BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
Dan Slaby

Model: 7290
Default Email Issue: Recieve but not send.

Please Login to Remove!

I am using Exchange 2003 SP1 and BES 4.0. I changed one unit which initialized ok and can recieve email, but not able to send email. I checked to make sure that all the units were configured the same. Any suggestions to where I can start troubleshooting? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Anka

Model: 7250
Cool

Hello

Verify your Services Books on the device. You can find them in the options icon. Be sure you have ''Desktop CMIME'' listed in there.

Now, if this service book is listed, try removing it and re-add.
You can also send back the Services Books from the console manager.
If all of this fail, then, you will have to wipe the handheld, remove the user from the console and remove the user state database on the server.

Re-add and reactivate this user. Everything should be fine.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
blackberry1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers In Canada - Cingular in US

Further to what Anka mentioned,its possible your problem may be simpler

On the Blackberry go into Options>Message Services

Make sure the Desktop[CMIME] Service is selected

Similar symptoms are commonly reported when user may be initially using BIS/BWC and activates on BES

The default messaging service still remains Webclient[CMIME],hence emails are received and can be replied ,it fails when you try to compose and send a new message .
Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T

I had a very similar issue. I could receive email and compose email but could not reply to emails. My only choice when replying to an email was 'save draft'. I deleted the service book for messaging and resent it from BES. That didn't do it. One thing I seen was the when I receive a message it said 'Received Using: 'unknown'. When it works it shows 'Desktop (Secure).

I wiped the BB and still had the same issue. I reloaded the OS on the BB and still had the same issue. I removed the user from BES and re-added and it worked fine. Wish I would of tried that first!

Hope it helps,
Doug
Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
andidarmali
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Do you activate your handheld using desktop manager (wired connection)? I suggest you to activate your handheld using wireless activation method. This method will configure your handheld from the very first time to do everything wirelessly
Old 07-25-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry1
The default messaging service still remains Webclient[CMIME],hence emails are received and can be replied ,it fails when you try to compose and send a new message .
Actually, Desktop [CMIME] will always overwrite the Web Client [CMIME] as the default messaging service since it is the more secure of the two, and holds a higher priority.

Quite often if the user is getting a "no messaging services are configured, you will only be able to save a draft" message, delete the Desktop [CMIME] service book, then undeleting it will cause it to re-register itself properly with the messaging services.

Check the user's incoming email. If it says "Sent using: unknown (secure)" then it's the service book has become 'unregisterred' with the messaging services and delete/undelete should resolve it. If not, you can try delete the service book and resend them from the BES. If not, you can try to delete it and use the desktop manager to generate a new encryption key (if you have DTM installed). If not, then it's probably easiest to remove the user from the BES, add them back, and redo the EA.

Zro
Old 07-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
blackberry1
Thumbs Must Hurt

"Actually, Desktop [CMIME] will always overwrite the Web Client [CMIME] as the default messaging service since it is the more secure of the two, and holds a higher priority."

In theory:- May be yes - I have seen Webclient be the default service tons of times , when Desktop Service book in on the device.

If it says "Sent using: unknown (secure)" then it's the service book has become 'unregisterred' with the messaging services and delete/undelete should resolve it

Deleting and Unknown[secure] service book will do nothing- the service book does not have information to pull the updated informationf from the BES.

In this case delete the service book and resend from BES or genereate keys over the wire or reactivate what ever works for u
Old 07-25-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
In theory:- May be yes - I have seen Webclient be the default service tons of times , when Desktop Service book in on the device.
If you have a handheld set up on BIS, then set it up on a BES, the BES service book will register itself as the default messaging service. Hence the reason that new people setting up DTM for their BIS service receive mailboxes full of Redirector messages...because they installed DTM for BES/Desktop and not for BIS.

Quote:
Deleting and Unknown[secure] service book will do nothing- the service book does not have information to pull the updated informationf from the BES.
I didn't say to delete the Unknown[secure] service book. Just that the message will come in as "Received Using: Unknown (secure)" becasue it does not know what service book the message is supposed to be associated with. You delete the Desktop [CMIME] service book and undelete it to force the handheld to re-register it.

Zro
Old 07-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
blackberry1
Thumbs Must Hurt

You delete the Desktop [CMIME] service book and undelete it to force the handheld to re-register it.

