BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
johnnyrichter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: <Status<Options
Carrier: Verizon
Default Using my Alltel 8130 as a modem.

Please Login to Remove!

Did some searching and couldn't quite find the answer to my question.

I've been using my Alltel 8130 as a modem for my PC & laptop for some time now...works great. All I needed to buy was a bluetooth usb kit(IVT Corporation USB Bluetooth adapater + BlueSoleil software) from RadioShack for $39.99. I run the software, bind my computer to my phone, then dial-up to the alltel data network. Speeds vary on reception...here at home my DL rate averages 16kbps due to poor signal(2-3 bars 1X).

Anyways...I was wondering if there was a way to configure my phone as a modem through USB cable instead of through bluetooth. I've got USB 2.0 and I would imagine the internet connection could possibly be a bit more reliable and faster via USB connection. Is this possible, and if so, how do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Phone = Alltel Blackberry Pearl 8130 + data plan
PC & Laptop = Windows XP Pro SP2 + desktop manager v4.3
Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Phranc

Are you using the QuickLink software from here? Alltel QuickLink Mobile Download
If so, just connect your phone by USB and run the setup wizard. If not, download the software, install and follow the setup.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
johnnyrichter

Thanks, downloading now.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Phranc

Switching between BT and USB is sort of a pita. You have to run the wizard to switch between the types of connection. It won't always use the correct connection if the last connect was, say BT, and now you want to use USB.

You should decided which method you prefer. Speeds on BT are at the most about 380k. On USB i can get upwards of 1m, even when the phone signal level is less than optimal.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
kennethmurrell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

If you go to wal mart, you can get that bluetooth software and adapter for only $20, and it works great. Save ya some money
Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
johnnyrichter

I have QuickLink and the BT stuff installed...I can switch back and forth easily. It's just a matter of closing software, and opening the other software.

So far...I've noticed no difference using QuickLink. I've tested my up/down bandwidth, as well as my actual down/up rates...exactly the same. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Now if only alltel would upgrade the nearest tower to 1XEV, I'd be set. I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Phranc

If you don't have 1XEV, then you won't get max speeds. In the Quicklink console there is a "statistics" option. This will bring up a window you can monitor you data flow and max speeds.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
thackstonns
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

Okay here is how to do it. You dont need the quick link mobile software. set up a dial up account on the pc. The username is your phone number @alltel.net. (4025551515@alltel.net) the password is alltel, and the number you want to dial is #777. You will need device manager up and running in the background. That will get you dsl speeds instead of dialup speeds. Now onto the $10 tether, you can tether without it on the account. since blackberry uses a sip address they cant tell if the blackberry is using the data or that it is tethered, however saying that I would spend the 10 bucks just to be sure. You can do the bluetooth as a dun setting through device manager i believe.
Hope this helps. Of course If you are on alltel i assume you have a data plan with alltel. So there you go.

Oh one more thing Speeds will be faster through usb vs. bluetooth. The reason is that bluetooth is like 1Mbps down (i believe) and you have overhead and signal degredation. Also go to the modem properties and set the speed all the way up. It automatically limits you to a serial connection speed. So raising that up will help also.

Last edited by thackstonns; 07-21-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
Jreneking
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel/Verizon

Johnny, i am so glad you posted this. i have followed the directions in the FAQ in the past, but i couldn't get my 8130 to tether. I'm going to try this method when i get home this evening and see if i can get it to connect.

I'll be following this thread very closely!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
82DMC12

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by thackstonns View Post
Okay here is how to do it. You dont need the quick link mobile software. set up a dial up account on the pc. The username is your phone number @alltel.net. (4025551515@alltel.net) the password is alltel, and the number you want to dial is #777. You will need device manager up and running in the background. That will get you dsl speeds instead of dialup speeds. Now onto the $10 tether, you can tether without it on the account. since blackberry uses a sip address they cant tell if the blackberry is using the data or that it is tethered, however saying that I would spend the 10 bucks just to be sure. You can do the bluetooth as a dun setting through device manager i believe.
Hope this helps. Of course If you are on alltel i assume you have a data plan with alltel. So there you go.

Oh one more thing Speeds will be faster through usb vs. bluetooth. The reason is that bluetooth is like 1Mbps down (i believe) and you have overhead and signal degredation. Also go to the modem properties and set the speed all the way up. It automatically limits you to a serial connection speed. So raising that up will help also.
Is this something that you have to pay for? I called Alltel and they said they will give me the ability to use my phone as a modem for $10/month. Speeds vary from 400K to 850K down. I would like to use this when I go on trips, but I don't want to pay for it when I am not using it at home.

Andy
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Phranc

You can call and have the feature added or taken off, but you will be charged for a full month while on.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
johnnyrichter

So far I've only tried two ways of net through my blackberry, the usb/quicklink method and the bluetooth adapter/software method.

Speeds are the same either way...I average 2-3 bars 1X at home, so I'm not going anywhere near fast enough to hit any down/up limits with either method. At this point it's purely just a matter of preference.

As for thackstonns's method...I got lost trying to follow those steps, would need more details. Also...would that have any effect at all upon my actual net speeds? Or would it just simply be another option of connecting to the net?

From the looks of it...the only way I can better my net speed is if I were to get better reception. I've looked in to the possibilities with this...and it seems like "reception boosters" tend to cost $400+. It would be nice to figure out some easy/cheap way of boosting signal, even if it's just a little bit more. Anything would be better than a 130kbps down bandwidth/16kbps actual download rate.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Phranc

As long as you only have 1X on the phone, you're getting about all the speed you're going to get. So, yes, improving our signal will improve your speed.

As far asthackstonns' method, you have to make sure the USB drivers and the standard modem is installed. Then create a DUN connection. Using the Quicklink software automates all of this. Verizon also has this same software, but I don't knowl where it's located on the VZ support site. That would have to come from CS.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
leifandmindy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by thackstonns View Post

does this use my anytime minutes or is it all data?

Thanks
Leif
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #15
Phranc

Data.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #16
leifandmindy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Thanks. I wasn't sure since you have to dial #777.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
ls1norcal

Model: 9530

Is it possible to tether a Verizon 8130?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #18
camp514

PIN: 31976FE4
Thumbs up

I finally figured what was preventing me from seeing html in emails... I had to switch my browser setting from IE to blackberry.
Works great!Thanks to all that helped me track down my problems
Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
dak244
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1norcal View Post
I would love to know as well....
Old 08-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #20
Two Mike Romeo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Default It is possible to tether a Verizon 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1norcal View Post
I have a Verizon 8130 and use VZAccess Manager that I downloaded from Verizon's web site here. The download speeds aren't spectacular even with 1XEV, but it works.

Randall
Two Mike Romeo
Closed Thread