Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t
Default Yay!!!! I switch to the iPhone

Please Login to Remove!

.....OK, so here it is. About 2 weeks ago my IT guy figured out a great way to push our microsoft exchange email to his iPhone using Outlook Web Access. I was bored with my 8310 but wasn't really wanting a Bold all that much so I bit. I got a black 8g iPhone and this thing rocks. I have my work email and gmail being pushed (faster than to the bb's) and I have all of my email folders on the iPhone along with seamless wireless reconciliation. I am so glad I made the switch. Sorry BB loyalist, the bb just aint what it used to be.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Glad you found the device for you! That is what it is all about.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Get a BES and you'll get so much more than the iPhone can offer..
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm View Post
Get a BES and you'll get so much more than the iPhone can offer..
Sorry, I'm not sure what you think a BES gives you over a true Activesync/MAPI client. Would you add another layer between Exchange and Outlook? A direct connection will beat the pants over middle-ware every time. I can see EVERY folder on my Exchange server using my iPod Touch...including sync issues...and without jumping through hoops.

Now...if you want to talk about a lousy typing experience, a not easily replaced battery, marginal phone, etc...that's a different story!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumSteve View Post
Sorry, I'm not sure what you think a BES gives you over a true Activesync/MAPI client.
Added security/encryption.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Added security/encryption.
Or you could use the built-in iPhone/iPod Touch VPN.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (supercalifragilisticexpialidoc)

If you could get an app for BBM on the iphone, even I would think about making the switch.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Truth is...BES does offer a number of features, primarily in the area of remote administration, remote wipe, policies, etc...

The point I was trying to make related to mail client performance. Putting a BES (or any middle-ware solution) between a mail client and a mail server will never improve performance...it might add features though. And the cost of the middle-ware solution will tend to discourage small/medium sized businesses from using those solutions and instead follow the direct sync option with add-on security if needed.

The iPhone is a solution for people who want the superior sync capabilities provided by a BES, can't afford or justify a BES and don't want to suffer the issues of a Win Mobile device.

Last edited by BeachBumSteve; 03-08-2009 at 10:39 PM..
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
areynoso86

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

Ill Give Him 30 Days.. He Will Be Crawling Back To Bb And Begging For Bb Forgiveness..
Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by areynoso86 View Post
Ill Give Him 30 Days.. He Will Be Crawling Back To Bb And Begging For Bb Forgiveness..
Yeah, him and the other millions that are only faking that they like the phone.

not everyone wants or needs a BB
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Chevyguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Apple
PIN: Jailbroken
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Yeah, him and the other millions that are only faking that they like the phone.

not everyone wants or needs a BB
UH...yeah...we're all faking that we like a phone just to act like we're proving a point..L O L !!! Like jeremyckitching said, its all about what works for you. I've said it on here so many times, no need to put others down for their choices. I have been noticing this a lot on these BB forums , people getting mad and hating on others for switching to something they like other than Blackberries. BB is by far not the best, neither is iPhone, but I'm damn happy with my iPhone and the fact that I'm not pulling batteries 2-3 times a day, seeing that pesky hour glass every time I try to get some thing done and countless other problems I've experienced with my Bold and Curve as indicated numbers of times right here in these very forums. Don't knock it till you've tried it is what I've learned. But, its based on an individual basis and comparison stand point.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Frank Castle

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Default Wrong

I'm sorry but I support both platforms (3,000 BB, 900 Windows Mobile) and Exchange ActiveSync is no where near as robust or reliable as BES. Sure when you first get it you think it's great and why bother having a BES but after the 3rd or 4th time and you notice it stopped syncing and you have to reboot your device for EAS to kick back in you recognize having a service account that only scans for mailbox changes just flat out works better.

Also EAS forces you to download the whole attachment as well the email which causes a longer pull. BES pushes 4k chuncks which provide a quicker delivery. Not a huge factor with 3G but all you iPhone users must see how EAS just sucks down your battery - why? EAS is chatty as it is constantly asking Exchange for new mail. Sure you can opt to just poll ever X mins but what good is that? It's 2009 and push / OTA is where it's at.