If you are receiving emails using Unknown[cmime] ,90% there is no desktop[cmime]

Where do you think the emails are coming from?(when they are tagged Using :Unknown[secure]

If you have a handheld set up on BIS, then set it up on a BES, the BES service book will register itself as the default messaging service. Hence the reason that new people setting up DTM for their BIS service receive mailboxes full of Redirector messages...because they installed DTM for BES/Desktop and not for BIS.

I will maintain my previous answer on that : In theory only..in practice I have seen this..

The reason you see [email address] or flycatcher messages in your mailbox has nothing to do with what were discussing,atleast I think;)

I will jst explain that phenomenon aswell, you have basincally set ur self up for Desktop Redirector and the Desktop Redirec`tor is not running

hence the emails coming in cannot be decrypted and the mesdsages ekeeping piling up
Old 07-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

If the Desktop [CMIME] service book becomes corrupt or unregistered with the message services then any messages that come in from the BES will say "Received Using: unknown (secure)". RIM's Handheld Escalation Team will tell you the same thing (they're the ones that told me when I had it happen on my handheld).

Yes the reason you see the network messages is because you set yourself up as redirector....and it's because the Desktop [CMIME] service book has taken over the Default Messaging service setting. Otherwise they would have stayed at web client and the desktop cmime would never get used.

And don't say that "they've set themselves up for redirector" because all they did was install DTM with that type of configuration and connected to the USB to sync.

Zro
Old 07-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #11
blackberry1
Thumbs Must Hurt

And don't say that "they've set themselves up for redirector" because all they did was install DTM with that type of configuration and connected to the USB to sync
You do not get Deskop Service books without generating keys..

Last edited by blackberry1; 07-25-2006 at 09:32 PM..
Old 07-26-2006, 03:00 AM   #12
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

That may be true, but doesn't change the fact that as soon as you get those service books it will set your default messaging service to be desktop. Those service books could be redirector or BES...doesn't matter.

Why else would RIM finally make it NOT default to BES/Redirector setup in the new version of DTM?

Techincally yes, they did set it up that way (we know that, they didn't read the prompts correctly) but in their mind, they didn't. And if you were correct about the desktop service book not setting itself to the default messaging service, it wouldn't matter.

Zro
Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #13
blackberry1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Zro!!! all I am trying to say is that I have personally seen the default service book set to webclient when the user is setup for BES and has a valid Desktop[CMIME]

And I kept say all through ... what you say is correct in theory aswell.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #14
onelikeseabass

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zro View Post
If the Desktop [CMIME] service book becomes corrupt or unregistered with the message services then any messages that come in from the BES will say "Received Using: unknown (secure)". RIM's Handheld Escalation Team will tell you the same thing (they're the ones that told me when I had it happen on my handheld).

Yes the reason you see the network messages is because you set yourself up as redirector....and it's because the Desktop [CMIME] service book has taken over the Default Messaging service setting. Otherwise they would have stayed at web client and the desktop cmime would never get used.

And don't say that "they've set themselves up for redirector" because all they did was install DTM with that type of configuration and connected to the USB to sync.

Zro
Ok, so what was the solution??? I've got a few devices with this problem. Deleting the Desktop (CMIME) service book and then repushing from BES or redoing EA does *not* fix the problem. Messages continue to come in using Unknown (Secure).

Is the only solution to delete BES account and start from scratch? That seems ludicrous if so...

Last edited by onelikeseabass; 08-30-2007 at 02:21 PM..
Old 08-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
onelikeseabass

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Seeing as how deleting BES accounts and wiping devices is a very destructive way of correcting problems, here's a fix that doesn't impact the client's messages, device settings or BES account.

- Connect the BlackBerry to a PC running BlackBerry Desktop Manager
- Double click Backup and Restore and then click Backup to make a full backup of the device
- Click Advanced and clear the following databases: Folder Id, Folders, Messages, and Purged Messages
- On the BlackBerry, go to Options, Advanced Options, Service Book and delete CMIME (Desktop)
- On your BES select Resend Service Book from the IT Admin section of the client's account properties
- Go back to the Desktop Manager, select Backup and Restore, click Advanced, and restore *only* the messages database.

You can now send/reply to messages.
Closed Thread