Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Default TN 5.1.0.29 and Canada

Please Login to Remove!

I loaded TN 5.1.0.29 on my Rogers 8800. Everything works fine except using Canadian addresses from the address book, Either from inside TN, or from the 'Drive To' option from inside the address book. US addresses are OK, and I can key in a Canadian address.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
chillspace
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800R
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Was this officially released by Telenav for the Rogers BB platform? No indication of it on their site or in their forums.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspace View Post
Was this officially released by Telenav for the Rogers BB platform? No indication of it on their site or in their forums.
No, but it should not matter. If you are a US customer that has Canadian addresses in your address book, what do you do?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
pondorpool
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
I loaded TN 5.1.0.29 on my Rogers 8800. Everything works fine except using Canadian addresses from the address book, Either from inside TN, or from the 'Drive To' option from inside the address book. US addresses are OK, and I can key in a Canadian address.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?
So my set up is a little different in that I'm using a 8800 through Cingular but live in Canada. Never-the-less I have the same kind of problem. It appears that when you select a name from the Address book within TeleNav it automatically assumes that the address is in the US - regardless of the Country that is listed in the "Country" field in the address book. When selecting an address from the BB Address book and selecting "Drive To" then it at least prompts you with a screen showing the address you are requesting on which you can change the Country from United States to Canada - then it works fine.

I'd say it's just a case of US-centric programming and we'll have to wait until they come up with a new rev of the software.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
G16aByT3

I have an 8800 with Rogers and successfully installed TN 5.1 but what is the PIN that it asks for? I tried the last 4 digits of my phone number but it doesnt work. I would like to see what it has before I revert back to 4.7

Thanks

G16aByT3
Old 06-29-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondorpool View Post
So my set up is a little different in that I'm using a 8800 through Cingular but live in Canada. Never-the-less I have the same kind of problem. It appears that when you select a name from the Address book within TeleNav it automatically assumes that the address is in the US - regardless of the Country that is listed in the "Country" field in the address book. When selecting an address from the BB Address book and selecting "Drive To" then it at least prompts you with a screen showing the address you are requesting on which you can change the Country from United States to Canada - then it works fine.

I'd say it's just a case of US-centric programming and we'll have to wait until they come up with a new rev of the software.
But 4.7 works properly.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by G16aByT3 View Post
I have an 8800 with Rogers and successfully installed TN 5.1 but what is the PIN that it asks for? I tried the last 4 digits of my phone number but it doesnt work. I would like to see what it has before I revert back to 4.7

Thanks

G16aByT3
Go to the Telenav website and set up a MyTelenav account, they will e-mail you the PIN.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
G16aByT3

Quote:
Go to the Telenav website and set up a MyTelenav account, they will e-mail you the PIN.
If I setup an account do I need to pay extra on top of what I am paying Rogers? This is confusing.

Thanks

G16aByT3
Old 06-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
CanuckBB

Quote:
If I setup an account do I need to pay extra on top of what I am paying Rogers? This is confusing.

Thanks

G16aByT3
No you don't.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
G16aByT3

Angry Telenav are a bunch of HOSERS!!

[RANT]
I have never been so disgruntled by this company in my life. After talking to 4 CSRs and waiting a total of 2.5 hours to speak to them. They still don't provide service to their customers. Albeit that I am on Rogers, but I want to use the Mytelenav portal. All I wanted was a PIN so I can use 5.1. Understand its not supported by the carrier, but I will take that risk. I pay for the data plan, I pay for the service and what not. Why is it so difficult for somebody to understand the "Customer gets what he is PAYING FOR!" Its too bad, I am going to have to find another solution to get GPS functionality and by the looks of it, its slim pickings thats for sure.

Sometimes, I wish I was a programmer... I would make GPS cool!!

[/RANT]

G16aByT3

Last edited by G16aByT3; 07-04-2007 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: title change
Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #11
Cyclops
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

Quote:
[RANT]
I have never been so disgruntled by this company in my life. After talking to 4 CSRs and waiting a total of 2.5 hours to speak to them. They still don't provide service to their customers. Albeit that I am on Rogers, but I want to use the Mytelenav portal. All I wanted was a PIN so I can use 5.1. Understand its not supported by the carrier, but I will take that risk. I pay for the data plan, I pay for the service and what not. Why is it so difficult for somebody to understand the "Customer gets what he is PAYING FOR!" Its too bad, I am going to have to find another solution to get GPS functionality and by the looks of it, its slim pickings thats for sure.

Sometimes, I wish I was a programmer... I would make GPS cool!!

[/RANT]

G16aByT3
If you already have a Telenav 4.7 account with Rogers, all you have to do to get your PIN is: go Here: Forgot PIN and enter your Rogers cellular number, you'll receive a text message shortly after with your PIN, that you can use for 5.1.

Hope this helps
Old 07-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
G16aByT3

Cyclops!! Thank You.... Thank God for this forum is here for Blackberry users to share information!!

G16aByT3
Old 09-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
chris9999

PIN: N/A
Default Telenav v5.1 for Rogers 8310 in Canada -- works on 8800 too

The wait for Telenav v5 update for Roger's BB 8800 in Canada appears to be over... I always found telenav v4.7 painfully slow but I didn't want to put up with the problem with the earlier v5 of it assuming all address book entries were in the U.S.

I've been watching the Telenav OTA download page for Rogers (TeleNav) and it now has a link for the BB 8310, JAD version 5.1.0.65. I downloaded and installed this on my 8800 and have not encountered any issues. No problems recognizing the country field from my address book entries either.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #14
ZBB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
But 4.7 works properly.
5.1 broke a lot of things that 4.7 got right... Unfortunately 4.7 was a resource hog, so I live with the broken things in 5.1 (mostly text input on the Suretype devices -- 5.1 is horrible)...
Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #15
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9999 View Post
The wait for Telenav v5 update for Roger's BB 8800 in Canada appears to be over... I always found telenav v4.7 painfully slow but I didn't want to put up with the problem with the earlier v5 of it assuming all address book entries were in the U.S.

I've been watching the Telenav OTA download page for Rogers (TeleNav) and it now has a link for the BB 8310, JAD version 5.1.0.65. I downloaded and installed this on my 8800 and have not encountered any issues. No problems recognizing the country field from my address book entries either.
It works. Seems to not have the traffic info in it though. Sucks because I travel to US cities that have it available and it works.

I wish Telenav would get their act together and stop trying to produce carrier specific versions.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 AM   #16
dicin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

I agree it is completely ridicules. They have given Rogers exclusivity with their specific.
I have a BB 8310 using Fido. I have been using WayFinder and amAzeGPS with no problem. I would like to try out Telenav however I absolutely need to go through Rogers.
Completely absurd!
Closed Thread