That's just performance. To get the real value of BES and understand why it's the standard for almost every major company:

Ability to control / lock every option on the BB if you choose
Device level encryption as well MicroSD encryption
SMS/TXT/Phone call logging
MDS gateway - secure VPN access via BES to your network
Full reporting / asset management of your mobile workforce.

iPhone has NONE of that control and Windows Mobile requires you to buy System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008 (Seperate server, extra CAL = $$$) So while this appears a great / similar experiece to the end user. It is anything but when you have to manage and control all these devices.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #13
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacyJ View Post
Wirelessly posted (supercalifragilisticexpialidoc)

If you could get an app for BBM on the iphone, even I would think about making the switch.
FREAL!!! that's the only thing I miss.....BBM!!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

and BTW, that's not what I called this thread!! that's just wrawng!!! Ya'll be hatin' just cause the iPhone is for real now.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #15
cyberkamote
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Smart Communications PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post
I'm sorry but I support both platforms (3,000 BB, 900 Windows Mobile) and Exchange ActiveSync is no where near as robust or reliable as BES. Sure when you first get it you think it's great and why bother having a BES but after the 3rd or 4th time and you notice it stopped syncing and you have to reboot your device for EAS to kick back in you recognize having a service account that only scans for mailbox changes just flat out works better.

Also EAS forces you to download the whole attachment as well the email which causes a longer pull. BES pushes 4k chuncks which provide a quicker delivery. Not a huge factor with 3G but all you iPhone users must see how EAS just sucks down your battery - why? EAS is chatty as it is constantly asking Exchange for new mail. Sure you can opt to just poll ever X mins but what good is that? It's 2009 and push / OTA is where it's at.

That's just performance. To get the real value of BES and understand why it's the standard for almost every major company:

iPhone has NONE of that control and Windows Mobile requires you to buy System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008 (Seperate server, extra CAL = $$$) So while this appears a great / similar experiece to the end user. It is anything but when you have to manage and control all these devices.
very nice pieces of information here, thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #16
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic View Post
and BTW, that's not what I called this thread!! that's just wrawng!!! Ya'll be hatin' just cause the iPhone is for real now.
what a mod doing something to make someone look bad? you joke...
Old 03-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic View Post
Seriously?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #18
Dirky

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumSteve View Post
Truth is...BES does offer a number of features, primarily in the area of remote administration, remote wipe, policies, etc...

The point I was trying to make related to mail client performance. Putting a BES (or any middle-ware solution) between a mail client and a mail server will never improve performance...it might add features though. And the cost of the middle-ware solution will tend to discourage small/medium sized businesses from using those solutions and instead follow the direct sync option with add-on security if needed.

The iPhone is a solution for people who want the superior sync capabilities provided by a BES, can't afford or justify a BES and don't want to suffer the issues of a Win Mobile device.
BES is used by organisations with many thousands of users, very busy users at that, hammering the exchange server and the BES server(s).

BES is free for 1 user license.

Performance his it not a valid reason for not using BES.

Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirky View Post
BES is used by organisations with many thousands of users, very busy users at that, hammering the exchange server and the BES server(s).

BES is free for 1 user license.

Performance his it not a valid reason for not using BES.

Mike
Don't you love double-negative arguments? Read the thread again...and take everything in the context in which it was offered. Smaller organizations have to weigh the cost benefits of a BES solution differently than larger organizations. The cost of hardware, MS SBS, BES and a warm body to support that solution is often out-of-reach for a small business. That certainly doesn't mean they wouldn't benefit from the features.

The fact remains...individual and small groups of users need a less costly/less burdensome solution than BES or other middle-ware typically delivers. Unite! and BPS were possibilities, but they lack features. Plus, Rim has announced those products have reached end-of-life. Maybe BES 5.0 will have better choices for the small market...and hosted Exchange is also an option.

And finally, there are users who just don't need BES features...and look to performance as an evaluation tool.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #20
Dirky

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post

My week trial with the iPhone and EAS server puzzled me when I could not sync Tasks or Notes to the iPhone, Apple says the iPhone is "the best business phone, ever" ?

Also it was/is not possible to arrange meetings and invite attendees, see their availability etc with the iPhone, how can it be classed as a business phone without those basic features, let alone the "best" one "ever" ?

Oh and then one day I tried to dial a phone number which was in the notes field of my calendar, the iPhone nearly turned in to a frisbee and got slung over the road I can tell you!

But then the Blackberry does not have all the sexy apps the iPhone has and
people don't go "Wow is that an iPhone" when they see you with it but it sure gets things done *much* quicker than the iPhone, don't you think~?

Mike
Closed Thread