hence the mobile broadband offering that have all been heavily pushing.

Still, we can all look forward to 4G when it hits the airwaves - 20 to 100mb download
speeds. We'll look back at what we have now and wonder how we survived!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile UK
Default Thanks everyone

Thanks to all who replied. I am much better informed now. But FOUR-G?? I just got my head around 3G!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
DJBoozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
Is Orange's 3G top speed of 384k/sec their maximum speed nationally or only in your area? If so I might also consider dropping them in favor of Vodafone.
its my understanding, that Orange doesnt have an HSDPA data network, there maximim for data, is the same as Standard 3G - ie - 384k/sec

they are entering into a network share with Vodafone, so in the not to distant future, the 2 companys will share networks.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Snownation
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 21058D73

Orange are crap... They don't even have EDGE in 70% of London.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 AM   #11
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownation View Post
Orange are crap... They don't even have EDGE in 70% of London.
Quite true. I have never had edge in London with my BB! And as DJBoozy says, they don't have HSDPA either. They seem to be the slowest network in the UK!

Time to move to another network! Probably Vodafone.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
DJBoozy

i'm only staying with them, coz the Mrs is 6 months into her 18, and beacuse of the free magic number calls, if we were both to term, Vodafone with Vodafone Family would suit us ;)
Old 08-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
DJBoozy

Having Said that, i take back what i said about orange's HSDPA network...

Orange press office

04/08/2008 09:00
STRONGER, BETTER, FASTER - ORANGE IMPROVES 3G NETWORK PERFORMANCE IN NORTH EAST ENGLAND, NORTHERN IRELAND AND SCOTLAND

xxx8226; Major future proof network investment in the regions
xxx8226; Improved 3G voice and data coverage

London, 04th August 2008 xxx8211; Orange today announced it will be transforming its 3G network across Scotland, Northern Ireland and North-East England. The improved 3G network infrastructure will bring faster and even more reliable voice and data services to the different locations.

The enhanced network in Scotland, Northern Ireland and North-East England will enable Orange customers, living, working or travelling across these areas to experience faster 3G data service. Further enhancements include:

· More reliable combined voice and data service

· 99% call set-up success rate

· Faster variant of 3G/HSDPA will be rolled out and will support mobile broadband in the very near future

The Orange 3G network includes cities and towns, as well as major roads, rail routes, business parks, conference centres, hotels and airports. 3G access is really important to Orange and its customers as more and more people rely on both voice and data communications while out and about for work or pleasure.

xxx8220;A robust and reliable network is at the heart of everything we do at Orange and we are dedicated to ensuring our customers in each and every region of the UK feel the benefit of this. We are investing heavily to improve our network and this investment is one step closer to our goal of becoming the best UK network for coverage and reliability by 2009,xxx8221; said Peter Marsden, vice president IT & Networks.

Orange 2G/3G and HSDPA network need to knows:

· Orange has the largest integrated 3G/2.5G network in the UK covering 99% of the UK population

· Orange invests over £1million every working day to develop the network

· Orange will be installing over 450 new 2G and 3G sites over the next 12 months to ensure customers can make calls, send texts and access mobile broadband

· Orange is working towards its 3G/HSDPA network speed targets of up to 7.2Mbps in the top 30 UK cities; 2Mbps for 80% of entire UK population and will start rolling out a staggering 14.4Mbps by the end of 2009

While the 3G network improvement takes place any vital downtime in each of the regions will be fully communicated to all customers well in advance. The 2G network will still be available throughout the process and the changes will have limited affect on 2G access or voice calls. Orange network engineers will be hard at work to ensure there is minimum disruption to customers and once complete, customers will not have to do a thing apart from enjoy an even better 3G service from Orange.

Ends -

Notes to Editors:

About Orange

Orange is a key brand of the France Telecom Group, providing mobile, broadband, fixed, business and entertainment services across Europe. It is one of the world's leading telecommunications operators with more than 170 million customers on five continents.

In June, 2006, Orange became the single brand for mobile, broadband and multi-play offers. In addition, Orange Business Services became the new banner for business communications solutions. Orange Business Services is present in 166 countries with network reach in 220.

In the UK, Orange provides high quality GSM coverage to 99% of the UK population. At the end of December 2007, Orange had over 16.8 million customers in the UK xxx8211; 15.6 million active mobile customers and nearly 1.14 million broadband customers.

Orange and any other Orange product or service names included in this material are trade marks of Orange Personal Communications Services Limited.

Further information about Orange and France Telecom can be found on the Orange website at Orange UK Home Page or the France Telecom website at welcome to orange.com

For further information, call the Orange press office on 0870 373 1500 or email: [email address]

For more information contact:

Orange UK Press Office
t:0870 373 1500
e: [email address]
Closed Thread